Cultural Appropriation Rue from The Hunger Games Speaks Up

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by The Dark King, Apr 17, 2015.

1. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

So ur saying he waited to see which direction the wind blew before taking a stand on an issue of race?

Color me surprised........

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Ok, we are going in circles mate. The rumor DIED. That's why. The internet idiots brought it back? Are you up to speed now?

Just like on this forum. Look what you did. You brought it up.
    He and Oprah addressing it -- like you keep complaining he didnt do...meant nothing to you, you still say he said it...so how can he win?

Until your dying breath, you will cling to your false narrative. You and your buddy are the worst kind of malicious racist accusers. Take a seat.

3. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Ok let's fast forward even two years and let's say Cosby and even one of the victims flat out say he didn't do it. How are you gonna feel about it? Just take him at his word and move on? Would that take away from the conversation about rape culture?

4. The Dark King

Exactly. You gotta wonder if the topic was anti Semitic or raping women would everyone just say ok he said he didn't do it a decade later so it's ok.

5. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Here's the difference you KEEP missing. Last time 'I'n gonna say it then you two can bore off.

Cosby has accusers who actually contest his denial. Tommy's "accuser"Oprah told you it never happened.

Do you understand the racist rumor didn't exist in the BC...UNTIL 'Oprah allegedly asked him a question and then kicked Tommy off the set". So the ACTUAL rumor.... NEVER HAPPENED.

But THAT is the rumor that circulated. That he said this comment on Oprah. Get it?.
    No one before that ever said he said that to them. Again, the rumor IS: TOMMY WENT ON OPRAH. Why can't you register it? What in your brain is disconnecting the origins of it? Are you that obtuse??? :smt017 Oi voy.

6. The Dark King

And I've said numerous times that I don't think the Oprah thing happened either I just don't believe he never said something similar and again.... never mind. Believe what you want, it's apparent you can't nor desire to keep up

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Curious...where are you on the Easter Bunny...?

[​IMG]
    "Yeah kid, that's right..this is how we make chocolate".

8. Caerdydd

Caerdydd Active Member

That video was great, such a great thing when someone so young speaks with such eloquence and whilst making so many valid points.

9. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

This. The last part is the one I concur with. People of all races "appropriate" from other races often without realizing it. But it is only a problem when white folks do it?

I don't have my head buried in the sand. Half the books on my Kindle are those that touch upon America's ugly racist past. Books about sundown towns, ethnic/racial cleansing of entire towns and regions, the days of Jim Crow, conscript leasing, racially biased prison sentencing, redlining, etc. A white person could see my list of books and come to a conclusion I'm some militant, angry black dude with a lot of racial hangups. But I'm not. I just like to know my history to be able to better deal with the present and the future. And I feel most African Americans don't realize how really bad things were then and still are even now.

That being said the INCREASING whining on the subject of appropriation is just absurd. Whining about Other people taking your people's hairstyle or your style of dress or music is over the top. Especially in America when cultures have been influencing one another forever. I'm glad you mentioned people "stealing" Asian culture or enjoying Asian foods. I know plenty of black people who can't get enough of their Chinese foods or martial arts film without knowing or appreciating anything regarding Asian history. And to be blunt we black folks have taken our share of cultural ideas, recipes/foods, styles of dress, hairstyles, political systems, inventions, and, yes, even some music from white people without thinking twice about whether that was appropriation. He who lives in glass houses....blah, blah, blah. We want white celebs to bow at the alter of black achievement and give thanks to black culture every time they take one of our "styles" but we won't do the same for any group we borrow from consciously or unconsciously. Plus the younger you are the less you realize that anything belongs to one group. People in their mid 20s and younger typically don't have that type of awareness.

Granted white people in America are the dominant racial group and get credited for virtually everything anyway. They don't have the same self esteem issues regarding worth and don't know the feeling of not being appreciated. Nonetheless black people can be as guilty as "stealing" from them as many of us accuse them of being guilty of taking from us.

I felt for this young Miss Stenberg when some clueless and/or racist white fans were giving her grief on twitter when the Hunger Games movie came out a few years back. But I can't muster as much outrage for her feeling victimized on this front.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

its getting good up in here. let me get my popcawn

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

u are a racist ....putting up a white bunny.....the hidden message of white power

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

white on white crime is at 83 or 84%

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6771878

whites on drug use

http://healthland.time.com/2011/11/07/study-whites-more-likely-to-abuse-drugs-than-blacks/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...eople-are-more-likely-to-get-arrested-for-it/

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  13. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

but
    but
    but
    but
    lol
    lol

you dont read yahoo and facebook comments.

listen to your local radio talk show...u will get that one or two dudes throwing it out there.

a white anchor cnn threw the white on white crime stats a rudy g. and he looked real stupid.you looked in his face seeing he knew that stat but wouldnt state it .

15. The Dark King

Interesting take, I don't think she was expressing her own victimization but pointing out hypocrisies. Its one thing to share cultures that's great in my opinion it's another thing to borrow from everyone and in the same breathe look down on them and treat them like garbage. Love the music and culture a people create yet hate the people? Does that make sense?

16. The Dark King

Shit I'm surprised more single white men aren't picked up and put in a line up the minute a kid is missing. Just a bunch of posters.

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Lol

18. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

@ Bliss and TDK

Please stop :smt022 I hate it when mommy and daddy fight

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

You wanted interracial relationships

Now you got em

20. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

LOL. Damn.
    Truth is truth.

If you're not learning something what's the point???

I personally like being corrected on things I say that are wrong because I hate making left-turns in conversations when I don't know where I'm going.

BTW I know plenty of Black folk who appropriate 'White' appearance, hair straightening and contact lenses, who will talk shit about White people in a minute.

There's so much cultural overlap in America that at some point everything becomes part of the dominant culture.

So Italian/Black/Irish/Mexican/Chinese/Japanese/(American and East)Indian, etc, eventually becomes American culture.

My mom took my to St. Patrick's Day parades all the time when I was little because it was a huge event where we lived and partly to increase my cultural literacy.

It hurts when people are borrowing from another group or culture and don't know where the inspiration comes from.

Iggy Azeala bugs the fuck out of people because she's using of very specific kind of Black regional dialect when she raps that's totally phony.
    It's almost a verbal form of Blackface.
    She doesn't give a fuck either that she's offensive.

What Iggy is doing would be like a White guy talking in a broken, stereotypical Indian convenience store dialect and expecting to be taken seriously.

Eminem on the other hand has a unique cadence and style in his flow, but he isn't trying to sound like he grew up Black IMO.

I don't like when comic book movies change the race of characters either.
    Growing up some of the White people I related to best were fictional characters in comic books.

Guys like Tony Stark, Bruce Wayne, Matt Murdock, Peter Parker, Logan, etc., were all White dudes, but they were like the coolest PEOPLE ever in part because they had no color bias at all.

Their loyalty to their White characters was equal to their non White ones.

They were human beings first, White second and that's what made reading comic books great as a kid.

If it's hype in the Black community, it's going to be hype nationwide eventually. That's just how it's always been.

From jazz music to Elvis learning how to swivel his hips and howl on the mike sitting at the back of Black juke joints in Memphis.

When people try to front like they INVENTED something they didn't, that's when I really have a problem.