Do you believe in the Afterlife?

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by Morning Star, Oct 10, 2012.

?

Do you believe in the afterlife?

1. Yes, it's real.

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. No.

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  3. I cannot say. I'll know for sure once I cease to function.

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. satyr

satyr New Member

For future reference, the burden of proof falls on the shoulders of the person making the positive claim ("There is an afterlife.") not the negative claim ("There is no afterlife."). Look it up.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Says who? This isn't an institution vs a single person. If you as single human being assert that my beliefs are wrong then you gotta give me more than I because I say so.
    And let me remind you I have no fixed position on the matter. All I know is we don't everything and to say you know for certain that there isn't life after death is a falsehood. One would have to be dead to make that claim. No?

And whatever your belief system why must one insist on imposing their beliefs on anyone, secular and non secular alike.
    If you have proof that you are right why are you arguing with someone else about their delusions. Unless they're trying to impose their beliefs on you, you lose nothing.
    So if I want to believe in the church of the Ewoks that's my business. Not something you need to disprove to make yourself feel superior. You just end up looking like an insecure douche (I'm speaking in general here). Why not live and let live.

3. satyr

satyr New Member

Basic logic but don't let that discourage you from running your mouth with no end in sight.

4. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

Consciousness is a result of the many millions of processes that keep you a live.

Lama puts it much more succinctly.

And none of what is experienced is real in the sense that it exists in a vacuum and of its own volition.
    That doesn't change whether here or there or anywhere for that matter.

Does it exist? Sure.
    Does it exist the way you think it does? Surely not.
    Does it not exist? You betcha.
    Does it not exist the way you think it doesn't?
    Yuuupppppp.

5. The Dark King

there is nothing basic about this topic. You're trying to compare metaphysics and the intangible by conceptualizations of the tangible. And like if you could keep up explain this very simple question for me. If someone said that cells didn't exist five hundred years ago and then someone like yourself challenged said person to prove it who is wrong in that scenario? Lack of proof in the present doesn't mean lack of proof indefinitely. You're out of your depth here. Just go post some pics of white cocks and I'm sure you'll feel right as rain.

Interesting how the two people so hell bent on proving how ridiculous anyone is for believing in something that isn't empirically verified both have an obsession with posting pics of cocks. :smt017

6. The Dark King

That's not cut and dry enough where are the weights and measures. Show me some peer reviewed articles proving to the world the afterlife exists. If I can't get there on a 630 flight it doesn't exist woman.

7. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

Please. It's 1200 am and as usual the Mexican restaurant is making highly inappropriate noise for those of us that need to sleep because we have to get up tomorrow and work.

The only thing I know for sure right now is I'm tired and I want to sleep.
    Asswipe across the street better knock his noise off or miss sleep deprived bitch is gunna walk across the street and rip him a new one.

I'm also telling grandma tomorrow so she can rip them a new hole too.

8. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

I'd expect this behavior from Iggy. But not from you. When I read this post, I thought that I was talking to someone who's girlfriend is ramming him with a strap-on.

9. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

The issue with this whole debacle is that people use the word "belief" too loosely in our common conversations. A belief is just a position that's not based on any evidence, yet we still insist on injecting that verb into common discussions. Either we do it out of habit, or to appease groups of people who are dead set on their perspectives of the world that conflicts with hard-earned evidence.

That's a fact of the trade. And yet, despite all the proofs that debunk much of the ideas of the supernatural and even concepts like the afterlife, people would still remain feverishly willing to accept that worldview. It's okay in some respects, but it does lead to even more highly deluded ideas if they thrust themselves further into that though.

Lastly, we often talk about the education system, but we often ignore the plural education fronts where some institutions, which are accredited through education commissions, are teaching things which aren't even scientific based. Numbers can tell anything, but they are only as accurate as the person. If you can sex up numbers and you have a Ph.D in a field of study, yet you're considered a quack because it conflicts with actual mathematical theoretical analysis, then you're basically a manipulator. Hence ID being taught in schools and even ingrained in the public institutions, which is utmost dishonest.

These are problems if we want to keep up with the rest of the world. Let's not mesh reality with fiction or superstitious ideas, otherwise we would be even much lower in the education front.

10. Archman

Archman Well-Known Member

Andrae,
    If you are engaging the man in an intellectual debate, why sour your argument by turning personal like this.....The way you each developed and built on your perspectives was good reading up until that point.......Now get back in the ring and keep it spiffy.....

11. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I do not believe in it, but I respect anyone who does, because I can't empirically demonstrate that it doesn't exist, either.

12. The Dark King

Arch I appreciate the post but please refrain from using my real name brother.

13. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

If you want proof that angels exist, you need not look any further ;)

14. The Dark King

That's true the devil was a fallen angel lol

15. wtarshi

How's the heat down there?

16. The Dark King

How would I know I rule the northern realm. Greatest trick the devil ever played was letting us think he was a man and not really a woman:smt092

17. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

Noooooo...I think you got him mixed up with god.

18. wtarshi

So you're a woman now?

19. The Dark King

God doesn't exist haven't you been paying attention lately lol

20. genuineforce

genuineforce Member

My faith in the afterlife is beyond just a belief. I think the holy books are great tools, however they are still just tools to help us. We die every night when we go to sleep, so I know theres more than the flesh. Nobody can give the answer of knowing to anyone else, but looking within until these questions are answered is the right path in my opinion.