I HOPE THEY SEE THIS

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by kenny_g, Apr 8, 2007.

1. kenny_g

kenny_g New Member

During my time off looking for a new job I came across A soap opera with interracial with what I thought was going to be having an interracial couple. (Wanted to see how it went since alot IR pairings on t.v. nowdays are venturing back to that no kissing, no romance move: Heroes, What about brian, house, etc.)

But the soap I was watching (ONE LIFE TO LIVE) had the brotha chasing after a white woman who is playing the friend game that doesn't want him.
    Instead she is crying and craving after the white dude.

I hate it when they have the black man chasing after the white woman who doesn't want them because to me first of all we all know how hollywood works and I know from experience(seeing it in everyday life) and the words of lindsey lohan that they(both ww&wm) get a kick out of that. Thats probably why he wrote it. And it looks like the brotha is kissing their ass.

2. awia

awia New Member

Reading this reminds me of a recent news byte about Mr Universe beauty pageant currently running in the USA.

I don't know if they've crowned a winner yet, but my eyes (naturally lol) were drawn to the muscle-bound brotha in the back row... :p and wondered what would happen if by some near-impossible chance HE won. Can you imagine how that would make WM feel !!???!! :lol:

It would be such a bombshell... IMHO... overnight, WW who never looked at brothas before would be :smt119 BM, the fashion industry would need to do a backflip, BM would celebrate, and WM would cry.... :smt100

3. hellspawn72

hellspawn72 Member

You ought to check out THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. The Winters' (Neil and Drew) daughter Lily ended up marrying a white dude (Danny Romaladi, whatever) and moving into a small apartment there after. All this after the Winters moving in a black runaway teen (Devon), who initially had it for Lily but Neil shut that down with "she's your sister" business. Later, Lily being an "A" student all throughout high school couldn't graduate on time and had to get a GED.

Did I mention that the same husband was the one who along with another white boy named Kevin Fisher helped to orchestrate her rape? She ultimately found out about it, was furious with Daniel BUT stayed with him. As for Devon, well he NEVER gets any play. There was a white girl named Sierra who was a friend of Lily's and she and Devon hung out from time to time. But clearly, the writers were never going to make it seem as though they were together. And to top it off, they waited until Valentine's Day while everyone had a significant other in order for Devon to find a nice girl at a party (black chick). Which is cool of course, but why take so long to do it, if at all? Probably because it's generally known that in Hollywood, audiences don't generally respond to black on black relationships well But they don't mind putting an IR-wm/bw on TV because it simply doesn't ruffle too many feathers.

Now maybe I'm just nitpicking, but it seems to me that these "formulas" are easier for the audience to stomach. As for a couple of those shows mentioned, What About Brian handles IR-bm/ww pretty good. The brotha on there is pretty smooth. He was on EVE and had his own show in '02 (Platinum). And let's be really, this is ABC. The same pastey clean network that has THE BACHELOR. HEROES please. They're on quite possible the whitest network in history. HOUSE I'm conflicted on because I absolutely love it. It's brilliant. But yeah, Omar Epps, dark-skinned brotha, was an ex-con I believe. We know he wasn't going to get Cameron and NEVER will. By the way, she's doing Chase because he's the ONLY viable candidate. I mean, whose Foreman going to get with, Cuddy???? Be real. Not while Brian Singer is EXEC. Prod. Hell, shutting down that thing with the white nurse was probably the best move they've made for his character.

4. nobledruali

nobledruali Well-Known Member

:? I don't watch soaps like I used to but the IR action for bros has always been pretty dayum weak :x to say the least :!: And speaking of ONE LIFE TO LIVE, the IR that's been raging on that show for a long time has always been the cute sista on their played by Rene Goldsberry with various white & Hispanic dudes. I was shocked :shock: to find out that she's married to a bro in real life who is a NY attorney :!:

Also, I posted on another board about the bro on What About Brian being married to the least attractive white lady on the show. :p He's a cool bro that deserves more screen time on the show & a better looking wifey too. :lol:

5. AnMDBCartoon

AnMDBCartoon New Member

Hmmmmm....

Seeing as how I've not looked at any US daytimedramas since GENERAL HOSPITAL back in the 1980's....and ESPECIALLY since I've expatriated to the UK..I have NO idea what's goin' on with those Stateside Soaps....

Wonder if there's any way that there might be one of you kind individuals that are able to amass a VHS/DVD compilation of said clips from these programmes..

Seriously.

Negotiations to follow..

OpinionsCartoonStudios@yahoo.co.uk

6. designer

designer New Member

You may want to check ABC, NBC and CBS's websites.
    I'm not a soap guy but they show their other TV shows on their websites so I'm guessing it would be the same for soaps.

I don't think TV as a whole has ever been fair in IR relationships so like most of pop culture there are somethings that are still to hot to touch out of fear of sponsors pulling out money.

I would love to see some IR's based on the same joys and pains as "regular" relatinships.
    You know, like how it is in the real world.

But as progressive as Hollywood likes to believe it is, they are [can be] just as silly as middle America when it comes to matter of race and love.

7. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

The soaps in the UK like Eastenders and Coronation Street have WW going after brothers. More than in the US.

8. nobledruali

:smt023

9. kenny_g

kenny_g New Member

They could sure learn something from that.

I did not know so many other soaps were doing this. Only other one I knew was passions.

10. AnMDBCartoon

AnMDBCartoon New Member

I'm a WITNESS!

They do that FAR MORE OFTEN than ANY Stateside programme I've ever seen....

:smt026

OpinionsCartoonStudios@yahoo.co.uk

11. Soulthinker

ACartoon you got that right. Not only in the soaps but in some tv shows as well. I saw the movie Love Accually and it had that friend of the brother going after the bride. That is rare in a brit flick but I think it is funded by Americans.

12. Soul_Brotha

Soul_Brotha New Member

What, maybe I didn't read this write. That ugly red headed bitch on crack, Lindsay said that? She gets a kick out of BM chasing after her?

13. Iffy'swifey

Iffy'swifey New Member

Eastenders always has IR relationships going on. It's hardly ever promoted as an IR story, just any other relationship. IR really isn't a huge deal over here.

14. kenny_g

kenny_g New Member

She did(LOL) Soul' check it out her comments are everywhere:

http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_1430002.html?menu=news.celebrities

http://www.rapverse.com/pages/195358/Cent-Gets-The-Horn.html

http://s14.invisionfree.com/URBAN_VOICES/ar/t51.htm

15. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

The soaps in the UK like Eastenders and Coronation Street have WW going after brothers. More than in the US.
    U.K. soaps seem to reflect society in a balanced way. They are surely having a positive influence on IR dating. And it goes on without comment.
    This will make it easier for W.W. to date B.M. :smt023

16. fly girl

fly girl Well-Known Member

Also, Neil was being chased by Carmen and he has had an affair with Victoria.

Malcolm has dated Victoria and Phyllis.

And Damon also dated Victoria and Phyllis.

There have been more, I just cant recall them all.

17. Soulthinker

True Sarah and the soap in the UK would continue to that path while the US soaps play catch up.

18. sarah23

sarah23 Well-Known Member

To Aiwa. Interesting observation about Mr universe. Yes that would provoke a major rethink. Guess white guys would be upset and cry. :lol:
    God, dont you feel so sad for them.
    Anyway we already have Mr Universe in our lives.

19. nobledruali

:idea: Also Phyllis use to be hot & heavy with that tall bro who use to have dreads.

20. Soulthinker

The tall guy with the dreads was Damon. I watch the show myself sometimes. I hope the Aussie soaps can have a brother there as well.