Boxer Patrick Day, 27 dies from fight K.O

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bliss, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

https://mol.im/a/7581699 :(
    • Patrick Day was knocked out in the 10th round of his bout vs Charles Conwell
    • He subsequently underwent brain surgery following the fight in Chicago
    • The tributes have already flooded in following Wednesday's tragic news

[​IMG]

Eddie Hearn tweeted:
    'Our deepest prayers are with his family, his trainer Joe Higgins, Charles Conwell and promoter Lou DiBella.'

The World Boxing Organisation tweeted: 'The WBO family is heartbroken with the news of the passing of Patrick Day. Our thoughts and prayers are with his family. May he rest in peace.'

The World Boxing Council tweeted: 'Rest In Peace. Patrick Day was always kind, happy and an exceptional good man who was outstandingly passionate about boxing.
    'We will always remember you for all of that.'

Former British boxer Frank Bruno tweeted: 'This is very sobering. Sadly, Patrick Day has lost his toughest fight. Like every man who climbs through the ropes chasing the glory, he risked it all.

'My thoughts & condolences are with his friends and family at this very tough time. May he rest in eternal peace.'

A statement from promoter DiBella read: 'It becomes very difficult to explain away or justify the dangers of boxing at a time like this. This is not a time where edicts or pronouncements are appropriate, or the answers are readily available.

'It is, however, a time for a call to action. While we don't have the answers, we certainly know many of the questions, have the means to answer them, and have the opportunity to respond responsibly and accordingly and make boxing safer for all who participate. This is a way we can honour the legacy of Pat Day.'

Day had previously been knocked down twice in the contest before succumbing again to a left hook midway through the 10th round.

He was treated on the canvas for several minutes before being removed from the ring on a stretcher, and underwent surgery that night.

[​IMG]

Conwell had written an emotional letter on Instagram praying for Day's recovery and revealing he was considering quitting the sport.

[​IMG]

Charles Conwell's full letter.

IMG_20191016_213545.jpg

This is my last time speaking on the situation because of this being a sensitive topic not only for his family and friends but for myself and the sport of boxing.

Dear Patrick Day,

I never meant for this to happen to you. All I ever wanted to do was win. If I could take it all back I would no one deserves for this to happen to them. I replay the fight over and over in my head thinking what if this never happened and why did it happen to you.

I can't stop thinking about it myself I prayed for you so many times and shedded so many tears because I couldn't even imagine how my family and friends would feel. I see you everywhere I go and all I hear is wonderful things about you.

I thought about quitting boxing but I know that's not what you would want I know that you were a fighter at heart so I decided not to but to fight and win a world title because that's what you wanted and thats what I want so I'll use you as motivation every day and make sure I always leave it all in the ring every time.

With Compassion, Charles Conwell

2. Rochiebabes86

Rochiebabes86 Well-Known Member

This is so sad. Boxing is pretty much a birthright in my family but I don’t see the good in sport boxing or mma. Time to ban them and don’t even get me started on hockey fighting, it’s the most ridiculous thing ever that Hockey allows that in 2019.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Rochiebabes86

One other thing that gets overlooked is the brain damaged state these guys live in after their careers. It’s abhorrent

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This society is overly feminized as is. As adults they had a choice and were better off than most, because they got to do something fun and exciting everyday and not have to play dress up and deal with overly sensitive annoying people at the office like those with a "normal life." We have too many ridiculous laws already.

[​IMG]

5. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

I saw the KO on Twitter then night that it happened. Just horrible.

That's four deaths in pro boxing in the last calendar year.

I'm a big combat sports fan, but sometimes I question whether or not I should be.

RIP brother.

6. Rochiebabes86

You can
    So putting fighters health and safety first is feminization? Agree to disagree there.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I thought they were adults?

Who told them they had to participate in the sport?