Australia 4 ya

Discussion in 'In the News' started by beccaomecca, Dec 8, 2022.

1. beccaomecca

beccaomecca Well-Known Member

Dogs that fatally mauled Energex-contracted meter reader Kane Minion at a Greenbank property have been destroyed

Posted Yesterday at 10:06am, updated 21h ago21 hours ago
    [​IMG]
    Two of the three dogs found on the property were seized by authorities.(ABC News)

Two dogs that fatally mauled meter reader Kane Minion at a property in Greenbank, south of Brisbane, on the weekend have been destroyed.

The dogs — a bandog bull-mastiff cross and a Rhodesian ridgeback cross — were seized by animal control officers on Saturday after the attack on Mr Minion.

The 42-year-old Energex contractor was mauled while trying to read an electrical meter at the property on Ison Road.

He was found by emergency services in a critical condition, but died at the scene.

[​IMG]
    Electricity meter reader Kane Minion was killed doing his job.(Facebook)
    When police arrived they found three dogs at the property and impounded two of them.

Logan City Council confirmed on Wednesday night that the dogs had been "swiftly and humanely euthanased" on Tuesday.

[​IMG]
    The owners of the property were not at home at the time of the attack.(ABC News: Nickoles Coleman)
    In a statement, the council said it had "zero-tolerance" for dogs that act in a way that could compromise community safety.

"Earlier this week, the owners of the dogs legally surrendered the animals to [the] council to allow the matter to be dealt with in the best interest of public safety," the statement said.

"Yesterday, after advice that Queensland Police Service had completed the relevant part of its investigation, the dogs were swiftly and humanely euthanased.

What to do if you're confronted by an aggressive dog
    Animal behaviour experts and Queensland's largest energy provider explain how the community can stay safe from dog attacks after a electricity meter reader was mauled to death by dogs last weekend.

[​IMG]
    Read more

Earlier this week a spokesperson said the council was not aware of any previous problems with dogs at the Ison Road property.

Both dogs were registered with the council and neither was on any list of regulated menacing or dangerous dogs.

The council said it would continue to work with a recently formed task force to review Queensland animal management laws.

"This review aims to promote greater levels of public safety through a reform of the legislation responsible for managing dangerous dogs within the community," the council statement said.

"[The] Council will continue to advocate for tougher dangerous dog legislation, as well as sharing with relevant stakeholders all information relating to the location of regulated menacing or dangerous dogs in the City of Logan."

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

I don't know why people want to own dogs capable of that kind of violence. Imagine owning a dog that if it chose to, could end your life.
    As I get older. my fave pure breeds are dachshunds, beagles and basset hounds. I'm not down for a dog I might have to fight or has an attitude problem.

3. beccaomecca

beccaomecca Well-Known Member

I feel like the whole situation is so incredibly tragic.
    There was clearly a sign on the gate yet for whatever reason the meter reader (who was about to get married) chose to enter the property.
    One of the dogs was a Rhodesian ridgeback, I had one of these dogs growing up and it didn’t have a bad bone in its body. A dog will do it’s best to protect its owner and territory but somethings gone terribly wrong in this case. All over a god damn meter reading!!

I’m with you on that, big dogs have always scared me lol although I have one of the sweetest types of dogs (a pug) she’s still got hella sass and small dog syndrome haha she will go OFF and act like a savage at anyone at the front door lol

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022