can you be pro-black and still date/marry a white woman?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by shion, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Bhayes

Bhayes New Member

good points. i didn't think about it that way. but i still feel that "pro-black" needs to be redefined and in some ways has taken on new meaning. Just the same way that the word Gay has taken on a new meanings. Or even the N word which has alot of new meaning because of rap music. latinos now use the N word.

we all understand that black now means brown. not just african or african-american. but all brown people. not all brown people are the same, act the same or look the same. we know that now. we all have more information now as humans.

but the one thing that we have in common is battling institutionalized racism and overcoming non-sense so that we can have a better life.

brown people who date and marry intercially, do not do so for the same reasons or even the right reasons.

it is true what you say, but its not always the case of a secret plan to "break up the people"

the people are already at each other throats for stupid reasons and always were.

2. swirlman07

swirlman07 Well-Known Member

I strongly disagree with this perspective. I believe that there's a difference in romance and politics. I don't think that Pro-black connotes a preference for all things black. IMO, it denotes that you have more than a neutral stance on issues concerning black people, that you are an activist or someone in favor of improvements in the lives of black people.

This perspective has little to do with how you relate to another person on a romantic level. In fact, your partner is probably someone who agrees with your politics, sees the injustice as you do, and supports, encourages or perhaps even joins you in your activism. Historically, the reality is that many black activists had liaisons with or were married to white women. This never stopped them from pursuing their pro-black agendas.

On a related note, being pro-black does not equal being anti-white. Pragmatically that doesn't work. How exactly can the goals of advancing black America be accomplished if not through working with like-minded whites? The first president of the NAACP was white. The work of whites during the early voter registration drives of the 60's and their involvement in various civil rights projects can't be overstated.

So, again, my position is that that the political views of race and romance are mutually exclusive. You can love your brother who is a criminal without loving criminals. You can love your partner who is white without loving the attitudes of racist whites.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  3. Bhayes

Bhayes New Member

AMEN. but its just that its another one of those issues that can give a person a headache.

i think this is a fine example below of a afrrican black man who is comfortable in his identity and is married to a white woman.

[​IMG]

4. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

[​IMG]

5. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

lol...first thing i thought when that post went up. second was, this is your first post and you bump this thread...???

[​IMG]

6. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Vey well said, Swirlman. I'd rep you but I gotta spread it around. :smt038

:smt023

7. z

z Well-Known Member

How may times we're going to hash & rehash this subject?

Being Pro-black does not mean- do not date or marry WW.
    Marrying to WW does not mean you're not pro-black or does eqaute to being a sell out either. Some of you seems to not get that concept.

Let’s not forget the WW who stood and continue to stand by their BM during his struggle to help advance his ppl. There are WW who marched in civil rights for blacks equality. Additionally, there are several civil right leaders and pro black intellectuals who are married to WW, Fredrick Douglas, Professor Skip Gates, etc.... comes to mind. I go out with WW & still continue to speak & be vocal on behalf of my people in whatever little platform I can. Being romantically involved with WW never stopped me from contributing positively for the advancement of my ppl.

8. swirlman07

Well, I don't understand this whole rep thing, as a newer person, but I appreciate your gracious comment.

9. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Good post, you have to also mention about Loving vs Virginia.

10. Tamstrong

:smt038 :smt023

You're welcome. Basically, it's too soon for me to rep you again, but for more info about reps here's a link:

http://www.whitewomenblackmen.com/forum/faq.php?s=&do=search&q=reputation&match=all&titlesonly=0

11. swirlman07

Thanks Tami, I learned a couple of new things today, lol. I had no idea about the control panel and was able to see that people had rated some of my posts.

12. desreveRsIgnitirW

desreveRsIgnitirW New Member

Words of insight from our resident revolutionary,BMJ. Appreciate his words of wisdom folks,because he cut short his six-thousandth,three-hundred and seventieth game of Snake to give it to you.

I'm afraid this will be his only comment though,as he had to rush back to his GF before the rigor mortis set in.

13. Tamstrong

You're welcome, Swirl. I'm glad I could be helpful & learning is always a good thing, lol. ;)

14. Tamstrong

Ewww........:vom:

15. desreveRsIgnitirW

desreveRsIgnitirW New Member

You know how BMJ gets down... He dont give a fuck if it's alive or dead,pussy is pussy.

16. karmacoma.

karmacoma. Well-Known Member

:smt042

17. Tamstrong

Yeah, evidently he's not too picky. :p

18. Bhayes

Bhayes New Member

i think the issue, is that how do mixed race couples (especially bm with ww) socially protect each other from the social anger that can be potentially aimed at a person. how can you fight it all off.

the film jungle fever starring wesley snipes i feel illustrates this fact very well. there is a scene where snipes reveals his affair with a ww to spike lee's character. but while he is embarassed to admit this to spike, he still claims to be pro black.

sometimes its an issue of geography. where you live and who is around you though.

19. KingAesop

KingAesop Active Member

Yes. It is very possible for a black man to be pro black and be with a white woman because its not about being just for black people, its about being fair to black people. Ask Julian Bond and his white wife. I'm pro black. I used to have dreads and everything. A lot of black men involved in the civil rights movement dealt with white women.

20. Inner Beauty

Inner Beauty New Member

No ones stopping you from being Pro-Black. However you see fit....