Greatest Superhero Movies of All Time

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bookworm616, Jul 2, 2015.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Nailed it

2. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

It isn't that at all. Tony Stark has had different abilities through his time. Marvel keeps giving and taking away powers. If they would make up their mind, I'd be able to label them. Good example NightOwl. He has never had any powers what so ever to my knowledge. No superpowers. Not a superhero.

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Dude. Tony Stark has no super powers without his armor. Regardless of what kind of capabilities the various armors and upgrades they have undergone. So by your logic Iron Man is not a superhero.

4. archangel

What about the Extremis Armor? That's not normal that one can just bleed out armor and have it hide in their bones.

[​IMG]

He also had healing factor. Does the healing factor not count as super powers?

I understand and agree that he doesn't have powers for the usual thought of ironman but that Extremis Armor era is something else. It is an outliner that I have to call out so someone doesn't go oh but this one time he and wolverine had a comptetion on who could heal faster...:smt012

5. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So is he a super hero or not? You're the one setting up these weird guidelines on what YOU believe qualifies as a super hero, so.........:smt102

6. archangel

Classic Ironman(the one that builds armor and only has an arc reactor to power his circulatory system) is not a super hero. I think that is the one that TDK was referring to.

7. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So what is or was classic Iron Man before he got "super powers" in your book? Just a hero?

8. archangel

hero

9. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

Seems like a lot of people tend to get hung up on what defines a superhero, but to be honest, to pigeonhole or compartmentalize the definition in such a manner is extremely disingenuous. A superhero doesn't need powers of any kind to be considered one. A superhero, on a universal level would have the following traits:

• The ability to perform feats that the average, or even above average human or creature, would not be able to perform. Batman, Iron Man, The Punisher, Daredevil, and many other non-powered characters fits the bill to the tee, despite their lack of otherworldly abilities. Their achievements would stand among gods, in other words.
    • Acts of heroism is generally a selfless act for the greater good. For some of of the superheroes, the definition is a bit tricky, since, while they are generally aligned as heroes, their actions would be considered vigilante-bent or unorthodox, which would pit them in the category of anti-hero. Even those with actual superpowers would fit this quite well (Spawn).

With these two characteristics, the non-powered characters mentioned in this post can be identified as superheroes. Powers aren't required, but they have to perform high level feats that would be considered outrageous in realistic standards.

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Actually super in this context means:

super-
    prefix
    : bigger, better, or more important than others of the same kind
    : superior in position or rank
    Full Definition
    1a (1) :eek:ver and above :higher in quantity, quality, or degree than :more than <superhuman> (2) :in addition :extra <supertax>
    b (1) :exceeding or so as to exceed a norm <superheat> (2) :in or to an extreme or excessive degree or intensity <supersubtle>
    c :surpassing all or most others of its kind <superhighway>
    2a :situated or placed above, on, or at the top of <superlunary>; specifically :situated on the dorsal side of
    b :next above or higher <supertonic

So would "the punisher" , iron man and batman be considered "super" heroes or heroes?

11. Morning Star

Superheroes, because, as I've stated in the post, they have performed extraordinary feats that the average man could not, or would be be able to do. And the definitions fits them to the tee, which further reinforces my point. So, why respond by reiterating what I stated?

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Because your definition included the punisher and others. the definition i provided comes from merriam-webster.

Next , u have add the word "hero".
    The definition hero u provided seemed fair.

Then u have to say do these characters meet that definition.

The punisher is a regular man doing heroic deeds..green latern is a superhero who inherited powers that above the punisher doing herouc deeds

13. Morning Star

They meet the criteria of superhero actually, whether you want to pigeonhole the definition or not. In a comic book sense, or comic-like sense, my post accurately demonstrates what it takes to be a superhero.

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

The punisher is a regular man doing heroic deeds..green latern is a superhero because he inherited powers (that are above the punisher )doing heroic deeds. The punisher is a regular dude.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  15. Morning Star

The Punisher is a superhero (better defined as an anti-hero) because, he's virtually a one-man wrecking crew who took down mafias, albeit through various murderous methods, and, on a front of possessing indomitable willpower, he's been able to withstand Ghost Rider's Penance Stare, which would send an average man to their knees, which is a feat in of itself, which is tailored to his being not guilty of killing many people in the name of his own brand of justice.

So, given those feats alone, his acts are above the average man, thus super in many respects. I would suggest, next time, you actually read the Punisher comics. You didn't pay much attention to my post.

16. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Anti-hero...... yes

Super hero....no.

If thats the case bruce willis character in the movie "die hard" would be considered a super hero

17. Morning Star

You're comparing apples to oranges, kiddo. Anti-heroes can still possess qualities where feats are above and beyond what the mortal man can do, and they can also possess superpowers too. Yes, John McLane managed to take down a big time mogul, and the efforts are most daring, but you're ignoring the fact that The Punisher has been able to go toe to toe against superpowered characters as well, such a Spider-Man and even Black Widow. You've also shown to ignore the part where I stated that The Punisher even withstood the Penance Stare. All those above are things that a super character can do and not a John McLane.

Try again.

18. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Does not matter if he went toe to toe with spiderman....by definition he is not super.

You can be antihero and be super if you have powers that regular humans dont have.

He is not super by websters dictionary.

19. Morning Star

What makes a character super, and I'll continue to reiterate, is someone who has performed extraordinary feats, superpowers not required, nor mandatory to be defined as such. This is more accurate than what the dictionary provided. But with those definitions provided by Webster, even characters like The Punisher has to be super, provided that:

- He has shown to be superior to people in his group, and YES, going against the likes of superpowered characters like Spider-Man demonstrates this.

- To be able to handle many given situations with little assitance and a strong sense of will.

You're only reiterating what I've been saying throughout the conversation, thus contradicting your point of being "just a hero"...which is making you wholly disingenuous, as I've predicted in my initial post.

20. goodlove

goodlove New Member

http://marvel.com/universe/Punisher_(Frank_Castle)

Thats his backround. He didnot inherit or ever have any super powers. Hes a vigilante who got guns and other weapons.

Hes not super. Hes an action hero....not a superhero