BM/WW IR sightings on TV

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Kid Rasta, Dec 21, 2005.

1. Young Herschel

Young Herschel Well-Known Member

Dax Shepard actually joked years ago that being an IR Cuckold was a "career choice" for him when the couple was being interviewed by Access Hollywood :)

2. ryanpaulstewart

ryanpaulstewart Well-Known Member

IR Hall of Fame, indeed. Let's put together a nomination panel!

3. ryanpaulstewart

From what I've read the potential BM/WW IR in Everything Sucks is a misdirect for something else - not IR, but with a different progressive push for representation. Decided to be cryptic instead of spoiler-y.

4. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

I haven't actually seen the show yet, but I think I know what you are referring to. I did notice some slight hints in the trailer.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Yeah don't know how I feel about it. Like would it have been too much to ask for this young black boy to have a decent coming of age story that didn't involve using him as a plot device especially with him being the lead?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. ryanpaulstewart

I read the review of it; if the show gets renewed, they'll be brother and sister because there's a subplot of their parents dating as well. He can come age next season, if Netflix decides to go in that direction.

7. Legion

Legion New Member

Actually they’ve made the girl a lesbian

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. The Dark King

A bit of a let down but I did enjoy a black kid being the lead

9. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

The girl that was involved in the IR relationship?

10. Legion

Legion New Member

Yes
    Kate Messner

11. Reverie

Reverie Well-Known Member

I see your point.

12. darkcurry

I saw a clip of where you're getting at where she sees a lesbian couple and start to catch feelings. So how is there a IR between her and the black boy? Is he pursuing her? I don't understand what people are talking about if she's gay. lol.

13. Legion

Legion New Member

I saw the series already
    All the 10 episodes
    In the beginning everything looked fine (Kate subsequently enters into a relationship with Luke to throw off any LGBTQ+ suspicions)
    sorry for some spoilers
    But in the 4th episode she admitted to him that she’s a lesbian
    And in the episode 10 she’s seen kissing with Emaline

14. darkcurry

Just use the spoilers tag next time on the insert tool above.
    But it SEEMS like they kind of used the IR part to promote LGBTQ over it?
    I'm being skeptical because we know how more accepting hollywood is of gay relationships over IR relationships between black males and white females.
    So it could be nothing, but you know got to stay woke with Hollywood.

15. Young Herschel

Yet another NETFLIX original series that assertively embraces the teen interracial experience, albeit in an ultra-elite echelon, is "Greenhouse Academy". NETFLIX has just launched the sophmore season this Winter and I wonder how people feel it measures up to "Everything Sucks" . . . judging from episode 3, season 1 onward though as it begins rather slowly to be honest but the third episode has a more daring dramatic pace to it

16. The Dark King

While I enjoyed Everything Sucks for the 90s nostalgia the IR aspect was wack. If you notice everyone had someone crushing on them EXCEPT the black boy. Even the socially awkward kid who had hard time connecting had at least one girl checking for him the other socially awkward kid had fans he ignored but the black kid got no love. Smh

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  17. Jamal-Spunky

Jamal-Spunky New Member

When I learned a couple of months back about an upcoming Netflix series in the 90s centering on a black boy and a white girl I got pumped. Finally a show concentrating on the romance between a black male and a white female, this time from the perspective of teenagers. A rarity. Then I saw the official trailer and lost almost all interest. The girl was clearly gay, which meant no romance. Even worse the IR would be filled in by the black mother and the white dad of the respective teenagers. Get the fuck out of here. Netflix shows and movies specialize in white man-black woman relationships. Didn't need another one.

Now based upon what I'm reading the black kid gets no one. American media still puts a check on black male sexuality, in particular in ensuring they are rarely pursued romantically/sexually by females on screen.

18. The Dark King

What other Netflix shows have white men with black women. Not doubting you just curious.

19. Young Herschel

The teen interracial experience of "Greenhouse Academy " features a direct descendant of European Royalty as the WW. Her grandmother's grandmother supposedly was a princess of Yugoslavia before the monarchy disbanded alongside the country itself. The true life embodiment of my inner-child's aspirations - to date a beautiful white princess lol. Something that wouldn't have been permitted in 1980's television to be sure . . if there was any teen interracial she was probably flawed or marked down in some capacity (SMDH)

We damn sure weren't permitted some A level paramour like on "Greenhouse Academy". How I hope Jamie Foxxx brings Grace back for the second season of his Showtime comedy . . . if only to showcase her interracial affinity this time :)

20. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

Keeping up with sites like Deadline and Shadow and Act, it was as if I was constantly coming across such news releases. I can't recall all the names right now but I'll list a few that I can recall:

"How It Ends" (Movie made for Netflix in which the daughter of Forest Whitaker is in a relationship with a white guy which is the center of a tale about an apocalyptic event).
    "Godless" (An old west Tv series about women who have to defend a town; in the mix their is a romance relationship between a young white cowboy and a black chick).
    "Altered Carbon" (TV show in which the white male lead has a black wife)
    "The Incredible Jessica James" (movie about the romance between a white guy and a black woman, albeit the movie was purchased at Sundance by Netflix).
    "Irreplaceable You" (Romance drama, tear-jerker centered on a relationship between a black woman and a white woman)
    "On My Block" (A TV comedy set in South Central in which the main romance is between the black female lead and a Hispanic guy ---okay he's not white but whatever).
    And of course "Everything Sucks"

Forgotten some of the other examples but the above are the ones I do recall.