"Detroit"...I'm gonna rant a bit

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by JamalSpunky, Jul 14, 2017.

1. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

And you know it's becoming more and more transparent, These black women like Ava only care about BLACK WOMEN. That's why I say they are going to expose themselves if they dare try to tear down another movie and tv show about black men with white women. Even the brotha in the video @ColiBreh1 posted who seemed to be against all interracial if you listen in full to his part about the double standard, he recognizes the double standard. White men can only help them for so long...

So I'm like let's see what happens. Hopefully they get exposed as they should.

BTW, another movie I found that has a Teen IR relationship in it is in Julia Roberts new movie Wonder coming out this fall.

2. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

Jamal your analysis on this topic of imbalanced ir in hollywood is dead on accurate.

I'm curious, when did you first start to take notice of these patterns?

When you were a young movie/t.v. viewer did someone older hip you to this, or did you piece most of it together on your own?

I remember watching a horror show or movie when i was much younger (can't remember the title). The story takes place on a Carribean island. There was a scene where the actress Vanity was playing chess with this WM. I remember him taking one of his white chess pieces, reaching over and knocking the black king off the board. He then places his chess piece next to the black queen and says "White king takes black queen." She gets this lusty look in her eyes, and a sex scene between the two follows shortly after.

None of my friends seemed to bothered by this, but instinctively that shit irritated me. Even at that young age i started to notice some disturbing patterns in t.v./movies.

If you brought this topic up to people back in the day their eyes would glaze over. The only thing people noticed and complained about back then was BM portrayed as criminals and being the first to die in horror movies. The neutering of BM was almost never discussed.

3. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

This should've been the tell-tell sign that Ghost & Angela were NEVER going to be end game on "Power".

Speaking of Omari Hardwick & Nate Parker/"Birth of a Nation", 1 of the podcasts I listen to (FiyaStarter Podcast) a few months ago or so after the
    Oscars were having a discussion that the real reason bw sabotaged BoaN was because they found out Nate Parker's wife was white (not because of his old college rape case). That turned into a discussion about Black Male actors whose careers suffered after it was found out they had a non-bw GF or wife. Omari Hardwick was 1 of these actors they discussed (Skip to the 2:01:40 mark; discussion lasts for 20 minutes):

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/fiyastarter/episodes/2017-03-08T23_07_09-08_00

EDIT:
    They had a 18-minute follow-up discussion the next week (Skip to the 3:01:33 mark):

https://www.podomatic.com/podcasts/fiyastarter/episodes/2017-03-15T21_55_21-07_00

4. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Oh, man. Hmmm. I don't know if I exactly remember when it started clicking for me like that but I think it may have actually occurred before high school. I recall sitting around a table with female members of my family and we were watching this show. A white male character kissed a black female character and all the women, including my mom, broke out into applause. It irritated me a lot for some reason. Can't say why I was triggered like that. It wasn't as if I was brought up in an environment to be astute concerning such things or to look for them. There was just some point early on in my life that made me more perceptive of how black males were being portrayed. As a kid I was more painfully aware of this stuff than most of the adult black men I hang out with or work alongside are today. And it isn't as if I'm always pleased to be wired like this. I was hyper-aware of shit to the point that at times I thought it was a bit of a curse. To be aware of it isn't exactly fun and can at times eat away at you. I keep telling myself that it ain't life and death and I tend to let it slide most times. I have nothing against the black women and white men who hook up in real life or on screen. Just wish things weren't so one-sided in movies and I wish more people would recognize and acknowledged the double standards.

Oh, I do recall as a kid coming across a comic book about this black woman who was queen of the jungle. She was drawn all sexy and with barely any clothing. In the issue I came across she encountered some white explorers/hunters. One of them was a young blond male and I recall how she was portrayed to be excited and sexually aroused over him. She stated a line that she had never seen a man like him before, one this beautiful, blah, blah, blah. I recognize that as being a slap at black men, even if not completely intentional. I knew enough to realize the comic book was likely written by a white man but still, as stupid as this may sound, her words about the white guy stung me as if they came from a real black woman. That's the power that the media and storytelling can have over impressionable young folks.

5. JamalSpunky

My man, you keep hitting targets that I've been thinking about but I have for the moment tried to ignore. Yes, to the bs about "Power" and that black woman who runs the show. I'll get into later, just don't have time at this right now. You are also right about the REAL reason the backlash started regarding Nate Parker. I saw it happen in real time. The first pushback came from black women learning his wife was white. Later on they all did the attacking under the disclaimer that Parker was a dirtbag who attacked women. Of course many of these same ladies always defended Chris Brown and did so probably because his women were always black. They have higher opinions of black men who date black women exclusively and beat them up from time to time than they do black men who are not abusive but date/marry white women. Or marry/date non-black women in the case of Derek Luke.

6. darkcurry

I remember that movie I think it's called Tanya's island
    [​IMG]

that movie fucked me up, it had her in a love scene with a beast! Obviously a guy in a costume, but still. smh.

But it all goes back to slavery when white men used to sleep with the black female slaves and labeled them their bedwenches. If you ever seen the movies DRUM and Mandingo you would know what I'm talking about. And then their was these places in the mid 1800s called Quadroon Balls, where wealthy white men we're set up with mixed race black women for sex and other extramarital affairs http://www.huffingtonpost.com/stacy-parker-aab/quadroons-for-beginners-d_b_3869605.html

IR has been happening on screen WAY before Guess who's coming to dinner, Patch Of Blue, Movin' with Nancy, Story of a Three Day Pass, ect.
    But they were mostly with white men, and ONLY with white men as as main stream goes...

1962 William Shatner and Pilar Seurat (a Filipina), Naked City
    [​IMG]

1964 episode of British soap opera Emergency – Ward 10
    [​IMG]

If you search for any list of Interracial couples and love scenes, most of them are going to feature white men.

Disney CLAIMED the first live action IR kissing scene was in Beauty and the Beast, but actually it was in Snowdogs with Cuba Gooding, jr and Joanna Bacalso(Filipino)
    [​IMG]

But of course they sweep that under the rug, because one of the other things they do with IR involving black men is try their damndest to keep it out of mainstream.

Interracial has ALWAYS been okay as long as it features a white man. When you look at the bigger picture white men are in the majority of IR love on screen. They even completely re-wrote the story of Pocahontas to have her fall in love with a white man, when that poor girl was actually kidnapped and sexually assaulted and she never married John Smith.
    https://indiancountrymedianetwork.c...cahontas-historical-myths-versus-sad-reality/

But the goal of Hollywood is to make the white guy the love interest, the most desirable. That is one of the reasons why TV shows go with that trend when they do have white women and black men as a couple or potential couple they can't help but to add a white guy to the mix as either part of a love triangle where she falls for him more or they have her do the black guy dirty and cheat on him with the white guy and it be seen as a good thing, because how do you have the main character be a lowdown cheater. But like in iZombie for instance she is not portrayed as that and they pretty much brushed over the fact she cheated. And like on Wynonna Earp they made Dolls the jerk and Doc(who used to bed whores, btw.) some kind of Romeo.

These so-called "Pro-Black" Black women don't realize all of this because they are too busy trying to drag and bring down black men because they found love on screen or off screen with the opposite race.

I don't want to make IR involving white men a bad thing, racist white men that control all of this shit is doing it themselves and putting a pretty illusion over it. Black men and white women are the most hated unions on the planet. Hollywood and mainstream actresses are on pace to have more lesbian love stories on film than Interracial love stories with black men. So much proof out there to prove it. But as I said it will and hopefully it will ALL come to light, because we are starting to see brothas already put it out there on social media like on youtube and podcasts and twitter. I didn't think many people knew about the crap Supergirl was pulling with Mehcad Brooks/Jimmy Olsen, but they did and got after the Supergirl twitter handle and hashtag. We just need white women to notice as well, I mean they be shipping and making youtube videos of some of these IR couples you would think they would've caught on by now. Our union is the most hated.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  7. Skaddix

Skaddix Well-Known Member

Yeah so Boycott Detroit but go see...Wrinkle In Time...yeah no thanks.

8. JamalSpunky

The thing about "Detroit" is that it probably shouldn't be playing in mainstream theaters anymore than "Birth of a Nation". It should go the route of Bigelow's other movies like "The Hurtlocker" and "Zero Dark Thirty", both of which were shown primarily at arthouses and movie theaters that catered to independent films. The topic is too controversial and the experience of the film may be too painful for 'Detroit" to be running at your local AMC alongside "Darktower". It's not meant to be a blockbuster but could have a long life in theaters if it gets a limited release of 500 or so theaters throughout the country.

9. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Outstanding. This should be viral. I hope you share this wider.

10. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Nothing to add except @JamalSpunky's analysis is again spot on.

11. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Is it me or does it seem like nearly everyone except for black men are waiting on line to be the next oppressive group
    So many amazing analysis in this thread. Might have to quote some of this to friends

12. darkcurry

https://shadowandact.com/detriot-fi...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

"A trailer for the international release of Katheryn Bigelow's Detroit has been released.

In a stark contrast to the action-packed trailers that have been released so far, this one is more mellow and seemingly more-character focused than the U.S. trailers. In this trailer, we also see dialogue from Samira Wiley's character (although she had dialogue in one of the TV spots) and the families of the characters at the center.

After being subject to some criticism for the title of the film and absence of black women in major roles, it seems as if the marketing (purposeful or not) for the film has been adjusted since the very first trailer dropped."

I like shadowandact they are VERY equal in promoting IR and both Black Men and Black Women in the industry, but come on this trailer is the international trailer and was only at 52 views. Don't hype/gas those ignorant to this story and are obviously just upset of the IR that was shown briefly in the film.

13. JamalSpunky

The international market doesn't give a damn if more black women are in the trailer.

14. darkcurry

Yeah, and it's the international trailer so I don't know why shadowandact even put that tidbit out there, I don't think the movie is yielding to these ignorant, hypocritical women that don't know anything about this incident and don't speak up when black men are being erased and minimized in films like A Wrinkle In Time.

15. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

True DC.

16. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Watched both trailers, movie looks boring as fuck and should of been directly released to Netflix. Dudes really in here upset over Birth of Nation not doing numbers when it was a disappointing movie albeit powerful acting by the lead.

Hurt Locker was ok.

Zero Dark Thirty was ass.

Easy pass!

[​IMG]

17. JamalSpunky

Further proof that it seems like an extremely compelling story.

18. JamalSpunky

Its almost a miracle how black guys for the most part are so chill. Perhaps the best example of this was one day shortly after the nipple-gate controversy that took place during a Super Bowl halftime show with Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake. Everyone here knows the specifics. Anyway I had walked into a department store and was in the men's section and I stumbled across three black men having a conversation. They were of various ages and were a mix of employees and customers. They were talking about that halftime show and having a good ol' time doing so. They were also kinda giving Timberlake props for being in a position they wish they were in. There was no anger from them, no bitterness, no hate. And I imagined if this had been a halftime show that featured Shania Twain or Britney and the male performer singing alongside of them was Usher or Nelly. Now imagined if was planned for Nelly or Usher to rip off some clothing of a white female star and the event went wrong when parts of the body were accidentally exposed. I have a hard time believing if that occurred there would have been anywhere in America three white guys laughing about it and having fun with it and giving Usher/Nelly props. Nah. They would have wanted the black male singer to be strung up, would have been almost as angry for the white chick to be on stage with a nigger anyway, and would have blamed Jews who controlled media to have orchestrated the whole affair in order to push some agenda of race mixing. You can certainly bet they would not have been amused by the matter. Black women wouldn't have been amused either and would have dismissed the white female star as a ho and the black male star as a stupid coon who should have known better than to "be on stage with some white girl".

19. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member

@JamalSpunky BW trying to make everything just about them is affecting politics too. This interview/panel discussion with Roland Martin on NewsOne Now from a couple months ago was just weird & childish AF:

20. JamalSpunky

I totally understand black women wanting more of the reigns of leadership within the Democratic Party. But the method of going about that is also important.