Has Hiphop done more to harm the Black community than good?

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by malikom, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

Some good points here.:smt045

2. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

You'd be surprised at how many dumb ass impressionable kid's lives are influenced by rappers. Some people I used to be cool with ended up being dumbasses. Look at the hyphy kids. Doing Ecstasy just because Mac Dre did. I don't blame him though. It's not his fault kids are so fucking stupid, especially out here in the suburbs.

3. Equinox

Equinox New Member

The black community has had a much greater negative influence on it. It's easy to look at rap and blame it for the ills of the black community.

The black community was fucced up before rap music.Women were disrespected before rap.

Black folks did drugs before rap.

Black folks commited crimes before rap.

The black community was down-trodden and nehative before rap.

But, as Dennis Miller used to say, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.

4. malikom

malikom Banned

True,but it got more severe when gangsta rap started........

5. Malik True

Malik True New Member

WHAT? Playboy go check your history...

6. malikom

malikom Banned

Violence int he urban black community started to really get astronomical during the 90's when crack and gangsta rap hit the scene

7. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Hip Hop taught me how to slang crack. :smt045

I learned about brick prices, triple beams and pitching yola in the third person.

8. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

The crack epidemic hit WAY before the 90s.

9. RedFox

RedFox New Member

Thats true, isn't it ironic that blood and crips listen to rap music..:confused:

10. Equinox

Equinox New Member

It's not quite so simple to blame the ills of the black community on ONE thing...unless it's slavery.

Slavery made dark skin blacks resent lighter skin blacks because lighter skinned blacks were sometimes treated better.

Slavery made black men less affectionate towards black women out of fear of loosing her in the slave trade.

There's more, but I won't bet but so deep on this topic.

11. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

But what were they listening to before rap music? Curtis Mayfield, Issac Hayes, Bootsy Collins, The Ojays, etc. Tookie's ass was listing to that stuff. Isn't always the music.

Like Equinox said, it's more than one thing.

"Ain't nuthin' to it, gangsta rap made me do it." :eek:

12. Sonny Dragon

Sonny Dragon Well-Known Member

No it has not. People have a tendecy to blame everything but themselves. Crime will always happen. The music is not at fault. The music is just music. Nothing more. Music does not wanna make you commit crimes, and you are a fool if you think it does.

13. Darkskinnedmale

Darkskinnedmale New Member

a little

well, it did make things worst, as we are a naturally violent race already. It just added a little more spice, if you will....

14. chicity

chicity New Member

Yes, that's right. It's a mere fantasy. Or urban legend, racist mythology, whatever you want to call it. It's not true.

If gangsta rap has a negative impact, do Kanye, Lupe & Common have a positive impact? Does that make them "not" Hip Hop?

Did the golden age of Country Music have the same impact on White people?

15. chicity

chicity New Member

There is absolutely no reason children should be listening to 50 cent. I have no doubt that listening to his lyrics would be detrimental to children, but one has to ask...why are the adults around those children allowing them to listen to those lyrics?

I remember going to see Dusk Till Dawn, and there were toddlers in the audience. No doubt seeing that movie damaged them. Is it the movie's fault? Tarrantino's?

If you wouldn't let your kid watch movies about gangsters, you shouldn't let them listen to music about gangstas.

This is common sense. I don't see why adults should have to curtail their entertainment for the sake of the children of irresponsible parents.

16. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Naturally violent race? What, is this shit genetic? Were blacks violent in 40 years ago, and before that? Not really.

17. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

I blame rappers for when they put out shitty music, not because kids are impressionable morons. At the end of the day, it's the choice of the kids, or parents.

18. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

Spectacularly, staggeringly, inept, asinine and incredibly stupid debut comments here. Fail of biblical proportions. Go away troll.

19. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Robin W, is that you in there?...

20. craxy

craxy Restricted

Modern rappers have destroyed hip hop which destroyed the black community. Back in the day, hip hop didn't contain "gangsta" themes or lyrics that had profanity. I bet people were listening then.

I prefer old school rap over modern anytime.