Greatest Superhero Movies of All Time

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bookworm616, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Yeah, he was in John Carpenter's The Thing and has been in a crap load of various other movies throughout the 80's through present day. They Live with Rowdy Roddy Pier is another John Carpenter movie he's known for. Most people remember him for being in There's Something About Mary. And if you were a kid/teen who grew up in the 90's or general fan of animation he's known of course for being the voice of Goliath in Disney's Gargoyles animated TV series back when there was the syndicated Disney Afternoon animation blocks.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Damn I really loved Gargoyle.
    Can't believe it's been 20 years

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I have the complete two season series on DVD. I was disappointed with the Saturday morning spin-off The Goliath Chronicles that was done on ABC after the original syndicated series ended however. It didn't have that same bite as the original series. It's like they watered it down and made it "teachable" for Saturday mornings.

4. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

He played the role of Childs in John Carpenter's The Thing.

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Im looking at it now. Lol

6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Article from Comicbook Movies.com

BOX OFFICE: FANTASTIC FOUR Reboot Humiliated As MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE Holds Onto #1 Spot.

Despite initial estimates of over $50 million, the movie has crashed and burned at the box office this weekend, failing to debut at #1 in the process.

At this point, the Fantastic Four franchise might just be too tainted for even Marvel Studios to want the rights back. Earlier this week, early estimates had the reboot opening around the $50 million mark. Even when the negative reviews from the trades hit, analysts maintained that something around $45 million was a possibility, but as things got worse for the movie - including director Josh Trank disowning it on Twitter - so too did those estimates plummet. However, it still looked like Fantastic Four would beat Mission: Impossible Rogue Nation in its second week, but that hasn't been the case! In fact, it's a good few million behind it, which is a humiliating blow to Fox.

The well received Ghost Protocol follow-up held onto the #1 spot with an estimated $29.4 million for the weekend, taking its domestic total to $108.65 million. Fantastic Four on the other hand came in second with a paltry $26.2 million, and while it could potentially earn its budget back overseas (we've yet to hear about how it's performed worldwide), the franchise might just be dead thanks to this flop. Avengers: Age of Ultron did more than that at Thursday evening showing alone! Ant-Man on the other hand is still doing pretty well as it closes in on $150 million domestically and hits $326 million worldwide with a number of other locations set to release it soon.

7. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Sometimes failure is a good thing. This debacle could mean FOX might finale relinquish the rights back to Marvel. Disney/Marvel seem to have the midas touch when it comes to comic book movies. Just look at Ant-Man and Guardians Of The Galaxy. Those are two properties that had little mainstream name recognition or fanfare before they were released, and look how well they have been received by audiences and critics.

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Word is Fox still has a seven year lock on the Fantastic Four movie rights. Unless they do a joint production deal with Marvel Studios the way Sony Studios did in the case of Spider-Man, I don't see them turning over the rights to Marvel Studios before that seven years is up. That is unless Marvel Studios, since they now have some clout, directly buys the rights back from Fox.

9. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Maybe Fox will call for a sit down with Marvel and work out one of those deals that Sony got. They keep the rights but let Marvel take the reigns and they both split the profit.

One other thing I find funny, is when I hear people saying that a good Fantastic Four movie is too hard to pull off. It's funny because they already pulled it off, it was called the Incredibles.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

But Brad Bird was indeed trying to make a superhero movie, granted on the comedic side. He fully embraced all the concepts of the superhero genre, unlike the three Fantastic Four offerings.

I'll give the two Tim Story Fantastic Four movies credit for at least trying to portray the "family dynamic" of the team. Too bad they fucked everything else up. Especially Rise of the Silver Surfer. Would have been cool as hell to see an actual live action adaptation of the classic "The Coming of Galactus" storyline on the big screen.

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Like i said leave the ff alone...its over.