#German lives matter??

Discussion in 'In the News' started by MrT, Jan 5, 2016.

1. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

I would not campare it directly with Black lives matter. Because in the latter iots about people losing their lives.
    Yes the heading is misleading.

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I dig what you are saying...it can minimize what the blm is about

3. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

It is a bad heading for a thread.

4. MrT

MrT Member

Well I must say made the title up on the spur of the moment, however, there is only difference in the prejudice of the reader, it is a tongue in cheek stab at #BLM.

because that title (BLM) is "deeply offensive" as well!! - unless you think German lives don't matter?? White lives matter, Asian lives matter, Black lives matter, they all do, so to start attention seeking campaign with a title like that divides people more than it unites...hear me out..

Yes many young black men are being shot far too often by police, but is this a proven case of racist actions every time? in some cases I`m sure it is, but the real problem is the amount of fucking guns in the US of A! and far too many young males (all colors) have guns, black minorities are not being shot like that in Europe Oz, Canada, UK etc....so to start a # like that - well it could have been worded better as well!

German women in this case didn't loose their lives, but young girls in the UK commit suicide after being raped by gangs I say their life matters as well, anyway do you have to die to get a # campaign!

so sorry if the title isn't perfect, I agree, but perhaps neither # serves its true purpose

5. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

Good points. While what happened in Germany is certainly horrible, it isn't the same as a systematic brutalization of a people by the legal authorities.

6. MrT

MrT Member

but you are only talking/care? about systemic brutalization of only one color of people, when there is more and, what evidence is there to say they are targeted due to race, not that everyone has a gun!

anyway this was systemic and criminal and whats the difference with that!?

7. orejon4

There's no society-wide targeting of German women by immigrant men in Germany. What those men did is deplorable and criminal and they should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. It is not endemic to the fabric of German society and culture. There is, however, ample proof in the historical record of the targeting and brutalization of black and indigenous people in this country by, not only individuals acting criminally (as is the case in the German example), but also of the same violence being sanctioned by the legal authorities, not only a few police in fear for their safety. Homan Square, Chicago, anyone?

8. MrT

MrT Member

I agree with much of what you say, and yes Historically there has been violence and racist policies of segregation etc. However to make a case that Gov. are doing that today doesn't stand up - unless someone provides documents from police asking them to target specific people...
    and this is the key point with BLM, the Indigenous people of America are largely forgotten, where is their # campaign? The BLM excludes and alienates more that it means to by intent. All lives matter! to say one group matter more to bring "balance" wont work, only inclusion will

9. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. MrT

MrT Member

so in other words you cant post an intelligent point &/or because someone doesn't agree with you, you troll them. :smt038:rolleyes:

11. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I must admit I am not overly familiar with "Black lives matter" not in the literal sense off course, I mean as a heading/phrase for the movement or campaign.

So I personally did not understand the pun in the title because I did not make that connection.
    It's not something I've heard here, so maybe those of us not.... living in America can be cut some slack for not knowing it was a reference to that.

12. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I disagree. It has been explained many times that the statement has an implicit "too". In other words... "Black Lives Matter, too". Perhaps that's what they should've said as I believe it's been taken way out of context. In my opinion the BLM statement actually acknowledges that all lives matter, but it's simply saying... Our (black) lives matter too, and of course it's coming at a time where police seem happy to shoot black people, and it seems that they get the benefit of the doubt nearly each time.

13. orejon4

With regard to your query about indigenous lives mattering, I agree 100%. They need a movement as much as people of African origin. One of their great leaders and heroes, Leonard Peltier, is languishing in prison as we speak.

I disagree about the idea that a statement of all lives mattering needs to be made. The 'Black Lives Matter' movement implicitly acknowledges that by pointing out that black lives are precisely the ones that are so unimportant to the larger society. As for whether or not policy exists that explicitly targets black people, there has been ample proof of policies existing that do just that. Now, whether or not you will find one explicitly calling on black people to be killed, that's kind of unrealistic. No one puts down on paper that they plan to deny a group their constitutional rights. People are rarely that stupid. That's why courts also allow proof of disparate impact to build a case in the absence of proof of intent.

14. flaminghetero

flaminghetero Well-Known Member

:smt038

15. MrT

MrT Member

agreed Black Lives Matter "too" is better, but it has been hijacked to some extent - limiting it somewhat.

If you take the "proof" argument you put here, then the same can easily be applied in this thread....many here wanted to dismiss this as a one off

but now we see a "policy" and actions by many migrants in place know open minded person can deny. Of course it`s not all migrants, but it wasn't all police either!

http://www.news.com.au/finance/econ...c/news-story/e2e618e17ad4400b5ed65045e65e141d

‘Cologne is every day’: Europe’s rape epidemic
    GERMANY, Sweden and other European countries are facing growing public unrest amid a wave of reports of sexual assaults since the Cologne attacks.

Most recently, three girls aged 15, 16 and 17 were assaulted over two hours by a mob of up to 30 migrants at a shopping centre in the northern city of Kiel.

Since the attack, which began when two Afghan men began stalking the teenagers and sharing photos on social media, other women have come forward to report similar experiences.

16. Soulthinker

No doubt it was still in the papers as I type this.

17. sarah23

some would say that there was a targeting of German women by immigrant men. it was not just in one city of Cologne but in many cities it happen.
    The point is that it was ignored, even hidden by the authorities.

18. Soulthinker

That is true Sarah. The media should not had ignored it in Germany,Sweden,and elsewhere.

19. sarah23

It was hidden from the media by the government. And the police.
    Because they did not wish it to have political implications.
    But it would have been better if the government were honest.
    Now it has done a disservice for both German women and also immigrants. The majority who are just trying to create a new life in Europe.
    It will also de detrimental to relation between immigrants and Germans.
    Not to mention being used by the right to blame all muslim immigrants.

20. sarah23

An inquirey is ongoing about what happened in Cologne.
    Some 200 German women have filed reports of being assaulted and even raped. And this happened to women who had arrived in the rail station and were going out to celebrate New Years night.
    Many women also reported being ignored by police, when they reported the incidents.
    Seeing that they was no risk of being apprehended,groups men surrounded certain women who were wearing skirts and assaulted them.
    This is unbelievable.