Grey's Anatomy's Agenda

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by kenny_g, Apr 12, 2007.

1. kenny_g

kenny_g New Member

Okay in case ya'll didn't know Grey's Anatomy's own Kate walsh is getting a spin off show where the "mcdreamy" is taye diggs.

And don't know if ya'll are noticing this but this show looks like it is breaking barriers in interracial on television on and behind scenes.
    2 actors that I know of is involved in an interracial relationship off the show; Ellen Pompeo (of course) and Justin Chambers.
    Not to mention the asian/black interracial on the show.[​IMG]

2. Chigirl

Chigirl New Member

I love that show and the IR that goes on. I think America is much more accepting than Hollywood think it is. Although it would be interesting to know what the racial make up of Grey's audience is...
    On and worth mentioning in my opinion, the writer and producer of the show is a black woman

3. LaydeezmanCris

LaydeezmanCris New Member

Now you're talking. Something just told me the writer/producer wasn't a white man.

I also agree that America is accepting (on certain issues) than Hollywood thinks it is. For example, it has been a long-standing myth that movies with a mainly black cast or black actor cannot do well. This year alone, i think "Dreamgirls" and "The Pursuit of Happyness" shattered that notion but Hollywood seems not to realize that.

4. LaydeezmanCris

That show ain't going nowhere.

5. Chigirl

Chigirl New Member

I don't know, Kate Walsh is the fave caracter of many of Greys' audience (including myself) she is really good. I have to say however Taye Diggs does not have a good track record, how many shows can that guy tank???? LOL so I will definitely tune in to see what it's all about.

6. hellspawn72

hellspawn72 Member

Co-sign. The fact is it won't survive ironically not because of Taye or Kate, but because those writers will limit a large variety of the physical stuff that white actors and actresses would have a wide birth on.

A great example is the IR between Constance Zimmer and Gary Anthony Williams on "Boston Legal." Since he's put aside the "Clarise" persona, they've been boyfriend/girlfriend on the show. But there has been little to no physical action between them. In fact, just a couple of shows ago, she invited over for dinner at her place and an opportunity to stay over night. It never happened. They wrote were he had 'performance anxiety' or something about going through with it. Since then, they've been tip-toeing around staying together or breaking up.

Don't get me wrong. I love Grey's. I knew that it would be a great show the first time I saw it. And yeah, I knew Shondra Rhimes (Exec. Producer) was a sistah. But let's be real. The IR stuff was like them slipping on a banana peel. The writers and producers got LUCKY. It's the same formula of IR as with other shows. Meredith has Dr. McDreamy (Dempsey), Izzie and Karev were together (white couple), O'Malley married Torrez (white/latina thing going on), and of course Burke and Yang are on (people don't have too much a problem with black/asian). But the formula never really steers black/white IR very much, does it. Meredith brought a dark-skinned dude home a while back, but he was west indian or something. One of yang's exes was a white dude (no surprise there), etc.

I guess I'm not convinced with Hollywood's track record for skirting the issue. Taye and Kate would work well together, but Hollywood would put too many obstacles on that show in order to get them to fail. Just my two cents.

7. kenny_g

kenny_g New Member

But don't you think it is smart with what they doing with their large audience by adding adding & talking about IR off and on the set and going the expansion thing with another show?

Because you know me I know alot of hollywood producers are looking for ways to take them down, but Im telling you that large audience thing is working for them to keep those hollywood racist BACK!!

8. LaydeezmanCris

God bless you.

9. hellspawn72

hellspawn72 Member

Oh, I agree with you on that. Television works like alot of other businesses in this country of ours - by volume. We have like 300 million people here spread out all over the country, some areas more dense than others. So a certain type of formula is needed for what are deemed 'controversial' issues (case in point, Interracial). Adding helps. Talking about IR helps. But there must be a working formula in place in order to work from in order to capture and ultimately keep the audience. Then the writers can go on and do other things.

Think for a minute. Grey's Anatomy was originally slated to be a mid-season replacement - one of those shows that Hollywood greenlit to find an audience. Well, it ended up that people loved the show more than they thought, so everybody won. But they needed a working formula for the characters to make the audience comfortable FIRST. I personally think it's an insult to TV watchers that they must do it this way, but that's business and the ugliness of middle America.

I for one am thrilled though that this young generation is sticking it to those Hollywood racists by writing in and asking for these IR relationships to continue. Sure, bust 'em on it. Remember "My Name Is Earl" had it where Jaime Pressly character was with that brotha in the beginning, but the brass wanted to axe the relationship. I heard numerous write-ins from the young audience compelled the writers and producers to continue the pair and marry them off. So it does work.

10. LaydeezmanCris

Now, now, now, with "My Name Is Earl", if you haven't watched that show from Season 1 like i have, you won't be able to tell that Joy and Crabman are married because apart from when they're with the kids, there's little or no physical contact between them. And when they're about to, say, kiss (if ever it happens), they quickly switch off.

But i must say that, even though i generally do not buy the whole "multicultural generation" bullshit, this young'uns are far more progressive than their big ones and parents. I mean, young black and minority kids be main characters on mainstream outlets like Disney and Nickelodeon and be awarded for them. That was almost impossible even in 1984. So this generation is making a slight change. You can see young black boys dating white girls on these teen shows a lot, but it wasn't the same in our time.

So i do agree with you when yu say this generation is sticking it to them on this issue.

11. NoIdea

NoIdea New Member

I just saw taye diggs on Grey's Anatomy. Is this going to be a one episode type thing?

12. Chigirl

Chigirl New Member

No they are testing the spin off for Kate Walsh

13. Chigirl

Chigirl New Member

So, did anyone watch last night? What did you think of the spin off?
    I am not 100% sold on it yet, but will check it again if and once they start airing it. I just don't like Taye Diggs, not sure what it is... for me he will always be the Stella got her groove back guy lol. I don't know what it is about him.

14. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

chi...grey's anatomy is one of my only guilty tv pleasures...i love it! i don't know if i am sold on the spin off...the concept is good but if i only had the time for one show it would be greys...kate walsh got herself a pretty sweet deal if you think about it...the shows are interconnected so if the spinoff doesn't work she can always go back...and they could move actors from one show to the other...alex could go and visit addison or mcsteamy could move over...2 hours is the only drawback...

15. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Kate Walsh is really attractive. I'm looking forward to seeing how the show turns out.

16. LaydeezmanCris

Yeah, i know.

17. heartdesire

heartdesire New Member

I am all for this acceptance of IRs, my issue is that its only allowing White men in IRs with either Latina, Asian, or Middle Eastern women and leaving BM out. Whereas Hollywood wants to perpetuate the stereotype and its a very dangerous one that all BM would rather be with BM which isn't true.

Hollywood really needs to grow up.

18. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

chi...what did you think of tonight's episode? ...everything is unraveling...and now there is a whole new set of interns...

19. Chigirl

Chigirl New Member

:lol: I didn't watch it yet... was out enjoying half price Mojito's he he. But I will watch it tonight

20. Chigirl

Chigirl New Member

It's official, Mr Washington won't be back next season... I will miss his character and hope they will come up with a worthy replacement :D