Atheism

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by goggleyes, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

The Christian religion has overlooked some the most horrific crimes committed against people. Nazi germany was no exception. There were Christians who spoke out against the party but they were silenced forcefully and quickly.
    The Roman Catholic Church was one such Christian sect that didn't stand up against the brutal treatment of anyone who opposed or didn't represent the ideal German race.

You don't always have to do things in the name of your god to leave a bad taste in others mouths regarding your religion. Christianity has of course done this in an unparalleled fashion, but in the case of Germany during WWII it was what they didn't do that is sickening.

2. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

A bullet to the head by mussolini's military always makes you think twice.

3. luvattractivewomen

luvattractivewomen New Member

I am well aware. I had the holocaust shoved down my throat as a child and teen for years (my mother is jewish). In contrast, more slaves died during the Atlantic slave trade under Christian rule as oppose to those that died during the holocaust. As a matter of fact there is a jewish man (the name escapes me at the moment) who worked for stalin that ordered the killing of over 10 million Ukrainians, yet these things tend to get left out. Ultimately, religious people tend to use their religion as an excuse. All people really need is an excuse. I guess what bothers most people about religion is that some use it as an excuse to do the exact opposite of what their religion tells them. Personally, I believe religion works for some people because some people have no shame. And it seems that religion adds some shame to those types. I don't believe in God but, I have faith in myself. Which is why I clarified that being an atheist does not mean that you are lacking in faith. Just that you don't believe in a deity.

4. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

Yes..the slave trade lasted much longer than hitlers Germany.
    What baffles me the very most..is that both acts were committed on the same principle: that blacks and Jews (and other targeted groups in Germany) were not human.
    We stood back for a while on Germany and of course were bombed by the Japanese..but basically as a people we were appalled at what was happening in Germany.
    A lot of Americans aren't appalled at the treatment of the slaves. In some instances, they say it was a good thing! For the slaves.

I don't really understand how that's possible other than because the Jewish people were white (but hated still) they are less hated than a person with less than white skin...that's their reasoning I guess.

Makes no sense to me but whatever.

5. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

Yeah? And?
    I get that people don't want to die..but isn't Christianity based on the premise that someone else died for you? So that he could live by what he felt was the truth?

*shrugs*

Just think about all the poor, poor, unsaved souls that wouldn't even have a religion if Jesus had said: fuck you. Save yourself. (Sarcasm end there)

6. fireykitty

fireykitty New Member

Born & raised atheist :D

7. SharenoH8

SharenoH8 Active Member

I am Dutch so I firmly believe in cheesus

8. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

9. SharenoH8

SharenoH8 Active Member

It's him, It's him. All Hail!

10. Morning Star

Mayhap a thousand years and more, cheese your sins away!

11. Archman

Archman Well-Known Member

You go a couple months and then unlike no other member,.....You just can't seem help your self.... you have to come back to goading and making it known to all that this is one of your favorite targets to lampoon..... even as you try to stay on the fringes of technicality, your intent is clear.....Of all the things in your adult life you delight in mocking for fun, this is by far the worst choice.... But remember my words on this day MS,.....there is a judgment being specifically prepared for you my friend..........

12. SharenoH8

SharenoH8 Active Member

Judgement day is so 12/21/12 :D

13. Morning Star

When imaginary creations creates a greater level of discomfort when mocked, as opposed to somebody insulting someone dear to you (like say, your mother), not only would I prescribe a high level of Preparation-H for your anally retentive attitude, but a double dose of prozac so you can calm yourself and whisk back into reality.

It's a shame when delusions override rational thinking and your hell, fire and brimstone types are just the medicine I need to remind myself that there are zombies and slaves still running amok. I may not need a shotgun or a Beretta to do them in, but I can easily distort their minds with reason. But, is it strong enough to penetrate the hard surfaces of ill-fated dogma? Heh, we'll have to meet face-to-face to see if I can unclog your ears, eyes, and mind and release you from the shackles of torment.

Mayhap a thousand lives and more recreate a horrific scene of your past, so you can see the hellish heir of your ways.

14. blackbrah

blackbrah Well-Known Member

Y'all aren't hethens and it is great to have free thought on religion/philosophy. Only thing that irks me are the atheists who push their beliefs on you (usually online). They are akin to overzealous pompous religious people. I equate them one in the same.

Great to talk to people of different religions or people who are atheist on topics though. :)

15. KingAesop

KingAesop Active Member

I usually don't reply to comments posted in the religion threads but you clearly stated undisputable facts in your explaination and I felt compelled to reply. I clearly have no bias against people who prefer atheism over deism or any one of the "theisms". A man's beliefs are his personal preferences. They are the byproduct of accumulated experiences during his or her lifetime. Ironically, I do believe in the deity, original cause, divine spark, the monad, the grand architect of the universe, or whatever you choose to call him. I was raised to believe in God through the lens of Christianity, by way of the Southern Baptist tradition. A person's religion is largely determined by the religion of his or her parents and where they were born in the world, so I voluntary choose not to hold it against someone who believes in a concept of God that's totally different from my concept of him (or her for that matter...). Basically, the point I'm trying to make is simple. When studied properly, it is revealed that nearly all world religions have something very valuable in common; they all center around a savior, a leader, or a divine concept who's main desire is to bring mankind together under the guise of truth. Let me restate the most important point of what I just said. All religion revolves around the coagulation of mankind into following the concept of some form of truth. It appears that "people" are the main focal point and target group of all main religious creeds.

Ricky Gervais is a famous atheist who goes above and beyond to care for, uplift, and take care of his mother and other loved ones. He believes that he doesn't need a religious creed to make him a good person. Instead, he believes that you just need to have a good heart. He is also very active in helping teenagers diagnosed with cancer through the work he provides with his cancer foundation. It seems that he is focused on "peoplehood".

I guarantee if you focus on being good to "people", you will come in contact with what you thought you would never find...

I'm not religious; I'm spiritual. There is a big difference, and I absolutely have no problem conversing with atheistic brethren.

16. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

It is God who creates plagues, the devil only cares about orgies and metal music. ;)

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Me too lol

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  18. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

19. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I was having a conversation with one of my sisters (actual sibling), yesterday. She was telling me how much she cringed whenever spooky man music was playing. She said it was too sexual. I thought about it (Common themes of: "he came inside me", "let him inside me", "let him inside my heart", "he is within me", "eating of him", "drinking of him"), and I was like damn... she's fucking right.

20. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

Learning to worship white deities makes you more prone to trusting white men and distrusting black men. I vaguely remember there being an article about it in the guardian, years ago.