Criming While White

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by The Dark King, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

That hits it on the head on the priviledge Whites have when it comes to crime. There is a Youtube video of two men trying to unlock a car:The White gets ignored while the Black gets the cop's attention.

2. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily disagree with you. I just don't think you realize how your first post comes across. It comes across as a gross generalization, along the same lines of blacks are '<fill_in_the_blank>'. It also contributes to the reputation you're building for yourself around here.

Still, I don't disagree with you. I've been really let down by some of my white friends, particularly on social media to the point where I have defriended quite a few (that'll teach 'em) and leading me to put up a post of my own saying something along the lines of "The Ferguson verdict helps me see how some of you really feel about me".

On the other hand, I have a white friend who I rode up North with to the Trayvon protests (eat that, Sweetboy McDollface). She (WW) has been more vocal and active about these issues than about 90% of my black friends. Point being, to lump everybody together like that is a slap in the face of those who support us.

... and I still refuse to believe you lost faith in white people (in general).

3. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Whre's John's quote? Didn't see it

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

As a whole it became increasingly tiresome and disappointing to see people chalk it up to a figment of our imagination at best.

5. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Different realities, unfortunately.

6. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Sweetboy mcdollface

Ain't that a kick in the pants.....

7. Raudi

Raudi Member

[YOUTUBE]/heygDrLNFEU[/YOUTUBE]

8. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

[YOUTUBE]Nco7qfrPG7I[/YOUTUBE]

9. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Great post. This is pretty much how I've been feelling since Treyvon Martin.

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Dude was minding his own business while being followed in the dark by some unstable oldhead, who was looking for a fight (and got his ass whooped in the process)

Somehow the victim is the night stalker with the gun?

Sounds legit for a black man in America

Meanwhile innocent ole zimmie keeps making the news over his rage issues and people are acting surprised

11. The Dark King

The hilarious yet sad thing about the Zimmerman situation is it highlights how one sided and racist most people are because we all know had the races been reversed people would have been so pissed. Then again it wouldn't have made the news since his ass would have been in jail that night await execution.

12. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Thanks for sharing the twitter link TDK - I was fascinated by the specific examples people shared illustrating the statistics as real life. This forum generally has really opened my eyes and got me thinking more as to the depths and extent of the disparate experiences of the races vis-a-vis the law (something I'd always assumed intellectually, but not necessarily understood fully the humanity of the situation). You witnessed me beginning to really think about it:

[post]915400[/post]

One personal encounter with the police years ago shows my naivete about the strikingly different relationship bm have with the police. My black boyfriend at the time and I were parked in his car in the middle of the afternoon in front of bed bath and beyond in a white suburban shopping mall parking lot. We were waiting (for probably 15 minutes) for his friend Sarah to come out of the store (she worked there) so we could all go to lunch at cheesecake factory. Sarah came out briefly and she and my boyfriend put some packages in the trunk of his car and she went back inside. We waited in the car a few more minutes and then decided to drive over to the restaurant across the road without her. As soon as we started pulling out of the parking lot my boyfriend noticed a cop car following us, and so he drove (carefully) around some turns in the mall parking lot until it was clear the cop was indeed following us. They pulled us over and the (of course white) cop asked my boyfriend if they could search his car. Seeing that they'd failed to offer us probable cause for the stop much less the search, my thoughts were of course 'hell no', but my boyfriend quietly consented, traded his swagger for a meek nervous smile and stepped out of the way. I knew he was probably concerned about the inevitable tiny roach that was likely lost under the seat and long-forgotten, and also his license might have been expired; so I didn't argue with him about consenting, sensing he knew better than I how to handle this situation that was unfamiliar to me. I'd been pulled over many times, but based on my boyfriend's behavior I sensed that somehow the dynamics must be different this time (with a black man driving (?)). The one cop basically turned his car inside out searching while I stood in the freezing air with my arms crossed and an indignant look on my face, while the other cop questioned my boyfriend about what we were doing at the mall on a Saturday. When the other cop finally climbed out of the car empty-handed the interrogating cop finally offered that a clerk in the store had called 911 about a suspicious caddy with rims parked in the busy shopping mall lot, and that people were going in and out of the trunk. The interrogating cop's questions turned apologetic and he turned to me asked if I was a student, to which I replied "No. I'm not a student. I'm a lawyer." He gave my boyfriend his license back and we drove off. This experience was benign and routine compared to what I've heard you guys relay or I read about. But I'm grateful for it for what it's worth; it turned the theoretical into reality for me. Back in criminal law class we used to do "ride-alongs" with cops (presumably) to experience realistic law enforcement practices. I now think whites should do "ride-alongs" with blacks going to the mall and to lunch to experience realistic law enforcement practices.

13. The Dark King

Damn what an interesting idea, the only problem is I think people who are already like you don't need to be convinced, those who need convincing would see it as a waste of time.

14. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

That is the best example of White privilege ever when it comes to getting away with a crime. A White person would push the envelope to end up like a Black male.

15. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Ya know, you're right. It's the best example of white privilege to push the envelope to end up like a black man (dead) but never feeling any real risk you will.

16. The Dark King

Did you grow up in the US?

17. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

I suppose I'm not following ... (?)

18. The Dark King

just appreciate your insight just curious where you're from

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

She's from broad st obviously

20. The Dark King

Speaking of which did you hear your boy got shot?