Harold Perrineau: Stop Saying My Daughter’s Not Black Enough for ‘Jem and the Hologra

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by samson1701, Oct 25, 2015.

1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Stop. Storm was an African woman with coca-butter skin color; white, long, silky hair; blue eyes and, depending on the artist, European facial features. In other words she looked like no African woman I have ever seen and never will see. DO I think Halle and this recent chick cast as Storm look anything like her? No. But neither did Angela Bassett or Lupita Nyong'o either. How can anyone be mad about the casting of Storm when I don't know of ANY black women in the world that look like her? Fuck it. I'm more pissed off about the actor they got to play Bishop. The casting is extreme with both black women and black men. For black women they too often go in one direction: more European looking. For black men they go too often in the opposite direction: the blacker the better.

2. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

I think she did turn it down but then was tacky about it by throwing shade Halle's way.

3. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I always thought she should have been played by Iman (or someone like her, since Iman's like 60 or so, lol). In the comics I saw she was always darker-skinned but with those keener features and the white hair and weird eyes - her mutant identifiers, I think. I think the character was supposed to be either Kenyan, Somali or Ethiopian, right? I never saw Halle Berry as fitting my image of her. But then again, I'm not a casting exec at Fox, lol.

*JamalSpunky drops mic*

LMAO! I haven't heard that song in ages!

[YOUTUBE]fFXED_dnZ_Y[/YOUTUBE]

I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one thinking that about the X film. Where's Pharrell when you need him? Bwahaha

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  4. TERRASTAR18

TERRASTAR18 Well-Known Member

she's not black and doesn't look like the character. he sounds like an idiot.

5. TERRASTAR18

hollywood has a history of whitewashing so your point isn't relevant.

6. TERRASTAR18

the point is she doesn't look like the character.

7. TERRASTAR18

but that is not the argument here.

8. TERRASTAR18

but the thing is biracial isn't black it's biracial.

9. TERRASTAR18

then you need to read the black panther comics-[​IMG]

10. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

To be fair the black enough stuff is more a defense thing going all the way back when lighter skin people use to shame the shit out of people for having darker skin. No one ever calls lighter skin ugly but darker almost absolutely. I'm just saying it doesn't happen in a vacuum it comes from somewhere.

11. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Yeah, if I remember correctly, Storm was from some made up nation in Kenya.

Storm was always portrayed in comc books as a dark skinned Black woman.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Only recently have artists begun to lighten her complexion to match I guess Halle Barry's portrayal of her.

But by deliberately lightening her complexion, you sort of change the context of Storm's character within the X-Men.

She was one of the most powerful super hero characters ever written by Marvel, and at one time the leader of the X-Men.

Movie directors should pay more direct homage to that legacy.

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter the why or where it comes from. The whole "not black enough" mentality is beyond ignorant and needs to stop. Especially from individuals on a site called White Women Black Men who profess a preference for white women all the while holding some sort of disdain for lighter skinned black folks & individuals of biracial parentage.

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The movies also didn't go into the fact that Storm also had her issues regarding her powers and how it related to being a woman. Despite all this, Storm was a bit insecure. She wanted to love and be loved. She had a few reluctant, even one with Gambit.

14. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Can you explain why she should look like the character? Is this film set in the 80's or now? You can only do so much with a character and an actor can only do so much to flesh the character out and get into that character. Give Miss Perrineau a chance.

15. TERRASTAR18

well that's the point of a character....it's not about giving her a chance....the character is black...she isn't.

16. TERRASTAR18

but biracial isn't black. biracial is biracial.

17. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

I think its wrong for black folk to be attacking biracial people for portraying black characters because it's plain stupid. Funny isnt it that a long time ago some mulatto elite didnt want to have anything to do with dark skinned negroes and married white or mulatto partners to keep the light skin going on in the family. Just saying :cool:

18. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Not saying I agree just get where it might be rooted. Truthfully not being black enough is at the bottom of my concerns

19. TERRASTAR18

but they aren't black.

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Define black