BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Because we mostly speak in generalizations that's how people speak. Americans love baseball a lot don't. Black men love a woman with a far ass, some don't. Women love to shop, some don't.
    Dude isn't wrong though. A lot of bw don't dislike it because they feel superior they usually feel like one of the very few avenues of coupling is being cut off. Generally white men are on some inferiority white supremacist bullshit.

2. MilkandCoffee

MilkandCoffee Well-Known Member

I agree with TDK and Coli. Their reasons aren't parallel.

But that does bring up 2 questions; is every white man against ir racists? Is every BW against ir not racists? I'm curious on some of your opinions.

3. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

If your against anything because of race, that makes you racist in opinion.

Correction that makes you racist logically.

4. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Westworld

There's a great romance developing between Jeffrey Wright and Sidse Knudsen on Westworld.

5. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

Racism is about power, access, and influence. White men have a disproportionate amount of it; therefore, their biases are elevated to racism, which implies a system of repression, a socio-cultural version of Adam Smith's invisible hand.

6. darkcurry

Even though I firmly believe (because it's true.) that ANYBODY can be racist and it makes them horrible as well, because the majority of the elite in this country is white from billionaires, Government leaders, sports team owners, corporation owners, studio heads in the entertainment industry, ect. racism from white people comes with WAY more power than racism from non white people. Because all it takes is for a lot of people to be ignorant to systemic racism and boom, people of color gets hit with cro-bar of racism, while white people gets hit with the fist of it when they face racism in this country. Still horrible, but white people in this country has the POWER of racism on their side.

7. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

This. And it is tiring to see the people exempt black women from that charge as if they are immune from such feelings and attitudes.

8. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

These events/breakups have occurred roughly over the past one to two years.

R.I.P. Dr Algernon Edwards and Cornelia Robertson (The Knick)

R.I.P. Marcel and Rebecca (The Originals)

R.I.P. Libby and Robert (Masters of Sex)

R.I.P. Jamie and Angela (Power)

R.I.P. Jackson Avery and April Kepner (Grey's Anatomy)

R.I.P. Andre and Rhonda (Empire)

These are examples of high profile IR pairings on TV between black male characters and non-black (mostly white) female characters that were recently or quickly torn apart not too long after being paired. I don't watch all of these shows (at least not regularly) but I am aware of all the IR hookups on these shows. Now some of these breakups may be fakeouts, temporary roadblocks meant to throw viewers for a loop before the couples are reunited (in typical soap opera style fashion). Others are more permanent. Rhonda is dead on Empire, dismissed in a cartoonish fashion. Libby and Robert finally hooked up at the end of season two of Masters of Sex, but the third season jumped ahead a few years and we learned that Robert had died sometime in between....and it took most of the third season before the audience learned that. The Knick is most likely not coming back so Algie and Cornelia's unlikely reuniting becomes even less likley.

As of tonight should I add Kara and Jimmy Olsen of Supergirl to the R.I.P. list? Looks like it as Kara does pretty much an about-face (an ungrateful one at that) after trying to pursue a relationship for the entire season one of the show. Season two begins and she has a "change of heart" that came out of nowhere although I am not too surprised. I haven't seen the last three eps of Luke Cage but the all-black writing staff seemed intent in trying to convey the message that Luke would only want some brown sugar, not someone like Jessica Jones. Are those folks trying to derail The Luke-Jessica romance and future marriage?

Seriously as black female characters are increasing paired with white males in high profile relationships on the small screen (Walking Dead has TWO of those going on right now when the comic book itself pretty much had none), the fewer examples of black guys in IR pairings seem to be decreasing, being cut off quickly before they can even bloom. Meanwhile we have black female viewers making an industry of ensuring that "black" Iris West is paired with Barry Allen (the Flash) and then going further to demand that a black actress was picked for the Flash movie too. And where are black males to champion, say Luke and Jessica and Jimmy and Kara? It is like people here pat themselves on the back for the crumbs that are tossed the way so far as black male in TV IR pairings are concerned without realizing how truly underrepresented such pairings are in comparison to Black women and non-black men.

Let me add that almost every relationship I listed in this post have been met with venom by black females on social media, particular Jamie and Angela of Power and as of late Luke Cage ad Jessica Jones. And black dudes remain silent.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  9. Shulz021

Shulz021 Well-Known Member

No Worries Iron Fist will his taste of Misty Knight on the Netflix show. :smt036

10. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Holy shit wish I could rep you 100 times.
    So damn true. Was gonna post about the Supergirl b.s.
    Out of nowhere they're gonna be friends. Bet now the nerdy white guy gets the love.
    And you're sooooo right about all these bw wm pairings that her so much love.
    Bm are too macho to complain. We just take it because complaining makes us look less manly. No one else carries that burden.
    We'll see with Luke Cage I think they'll change it back. Damn why is it black men have no voice.

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

No, they are not. Jessica Jones as a character (Netflix wise) is still in a dark space compared to where she needs to be in order to become the wife of Luke Cage. I say give them the second season of Jessica Jones to start cleaning her up from the alcoholic no fucks given character she is. Do you really want Luke Cage with a somewhat emotionally dysfunctional alcoholic ??

Don't be surprised however if they do play up the Luke Cage/Claire Temple relationship for awhile before the official Luke & Jessica coupling considering that was an actual long standing relationship in the early Luke Cage comics and carried over into the Power Man & Iron Fist days before they broke up.

12. darkcurry

Yeah, but being as though they already put Luke and Jessica together in the first season of Jessica Jones, and they are more likely to reunite in The Defenders it's looking like that kiss and those moments with Claire Temple on Luke Cage are the only thing they are going with for the Netflix characters unless they decide to do a love triangle(You know this industry LOVES their love triangles). Luke himself is flawed as well as Jessica, I think in the reunion you will see a different Jessica Jones to set the scene for season 2.

Also remember they aren't obviously going with all the relationships these two had in the comics... Luke also dated She-Hulk and Jessica dated Ant-Man.

13. Shulz021

Hmm.. Maybe She-Hulk will make an appearance and make it a love quadrilateral now that will be interesting. :smt036

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I don't think they will throw Luke & Jessica together that quickly. Both characters were literally just introduced and have only had the one season each to flesh out who they are and what they are about. I think they will do a bit more character development with each character in the Defenders then a bit more in both second seasons of each of their solo series. Second season of the Defenders, it all starts to come together relationship wise for the two. But that's just me and how I think things through however.

15. darkcurry

I say that because of I'm observing the character development from everyone and because of the pace they are moving with the shows. Iron Fist and The Defenders are coming out in the same year. Just knowing the characters' feelings towards each other only way I see that they don't put them in a relationship in The Defenders is if they are not teamed up and fighting apart. Jessica and Luke most certainly are not going to be just friends because the writers and producers including Stan Lee seemed to already make it clear in JJ that they wanted to start developing their relationship right away. Plus with that confession to an unconscious Luke from Jessica in the season finale she at least right now has strong feelings towards Luke.

16. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Some things to keep in mind:

1) There are more relationships than just Luke & Jessica's that they have to establish and potentially develop in The Defenders. There's Luke & Danny Rand/Iron Fist's friendship and eventual partnership. Danny Rand & Misty Knight's relationship. Misty Knight & Colleen Wing's friendship and eventual partnership. If not fully established in The Defenders at least the seeds for these relationships must be planted for future character and overall story line progression.

2) The target audience for the Marvel movies & shows are not the comic book fans who already are familiar with the characters to some degree, but the non comic reading movie and TV viewers. Any significant character progression and struggles, personal or otherwise, won't be done off screen between shows but on the actual series. That's why I'm making the assumption that any character progression for both Luke & Jessica will be done in the second season of each of their solo series in order to get the target audience invested in them as individual characters. That way when they do get together, the audience has already gone through with them their individual struggles and progression much in the same way comic fans who read their stories leading to their coming together did.

17. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

There is a new show on CW called No Tomorrow. It's about the wacky adventures of a white couple, who are living their lives to the fullest, because the dude thinks the world is doomed.

Anyway, the white girls mean female boss, has an unrequited love for her chubby black assistant.

Also (not pictured) is the main characters sister, who has biracial kids, yet her husband has yet to be seen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  18. Shulz021

Unrequited eh?

19. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

So far, yeah. But the show has only aired two episodes, so who knows.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  20. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Another show for the video cue. There goes my free time! Lol