I Believe That...

Discussion in 'Religion, Spirituality and Philosophy' started by southfloridagirl, May 10, 2014.

1. southfloridagirl

southfloridagirl New Member

.... One day science and religion will meet in the middle and arrive at the truth. And I believe that neither can find it without the other. And I believe that time will prove me right. Though I may not be there to witness it.

What do you believe?

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I agree

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Truth? What truth? We are not doing enough with the knowledge that we already have. I believe the correct religion is learning. Learning is not only knowledge oriented but it is also behavior oriented. Unfortunately the more knowledge we obtain as a species, the more our behavior stays the same. Therefore I don't think it really matters what we believe.

4. southfloridagirl

There is a vast difference between knowledge and wisdom. I agree that we are not doing much significant for all of our knowledge. We keep doing the same stupid sh**, but exponentially faster and more of it.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

learning is applicable to both

6. southfloridagirl

True. It's ok to make mistakes if we learn something from them, so as not to repeat them like dumbasses. What short memories we have, as individuals and as a species.

7. The Dark King

Knowledge doesn't equal wisdom fam. Our technology far out paces our maturity.

8. southfloridagirl

That's exactly what I was trying to articulate. We are like little kids playing with matches.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

You are putting words in my mouth. I remember saying that learning was applicable to knowledge and wisdom. Don't remember saying that they were the same. If you want to split hairs the only difference is in the method in which they are obtained.

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

The subject of my post was more about learning than anything else.

11. southfloridagirl

Learning as a religion is an interesting concept. It would be the most all-inclusive religion ever, since we are all gifted with a brain and being invited to simply use it, both the left and the right side, at the same time.

12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Just another reason why it makes sense. That's what we have been doing anyway since the day we were born, just not enough of it. To write off the possibility of learning as a religion would be to simply assume that not only we know everything, but we also have already applied it correctly and received the full benefits of the related knowledge and wisdom.

13. southfloridagirl

I agree with this. I do think some people though will reject this as a concept of worship citing that spiritually speaking it is a bit much like....ummm... Satanism. The fixation on the possibility of self-enlightenment, and its material benefits.

14. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

On a personal note I believe in God, I just believe he gave us the ability to think in lieu of religion, probably would be considered a Deist. My belief is that the more we understand about science the more we understand about God. (However little that may be) The kicker is that atheists could also practice the all inclusive religion of learning because personal belief is irrelevant. (If they don't already) If we think learning is about material benefits then we have not learned much at all. Its nice when someone agrees, but I am a bit of a visionary so I could care less if people reject my concepts.

15. southfloridagirl

Agreed.

16. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

The trouble we have as human beings is that the search for an all-encompassing truth is too personal. This search becomes a selfish, Quixotic mission. What is it all for? To help ourselves? To help others? And if that truth is revealed, will we as humans accept it for what it is? Or, will we alter that truth to serve individual needs and desires? I believe in God, Jesus and Satan(I believe that Satan exists). I believe that science and religion, though they are opposites, go hand in hand. Whatever one believes, be it magic, miracles, cause and effect, it is almost relative.

17. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

I'd need more clarification to respond to this. How can science and religion meet to arrive at a truth? What is this truth that we are looking for?

As far as I'm concerned, science already confirms truths. While religion requires an uncompromising faith in things that are claimed to be truths but are wholly unintended to be proven. Where CAN these two possibly meet?

18. The Dark King

They can meet at faith. Science usually requires faith that answers can be found and not all religion requires uncompromising faith. Study other theology besides the Abrahamic ones, it'll really open your mind.

19. QuietSoul

QuietSoul New Member

I'm.a Christian, but I tend not to tell ppl unless asked because I don't like being associated with negative stereotypes like fundies or spiros. My faith is deeply personal and experiential, and something I came to without much religious influence in my world. I don't know how to explain the feeling, but it's like being spiritually awake or sober or aware, and it's also humbling.

As for your idea, I think it will happen in one sense, but in another, is ty quantifiable? Can it be measured or tangibly proven in a way that would satisfy a scientific process?

20. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I know what fundies are, but what are spiros? I can't figure out what that term is short for.