Has Hiphop done more to harm the Black community than good?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by malikom, Jul 5, 2008.

1. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I hate when people blame hip-hop for shit like parent's kids being fuck ups. Raise your kid, don't let the music do it. People just like to place blame on hip-hop culture. Most mufuckas who talk down on hip-hop don't know what hip-hop really, and don't understand the culture. Ehh....fuck em.

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

ice-t's "cop killer" song, didn't exactly help the image of rap music

3. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

You're kinda right. But of course, not all hip-hop is gangsta rap or about violence. But of course, when people think of hip-hop culture or rap music, they only think of gansta rap. There is a lot of positive hip-hop, but the media or whoever else will wants to focus on the negative. And a lot of people listen to everthing they are told without knowing much about what is being criticized. But, there are also the many rappers who sell out for money and instead of expressing themsleves how they originally wanted to, they do whatever the company signing the checks wants them to do. Can blacks realy control what represents hip-hop today after it's been raped or all creatvity? Many of the issues in the black community were present before hip-hop.

I don't think hip-hop has done more bad than good. The bad shit being rapped about has always been around.If there was no hip-hop, the begative shit like murders, disrespecting women, drugs, and other shit would still be around.

A rapper who expresses themselves how they want to and is more about their music rather than their money, is something positive to me.

4. karmacoma.

karmacoma. Well-Known Member

On the contrary they get it 100% and talk down on it 'cause it's true. I have never seen so many black people try to rationalize bullshit in my entire life.

5. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Well-Known Member

Rap is merely a reflection of the more negative aspects of the black community. A kid from the hood isn't going to decide to become a drug dealer, murderer or rapist because he heard the lyrics in a song or saw a nice music video on BET or MTV. If the kid can be influenced that easily by popular "culture", then he's already headed to either the jail house or the graveyard.

Rappers don't create the culture...they report on it. Like a twisted Dave Chappelle sketch...rappers show an enhanced, video game-like representation of what happens on the streets of the good 'ol U.S.A. every day.

Rather than berate the rappers for creating a culture...we should be alarmed at what's being presented to us....rapper's are not so creative that they can build some false universe. The subject matter they rap about poses no challenge to their mental capacity because they are simply explaning to the world what they see on a daily basis.

That...is what black people need to worry about.

6. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Unless they understand what hip-hop is truly about, they don't get it.

7. drow

drow New Member

And what IS "true" hip-hop about nowadays? Rappers talking about pimpin' and guns? Subjugation of women? "Hoes in different area codes"? Real meaning there... There ARE positive rappers but why are these deviants the ones that are glorified??? Because they are COOL and everyone wants to be COOL right? :roll:

The problem with negative rap/hip-hop is that YOUNG minds that are still VERY impressionable follow the s*it as if it was the bible and since parenting is apparently an issue, they have nothing else to turn to for guidance! Don't believe it? Look at the number of young black males in prison because they follow the gangster rap "code". They see rappers showing them that "this" is the way you should be if you want to lead a so-called, glamorous life - or at least the gangster version of a glamorous life... Little does the average joe realize that doing so will land them in jail or possibly even dead while that rapper laughs all the way to the bank!

Yes, many movies are violent, so why doesn't that seem to be an issue? Because last I checked, young blacks were not taking in movies as GOSPEL as they do negative rap! Music can have a powerful influence on young minds in particular and can often change from just "entertainment' to a literal way of life! Rap is not alone in this however, heavy metal back when it was really strong had the same effect to an extent but even it didn't focus on as much utter destruction as negative rap and hip-hop. No, rappers who put forth garbage are not responsible for this ugly situation but they DAMN sure aren't helping matters!

8. Canelle

Canelle New Member

*ignoring the above and searching for some nice music to share with you al*** l*

***racists excluded

9. Bigger than Hip Hop

Bigger than Hip Hop New Member

Hip Hop is NOT dead

It's just underground...
    I agree with Tony Soprano that the 'suits' are happy for black youth to buy into the bling/gun culture but I disagree that it is all their fault. We each have a responsibility to shun such propaganda and support the real Hip Hop that is out there (Immortal Technique, NYOil, Dead Prez and in the UK Lowkey).

To blame the corporations who buy up and promote the foolishness of 50 and Lil Wayne etc is to denigrate the intelligence and creativity of conscious black youth.

There is a revolution in Hip Hop and it reflects the social revolution that is imminenent.

Black people in America were motivated to vote in the first political action for 40 years. They voted for Obama BECAUSE he is a black man.

With this kickstart there can be a powerful surge towards regaining real black culture and pride, leaving behind the glamourisation of gun/gang culture that has been the face of Hip Hop for the last decade.

"carries a gun, thinks he's gangsta? that's just fake. Kids in Rwanda been strapped since they were eight...." Lowkey- British Iraqi rapper BOIII!

10. HappyLife

HappyLife New Member

I personally think Hip hop, has done alot for the civil rights movements as in getting whites and blacks together as in all musics really. However it have n****rized the Black community because it lacks balance. There is no real conscious rap to displace this monster called commercial hip hop. It has also hoochified black women also white women, but not as much as black women. As for me, my own personal preference is I will never date a WW ghettofied by hip hop music, mainly because some of the elements she interacts with are beyond me.

11. Soul2

Soul2 New Member

No hip hop is not the but a black culture and honestly gangs violence wasnt in the music but in the street a whole lot worse than it is 2day but hip hop didnt create gangster or the lifestyle the lifestyle gave birth 2 the music and hiphop isnt defind by an artist or wateva creativity its just considered a trait or express in hiphop but if an artist decide 2 do a song about guns or ass or wateva doesnt mean oh thats wat hiphop is hiphop is a freedom of expression of 1 person or people thogh the music and culture belongs 2 1 group of people

12. Alek

Alek New Member

On the one hand, I personally think it has been extremely detrimental to the image of black males all over the world, but, hey- it's also fun stuff for a lot of people, and the entire world has embraced it. I just hate it whenever I go somewhere and people assume that I know all about rap and hip hop just because I'm a black American- they're always shocked when they find out that I can't name a single rapper or hip hop artist, but I can tell them anything they may want to know about Sting or The Police, or The Talking Heads!

13. karmacoma.

+1

14. karmacoma.

You sound like a damn fool.

15. Soul2

Soul2 New Member

ok

no not really and if so explain y r shut up and remain ignorant

16. SmoothDaddy101

SmoothDaddy101 Well-Known Member

:smt045 Laughing my ass off. Sounds like Malikom took on another persona.

17. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Don't get it twisted. Rap is a business. Rap "artists" will spew whatever people are willing to spend money on. It's not about personal expression or preaching the plight of the black community. It's about making money.

As Dead Prez said "Turn off the radio, turn off that bullshit."

18. thepolice

thepolice New Member

WTF:shock::shock::shock:

I agree completely.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  19. malikom

malikom Banned

In the past,we had urban story tellers like Curtis Mayfield and Donny Hathoway...

Now we got 50 cent and lil wayne,great.

You all are missing an important point,though.

The biggest purchasers of Hiphop cd's are white suburban teenagers.....

They,ultimately,have alot of say when it comes to certain rappers being successful

They can stay in their nice,little suburbs,bump 50 cent,dress "urban",and not have to deal with any of the stuff blacks have to deal with.

Certainly not trying to mitigate what these rappers are doing,but after all .all they are trying to do is fill a void

20. thepolice

thepolice New Member

You have a point here but like you've said,most suburban teenagers like rap only cause it's cool now but that has little influence on their lives .I can't say the same about the black kids that listen to it and maybe live in totally different conditions.
    There were even some approving posts here about some rappers that glorified cop killers (how typical) and taking justice into you're own hands in their lyrics.
    The last thing that rap's preaching is taking responsibility for you're own actions,it's always society or the government who forces ppl into a life of crime and then it's police and justice acting with brutality and being power abusive.
    Personal will is always absent in this equation and this induces a dangerous idea into the kids minds - that their life is already chosen for them since they were born and they can't do a damn thing to change it.If they lack strong parent figures also,who can teach them otherwise,they start hanging out with the wrong ppl and the consequences will follow.