Any History Buffs?

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bliss, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Great photos. I wonder who was that Black entertainer?

2. Soulthinker

My mistake the film was made by William's son Claude. The movie I had mentioned is about William that was made in the early 1950's.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed that, Red. Its amazing how little London has changed, the charm remains.

4. redlolly

redlolly Well-Known Member

Isn't it just! I know nothing about the film-making process, but I adore the little girl in the park.
    Scary to think if she was 5 years old in that film she'd be 95 now.
    It must have been really difficult to match the new version to the old one so closely. I think I read somewhere that the girl in the new film is the cameraman's daughter.
    Also really poignant that the part where the policeman is directing traffic in the old film shows a war memorial in the new one. It's from the second world war, so didn't exist in 1927.
    It also struck me that although such a long time has passed and today's world is a totally different place, actually London hasn't really changed that much.

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

The war memorial tidbit...didn't notice it or know that. Poignant. I did notice the little girl.
    What stuck out too was the lady sitting by the pond or River Thames?
    And the Bridge..l thought..now Terrorists have tainted it.

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

BUFFALO SOLDIER IN BUFFALO COAT
    Photographed by John C. H. Grabill in Sturgis, Dakota Territory, circa 1886, this cabinet card depicts an unknown soldier in the 25th Infantry and is the only known image of a Buffalo Soldier wearing a buffalo robe.
    [​IMG]

Image of an unidentified soldier in the all-Black 24th Infantry (was undoubtedly made just for the sitter)
    [​IMG]

(*This picture below contradicts the first picture's status as)
    Buffalo Soldiers" of the 25th Infantry, some wearing buffalo robes, in Keogh, Montana, in 1890.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

8. Soulthinker

Saw that photo about Black soldiers in Germany.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

10. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

I enjoy reading about the Napoleonic Wars, the Machine Age, the Renaissance, and ancient Rome.

11. beccaomecca

beccaomecca Well-Known Member

I enjoy learning about ancient history. I was lucky enough to go to an exhibition called Exploring Ancient Lives, so many artefacts and incredibleness! It’s a shame they didn’t completely preserve the area where the pyramids are in Egypt so you can get a true feel of everything. I met a lady on a train years and years ago who told me if there’s anywhere in the world that you should go I’m telling you you need to visit the pyramids in Egypt lol.

12. beccaomecca

Have you made it to Rome? My aim was to make it there for my 30th, but that ship has well sailed and sinking.

13. Soulthinker

Love reading Black history and the diaspora in Europe and Australia. Recently, l read of Black jazz bands being banned in Australia.

14. Soulthinker

Wished there's a scene in 1883 of a Dutton ancestor encountered one of the Buffalo Soldiers in Montana.

15. beccaomecca

WHAT lol I find that very hard to believe. We embrace all cultures! And have jazz clubs. Only thing we’re lacking is soul food!!

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Have several relatives born there. Most of my family has visited, but l have yet to. Bucket list..<3

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I've been to Rome, drove by the Collusium, but fell ill so couldn't go to visit it fully, but the guy l was traveling with, he went.
    Said he was strong-armed by the soldiers there to pay them when he took a pic with them.
    I'm going to post the pic, lol.

18. Soulthinker

Google Jazz band deportation 1928.

19. beccaomecca

I’m with you now! Now that I see the authorities were the ones to drive the band out. The authorities still to this day are incredibly racist. Most of the youth detention centres here are filled with Aboriginals the percentage of whites is very very low.

20. Soulthinker

The Black diaspora via US is strange. Also, about the Black US troops in WWII.