Any Fans of that old Taye Diggs TV Show "KEVIN HILL&quo

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by PeyBackTime8818, Dec 22, 2005.

1. PeyBackTime8818

PeyBackTime8818 New Member

Since this is a site all about IR dating, I thought alot about if any of you were fans of the recently canceled UPN show Kevin Hill? It was about a guy named Kevin Hill (played by Taye Diggs) who was a lawyer and he finds out he has a 2 year old daughter and he gets stuck with raising her alone. His law firm is FILLED with super gorgeous white women who flirt with him constantly and he dates almost mostly white women on the show. Unfortunately I think this is what may have gotten the show canceled. Diggs got some hate mail about staying away from white women (he is married to one in real life). It only lasted one season I believe but I was a big fan and was so happy something like this was finally on television. Anyone in here used to watch it and what did you think of it and how it portrayed IR dating in the big city? I thought it was pretty accurate.

2. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

i liked the show but here in Philly its not old, just in the last year or so

3. Kid Rasta

Kid Rasta Restricted

It didn't help the ratings in the Afr-Am community (mainly BW) that he was feasting on fine-ass WW.

The Kid Rasta 8)

4. PeyBackTime8818

You're exactly right kid rasta...and UPN is a channel geared toward african americans, almost like a BET for network TV. I always felt that if the show was on ABC or Fox or NBC it might have a chance. A channel with a more white fanbase or at least a more racially diverse fanbase might have been more accepting of a show as progressive as that. Maybe even HBO! At least see some cursing and more sex and nudity then! LOL Oh well, I guess network TV just wasnt ready for a show like that...too bad!

5. LA

LA Well-Known Member

I actually never got a chance to see the show. But from the previews and ads I saw for the show, it looked like some entertainment. And you're right, the WW in the show looked sooo good. But yea, like the others said, I don't majority of America wants to tune in to "some uppity black guy hooking up with attractive, successful white women". It's a shame.....but then again, it's only been about 50 yrs since segregation....

On a side note, I don't know if I would be as interested to watch a rather attractive BW woman hooking up with attractive WM all day in her law firm.

6. tonytony

tonytony New Member

i liked the kevin hill show, i thought it was good especially as the main character was not a stereotype and dated interracially too. i know taye diggs has working on a new project i wonder what it is, cos i like the dude and i think his very underrated. id like to see more from him in the future

7. LaydeezmanCris

LaydeezmanCris New Member

You're exceptionally right, my brotha. I loved Kevin Hill- the show that is. It was great and unsurprisingly enough, i didnt expect the show to last that much considering it was aired on UPN which is supposedly aimed at African-Americans. And the white women on that show were freaking beautiful. But like all the brothas on this site are aware of, mainstream America does not want to see a successful black male swarming with gorgeous white honeys. White men dont want to see their women interact with black males and black women... well y'all know the rest. :lol:

America definitely needs a wake-up call. But then again, racism still occurs everyday unadmittedly so it is no shame. But i feel the show would have done a little bit better on HBO or somewhere like that but you dont really think the white man wants to see that either.

8. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Well-Known Member

Someday America will be ready for this but today is not the day......IR is acceptable on T.V. as long as there are some serious character/physical/mental etc flaws with either the BM the WW, or both.......but if we are talking about intelligent, good-looking folk that would actually seem like a worthy couple in real life forget it

9. Kid Rasta

Kid Rasta Restricted

I think that KH would have done much better on the cable channels, because you don't need as many viewers as on the networks to be successful; plus, on the cable channels the love/sex scenes could be way hotter than on the networks. Since KH was a cutting-edge series, it should have be where it was most at home.

The Kid Rasta 8)

10. PeyBackTime8818

Im not sure if this was the case but what I think happened was the execs at UPN saw the script and premise of the show: "Single black lawyer in the city is forced to raise his long lost 2 year old baby alone". And they must have thought, "Wow this would make a good show...black women love Taye Diggs". Plus everyone is tired of the same old "single mother's struggles" cliches in movies and TV shows. No one has ever talked about how it is for single fathers.

But Taye i believe was also executive producer of the show (I think I saw his name on the credits as that, it happens with a lot of stars on TV shows who want more input, such as Kiefer Sutherland on "24", but rarely do they get that honor during the show's first season before it has a chance to even prove if it is a success or not). When they did the casting for the rest of the women they didnt know that Taye would pick all FINE white women. That killed the shows hopes right there. I doubt those head honchos at UPN would have put it on if the script read, "single black lawyer in the big city must raise his long lost baby alone while screwing gorgeous white chicks".

11. SardonicGenie

SardonicGenie New Member

Pey really knows how to liven up these boards with these good conversation threads.

When I was watching KH, I said to myself while noticing all of those hot ass white chicks in it, with a black man in the lead who isn't a product of stereotyping: "I sure hope THIS doesn't get canned. It probably will, but I hope not, and if so, then I'll know why. I see an Asian chick on this show too, so I really hope this doesn't get canned, but I think it will. "

"I REALLY think this will get canned, but I'll play dumb in the meantime."

Needless to say, my intuition was on key.

Maybe someday America will accept shows like this, but it won't be very soon.

12. Kid Rasta

Kid Rasta Restricted

I'll state it again...KH should have been on cable.

The Kid Rasta 8)

13. INJERA70

INJERA70 New Member

Actually the child was his niece,his sister died and left her for him to raise. I liked the show he dated a variety of women on the show black and white.

14. karmacoma.

karmacoma. Well-Known Member

Taye Diggs was supa hot in the mid-to-late '90s and was on track to be the black Tom Cruise until he married his wife, then his BW fan base turned their backs on him, same as Wesley Snipes (now straight-to-DVD). Think about it, "Half and Half" is on like season 6 or 7, yet "Kevin Hill" is dead after just 1 season.

15. MistressB

MistressB New Member

God, is it all really that shallow in the US?

16. MistressB

MistressB New Member

I'm a fan of Taye Diggs, he's sooo hot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(K)[/img]

17. Rosey

Rosey New Member

WW and BM together outnumber BW so I don't understand why this show couldn't stay afloat.

18. Kid Rasta

Kid Rasta Restricted

Kevin Hill was on the UPN network which has a core audience of African Americans....so, if the African American community doesn't support a series, it dies. However, UPN's core audience is becoming more diversified. In other words, more whites are tuning in to UPN.

Having wrote all of the above, I think that Kevin Hill should have been on cable where a much smaller core audience is needed for success (think: Sopranos and Sex and the City).

19. karmacoma.

karmacoma. Well-Known Member

From # 1 at the box office to death threats and a cancelled show: welcome to the USA!

20. MistressB

MistressB New Member

Pathetic (not you, I don't mean!)