Car talk

Discussion in 'Science, Technology, and Green Energy' started by goodlove, Jan 24, 2016.

1. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

What are some required/recommended tools & accessories for noobs who want do basic DIY maintenance on their vehicles?

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

You just need a foundation like a 200 piece mechanics tools set. Research the brand name because the qualities of brands change over time. Craftsman may or may not still be a good brand. example here is gearwrench (not sure about their quality)https://www.amazon.com/GEARWRENCH-8...vlocphy=21171&hvtargid=pla-496323231754&psc=1
    You also need a multimeter to check voltages and ohms and maybe a battery load tester.

The multimeter is for general electrical problems, it can only give you limited info on the battery. It will tell you if the battery has an adequate charge, not if the battery can actually hold a charge. The load tester is for that.

Multimeter:
    Ohms checks are for continuity. That just means that electricity can flow because there isn't too much resistance (in other words the circuit isn't open) the circuit must be closed for current to flow.

On a voltage check you are just checking to make sure the power is there for the electrical part, like a starter for example.

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Maybe also a helms manual

4. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Gotta watch these gas stations and keep your receipts for a day. I try to but the tempation to throw them away is strong. Reason being someone can easily be clumsy and mix up the octane then you will be driving on shit 87 gas.

I think that just happened to me and my engine was really pissed. Looks like the ecu compensated by pulling the timing to avoid unnecessary issues. My shit is back smooth now but for a minute it was barking.

I wish we could just ban the trash gas and be done with it.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

9. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

The C8 is one sweet ride. I really liked the C7 but it was clear that chassis couldn't handle any more power which is why the C7 ZR1 wasn't doing 0-60 under 3 seconds. Back to the C8... I think GM did a great job seeing as the last time they had the engine behind the driver was way back in the 80s with the Pontiac Fiero.

10. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

IMG_4713a.JPG Washed, the good 'ol reliable and about to go cruise around a bit on this nice afternoon

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

13. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Finally some good news in 2020. The 400Z will be manual. If it's AWD it's a sure homerun.

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Ooooweee!!

15. LA

LA Well-Known Member

I was sooo disappointed when they released the photos for the New Nissan Z. It looks awful lol. After ALL these years people have been waiting for a new model.. and then they release that??

16. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Ferrari Portofino M

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Italian styling and design is next-level.

17. LA

LA Well-Known Member

2021 Ford Bronco

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. LA

LA Well-Known Member

I'm really impressed with the new iteration from Ford's design team. They retained the classic elements of the previous model while adding some contemporary touches.

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm hoping it looks better in another color and that it's AWD but I don't think it will be.

Porsche 911 seems to be the way to go for a manual AWD. The BMW 440i looks good to me too. Looks like BMW and Porsche are about the only ones making cars that I like these days.
    [​IMG]

20. LA

LA Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if they make it an AWD on the Z. That would be great though.

I love the 440i and the 4-Series overall, especially the M4. On the new 2022 M4, they made some drastic changes to the front grill that has a polarizing design.

My favorite car right now that I would get if I were gonna get a new car would be the Audi A5 Sportback. (Audi S5 Model pictured below)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]