Dear Black People

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by The Dark King, Dec 24, 2015.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I agree but the approach matters as well. To be honest I think the best way is to allow black people to vent when they need to, offer your insights when asked but most importantly make it extremely uncomfortable for your white counterparts to accept racism as the norm.
    I will say black people should be more open and let trust in but even as someone who mainly dates white women and grew up in a pretty safe majority white area and has white people in my family it's hard to let the guard down. We need A LOT of mental health counseling because this shit is like a never ending PTSD loop

2. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

People in the groups I'm in don't ask for white folks' insight. Lol. Because they are the majority in the group, they forget we even exist and speak as such. Sometimes, I just keep scrolling because nothing I might contribute would add to the conversation. Just like some of the threads here. There is little a WW could say in a conversation about black issues and the thread is dominated by BM. I have to think I'm not the only one that just reads, considers and stays out of it. Like walking up on a private conversation at the water cooler. It's not my conversation.

3. The Dark King

Well that's not true because other women here engage. It really comes down to two things I've noticed. One people absolutely hate discomfort of any kind they'll avoid it at all costs if possible. Second for the most part I think a lot of people view it as not my problem so why should I have an opinion, why should I try to fix it. How many of us on this forum give two shits about immigration reform unless its to keep people out and away from our jobs.

4. RestlessRita

RestlessRita Well-Known Member

Good post. I agree.

5. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

I like that quote and it is a so applicable. But throughout history that has applied much more to the collective white "race" than to any other.

Black people should and I think do collectively have a healthy degree of apprehension, not so much fear when looking at the issues of "race" in this country. Think about what Rodney King asked after receiving an ass whipping by the "protect and serve" guys "about just wanting to get along.

6. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

You have a lot of wisdom in this post, man.

7. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

I agree 100%. The issue is that often times when whites get involved in these type of things they want to dictate and direct the direction of conversation, resources and energies to what they think is best. It is a rare white person who in my experience can listen and give support without attempting to dictate how things go. Again, it is an issue of power.

8. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

Once again a lot of truth here.

9. goodlove

goodlove New Member

like the letter said figuring out friend or foe but most of the time blacks need to discern an honest question from being a dishonest one and some times people just have different views .

hell blacks have different views and thats good.

@ches the problem is just like u said...the mob mentality. hell im guilty of that. i bet if i questioned paniro deeply we wouldve saw something different. einstein asked questions.

when people are by themselves away from the mob then more than likely u will get a different response.

10. The Dark King

There are very few Tim Wises in the world

11. The Dark King

Thanks fam. It's a hell of a problem that in my opinion can only be solved in three ways.

12. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Agreed. BUT there are probably more people who think and feel like him than you realize.

13. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Check the thread "12 Cops Framed 1000 Black Men" for an example of what I'm talking about.

14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Why should black people have a healthy degree of apprehension? It's not at all healthy. And for them to do so collectively is like saying to them that this spot a hundred yards from us is the "Promised Land." I reality, it's a huge bucket and black people are the crabs going in and staying there away from everyone else. ANYONE who tries to leave is pulled back. Black people, individually, have a destiny to find. This journey they must take on their own. Black people have more than enough personal problems than what is going on on the other side and health-wise(physically and mentally and emotionally)hat's not good, either. Barrington Irving, the first and youngest black pilot to fly around the world is an excellent example of someone who lived in a n environment of violence and uncertainty, studied aviation engineering, learned how to fly, achieving a private and a commercial pilot license. He took to the skies and made it. All these achievements before he turned 28. Now he teaches what he has learned and he also teaches us that it is better to go against those who say that you will not make a dream happen.

15. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Strong words.

16. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

You have some good points here but there are some things that we could do as well.

There are three types of power in this world.

1.) Military
    2.) Political
    3.) Economic

We do have somewhat of a say in the way we spend our dollars. We can start by supporting each other a lot more than we do. Also every protest should have an economic aspect to it. That's what actually gets our voices heard, that's why there is an effort to keep us from achieving financial success to begin with, yet when we do we only think in terms of the smaller picture. If we were smarter we would understand that when we think about the families of other black people we are also doing more to protect our own families.

Spending money on black friday and Christmas should have ended a long time ago. Then maybe the rich folk will realize that it's in their interest to support our cause. Also, none of us should be buying anything that benefits a country that oppresses African nations. We should have the mind set to end racism on a worldwide scale.

Remember the ending of slavery was largely due to the people in power realizing that their is no economic future in it. If the Europeans kept going strong in the Atlantic Slave trade while diving up African "territory" it would have eventually lead to an all out war with them killing each other. That's why they outlawed it and became the ones patrolling the Atlantic in order to arrest anyone who insisted on continuing to engage in human trafficking.

By continuing to engage in the Atlantic Slave trade they would have destroyed any opportunity to establish a modern economy and rendered it pointless to continue using slaves to produce coffee, sugar and textiles to sell to one another.

We have had leaders to use political power like Justice Thurgood Marshall. Yet toward the end of his career he was isolated and ended up writing dissents that were allowed to become easily ignored. Although he done well with what he had, his political power had limits. Our economic power however is not governed by the same bounds.

17. The Dark King

I like the way you think and often wonder the same things. I do think if we flipped the dollar in our own communities rather than their's you'd simply see another black wall st.
    Then again with anonymity of the Internet who knows.

18. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

Indeed. I can only think of 2 others; Brother Ali and George Carlin. Maybe George Galloway and Russell Brand.

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Ultimately it's about cornering markets. The Jews have attained power by cornering the media market. That alone assures a certain level of respect. There is an aspect to economics that's synonymous to a quiet war. There is a reason why you cannot set up a Chinese restaurant in Chinatown but a Chinese man can set up a soul food spot in Harlem. Nothing racist about it, it's simply that we as a people don't really understand what's going on, or the concept of self preservation.

We need to fix the trade deficit.

Once we do that, respect will be integrated along with our schools and neighborhoods.

20. BrianJ

BrianJ New Member

I disagree. Black and other non-whites have historically been very accepting and open to whites. It is historically whites that have spoken with "forked tongue" regarding what they want and what they actually do.

True. We are a people in dire need to learn self love. We are a mentally crippled people who don't know who we are and we need to learn who we are. If you walk down the street and ask a Chinese American "Who are you?" he may say:

1. Chinese
    2. Chinese-American

If you walk down the street and ask a brother "Who are you?" he may say:

1. Black
    2. African
    3. African-American
    4. Nigger
    5. Real Nigger
    6. Afro-American
    7. Black American
    8. Negro
    9. Colored
    10. Person of Color (I never understood this as "white" is a color" too)
    11. Alkebulanian

Potentially 11 or more answers to a very simple question of "Who are you?" Most of us have no idae of who we are and until we do, we will be forever lost as a people.

I agree with you on Barrington Irving but he should be the rule and not the exception. That will only happen if this system changes. I do not think we as a human family have that kind of time, honestly.