Cultural Appropriation Rue from The Hunger Games Speaks Up

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by The Dark King, Apr 17, 2015.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Fair post. I will say this in reference to black people hair straightening, that's not appropriation that's assimilation because if they don't assimilate they have less opportunities. How many times have we heard of blacks not advancing or getting a job because their hair was natural or "kinky"
    It's not the same as people adopting a certain culture for amusement or even self improvement while looking down on said people they've borrowed from.

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

The fact that you deemed it necessary to write this, shows you how out of touch with reality this place is

3. The Dark King

Always goes back to that false equivalency people seem to over look for some reason.I get why non black people do it because they aren't as intimate with the challenges but it's always weird when black folk do it.
    The playing field is not nor has it ever been leveled.

4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

actually...straightening is associated with "good hair"..nothing to do with getting a job.

good hair. good hair. thats a phrase blacks use all the time.

straightening hair was more of a self esteem thing.

str8ing hair goes back to madam cj walker

5. The Dark King

Good hair was associated with positions given to you ie jobs
    Do I really need to explain the field slave house slave difference?

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

It's like a soup sandwich these days. Now look at goodloves' response...... Lol

7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

the fact is they never heard the phrase "good hair" is disturbing.....smh.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lmao is it?

9. The Dark King

Who said we haven't but if you think "good hair" is rooted in vanity and no actual advancement then you haven't paid much attention kid

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

u stated str8 hair was about a job ..assimilating. im saying its deeper than that.

first.... KID ..... think on thus....good hair as oppose to what?

when they str8en out ...why?

dont forget about madam cj walker?

11. The Dark King

CJ Walker like Jobs and Gates responded to a need they didn't create the demand.
    And "good hair" opposed to kinky, natural, nappy, black hair. People in power have always focused more on the lighter skinned straighter haired people. Look anywhere in the world to see that.

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Ra said it best........'dumb negro theater'

TDK has way more patience than i do to entertain this shit

Does anyone really think blacks were dying to have lighter skin or straighter hair before European colonization?

13. The Dark King

White is right didn't you get the memo lol
    Real talk dude is stuck in another era haven't you caught on to that by now?
    He's not a bad guy just stuck

14. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Workplace/media discrimination against 'black' hairstyles has been in the news for the past few years....along with stories about how whites hold lighter blacks in higher esteem than dark ones.........and he thinks this shit is a vanity issue?

:smt043

Don't even get me started on ethnic names vs European ones and getting a fucking job

15. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Slavery and colonialism may have started self-hate in the Black community, but its perpetuation especially since the Black Power days of the late 1960s and early '70s, let's just say we need to check our own backyard.

Anyway, I think I should have said the popularity of hair extensions in the Black community instead of Black women straightening their hair.

Good hair in the Black community just means your White blood ancestry made your hair less nappy.
    It's not necessarily a reference to getting jobs or being employed.

I don't think Black men getting their hair conked in the 1930s and '40s increased their likelihood of becoming employed.

16. The Dark King

Answer yes or no. Does appearance matter?
    Is it more likely that an appearance that someone is comfortable with makes it easier to get a job?
    Does appearance help in advancing in certain jobs?

Yes or no please

17. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

For real. If someone spits a fact to me, l will research it and they get the last word on it if it's true. I love knowledge. How do you function in informative conversations otherwise.

Btw, the other points you made were very interesting. People do borrow from other cultures all the time and not like the inventers. The NOl wear suits whose fashion was Invented by the British, and now ties by the Croats...so hey :cool:...And damn if the middle east don't borrow from American culture...

But in true seriousness, this topic will be be rendered moot in a few decades because the only influential culture that will exist is the Hispanic culture. Mucho Gracias.:p

18. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

This is sarcasm right?

Show me one nappy-headed black guy that was successful during that time period and I won't post for a week

Most guys I've seen had good hair or something else that doesn't grow naturally on brothas

Don't even get me started on the sistas.....

19. The Dark King

In the US or abroad because I was about drop Marcus Garvey on you

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

After a quick google search........it looks like I won't be posting for a week

:smt089