HIV has risen to a whole new level in the south.

Discussion in 'Health, Fitness and Fashion' started by KingAesop, Sep 23, 2014.

1. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

So true

You literally don't need anything to qualify for food stamps, and while it's not much you can be frugal and keep something in your belly every day

It's a great system for people in need who have little to no income, I'm just saddened that they actually reduced the benefit. It makes it a little harder to shop, but still you can survive off it

Then you have the SSI program for people with disabilities. So, even if you haven't worked a day in your life, you still qualify for a monthly check.

Getting people off the street and into homes is the number one problem in America, in my opinion

2. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

11 Facts About Hunger in the US

1 in 6 people in America face hunger.

Households with children reported a significantly higher food insecurity rate than households without children in 2011. 20.6 percent vs. 12.2 percent.

Food insecurity exists in every county in America. In 2011, 17.9 million households were food insecure.

50.1 million Americans struggle to put food on the table.

In the US, hunger isn’t caused by a lack of food, but rather the continued prevalence of poverty.

More than 1 in 5 children is at risk of hunger
    Among African-Americans and Latinos, it’s 1 in 3.

Over 20 million children receive free or reduced-price lunch each school day. Less than half of them get breakfast and only 10 percent have access to summer feeding sites.

For every 100 school lunch programs, there are only 87 breakfast sites and just 36 summer food programs.

1 in 7 people are enrolled in Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Nearly half of them are children.

40 percent of food is thrown out in the US every year, or about $165 billion worth. All of this uneaten food could feed 25 million Americans.

These seven states have statistically higher food insecurity rates than the US national average (14.7%):

Mississippi (19.2%)
    Texas (18.5%)
    Arkansas (19.2%)
    Alabama (17.4%)
    Georgia (17.4%)
    Florida (16.2%)
    North Carolina (17.1%)

3. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Well let me clear something up then

As long as you have 'access' to snap and stores that take the benefit, you shouldn't be going hungry

You do have people who illegally trade snap benefits for money, usually at a lesser rate, to buy non food items like smokes or liquor. If they're blowing benefits like that instead of feeding their family, that's on them

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Is that info from a .gov link, or an Advocacy page?

I absolutely agree with this. The only reason kids might go hungry EVERY NIGHT is because their adults in charge are squandering the money. There's actually a hairdresser in Philly who advertizes that she takes Access cards for payments. SMH.

I also agree with you that with frugal principles, you can stay fed. True hunger is an anomaly in this country, not ONE IN SIX people. I suspect that those stats include illegal people here who come with no papers or money and work for 20 cents and hr and then wonder why they may not have enough for food after paying their coyote off for room and board.

Additionally, some School lunch programs are now INCREASING their program to include dinner...AND...in some States, even if a child is not poor or hungry, EVERY child in the school becomes eligible for free meals (if its more than 30% poor kids on the program), so as not to stigmatize the poorer kids and foster an atmosphere of the haves and have nots.

5. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

That literally warmed my heart

No kids should be going hungry period, breakfast, lunch or dinner

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Hold on so you guys think people are going hungry because of bad decisions with money?
    I got a few documentaries for you guys to see. Be back

7. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

People going hungry with access to snap benefits and stores that take them are making bad decisions, provided the stores have low cost options to cover what they need

That's why snap was created, to feed everyone who fell through the cracks

I'm not sure how long u can get the benefit tho. That's another story

8. KingAesop

KingAesop Active Member

Sad but true.

9. The Dark King

And that right there shows how easy for you to have one in six people going hungry. You guys are thinking urban when so many people don't live close to stores to get food. Take a trip to the sticks in the south or midwest

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Yeah I'm thinking of Philly where the Rican papi stores are on every block in the hood, and take food stamps

I also am not sure how long u can receive snap. I think the government limited the duration of public assistance to motivate people to work

So

We can agree that poverty and derelict areas in the us are a bigger issue to address, since clearly free food programs do exist

11. Athena

Athena New Member

It was like that in NYC too (at least where I lived in BK). You could walk 2 blocks in any direction and hit a bodega that accepted food stamps.

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I love it that u can relate to my experiences

:freehug:

13. Athena

Athena New Member

Just waiting for you to show your pecs Pecs :smt049:smt049 Then I can TOTALLY relate ;)

14. satyr

satyr New Member

How about this for some fuckery?

Pastor with AIDS admits to sex with church members

MONTGOMERY, Ala. — A pastor shocked his Montgomery, Ala., congregation and the entire community with the admission that he had sex with female church members while knowing that he had AIDS.

The Rev. Juan D. McFarland made the admission from the pulpit during a Sunday service in September, said Deacon Nathan Williams Jr., a 71-year member of the Shiloh Missionary Baptist Church.

[​IMG]

15. APPIAH

APPIAH Well-Known Member

WAIT you are angry because i made reference to empirical data? REALLY? You who churlishly decided to show Indians defecating on a beach to prove a point that Indians do not have enough toilets just because there was a narrative that India was an emerging economy and could be a big player soon? How rich of you. It is insulting to the hungry people of America that you would tell them they don't know what hunger is when you probably havent been in their shoes. Thankfully someone produced the statistics and you condescendingly assumed that the stats couldnt be right and the stats probably included illegal immigrants who dont have food to eat in America. Even if it is, does it change the fact that people go hungry in America or do illegals not count as people in your book? I am assuming it is beneath an American citizen to go to sleep without food huh and its is annoying for an African to point out that some Americans are hungry.
    America has a national debt in its trillions but they dole out the most money to other nations but that does not change the fact that America is in debt does it? So because America has food in abundance it is inconceivable for people to know what hunger is huh? Does that sound logical to you? Does America have a housing deficit? NO but does that mean people are not homeless? NO The fact that there is an abundance of something doesn't mean everybody has access to it so please come again.:cool:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  16. Blacktiger2005

Blacktiger2005 Well-Known Member

If you think this a concern you have not seen nothing yet when Ebola becomes a pandemic. Like with AIDS the groups mentioned in the original article will be the biological weapons among us. How do you quarantine millions in the future.

17. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

At least u don't have to wear a hazmat suit when dealing with aids

If Ebola infected millions worldwide, you may as well put ur head between ur legs and kiss your asshole goodbye

18. The Dark King

Just like SARs and swine flu right? Problem with media lying so damn much what should we believe

19. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

irony is that the swine flu is more contagious and I am sitting pretty.

20. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

H1n1 has a vaccine (which healthcare workers had to get)

Ebola does not

If you can't understand the significance of that, it's your house I shall loot first when you die

Now...let the apocalypse begin