Is Will Smith finally getting a white female love interest or a Black Female Costar??

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by hellified, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Will the studio cast a black, white or latina with Will Smith this time?

1. Studio will cast a black actress - a couple of them have a high enough profile

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Studio will cast a white actress - in the age of Obama its about time

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Studio will get a white actress but change the relation from romantic to platonic

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Studio will cast a latina - its proven the safest bet

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I don't think Will Smith was the star in that one

2. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Oops

I'll take my discount ass out of here then

Lol

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Will Smith had a minor role in the film Where The Day Takes You. He portrayed a handicapped homeless teen. Ricki Lake was also in the film.

4. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Will Smith was the star of Six Degrees of Separation. THe movie was about his character fronting on high society white folks an ingratiating himself into their lives.

BTW in I Am Legend, Alice Braga was more a surviving character. She and Smith didn't really have any romantic connection.

Rosario Dawson and Will Smith weren't really a romantic couple in MIB2 either that I remember.

I still think Will Smith for whatever reason turns down more romantic roles. I don't know why.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Looks like supporting to me fam did you see it?

6. chamber

chamber Active Member

His love intrest will probably be latina.

Will Smith has said he wanted to do a romatic comedy film with Cameron Diaz for a while but I guess because she looks caucasian Hollywood aren't in a rush to front the cash for it.

7. andreboba

Six Degrees of Separation?? Yeah I saw it. It's based on a play by the same name. Will Smith's character plays the central role in the entire movie.
    He narrates, it's about his character's hustle.

8. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

No, he doesn't. That is Denzel Washington. Smith simply hasn't fought against the system in Hollywood that tends to not provide black male leads with love interests.

9. hellified

hellified Active Member

two scenes missing from I Am Legend:

1. After he had to kill the dog and was in the video store trying to holla at the mannequin he should have freaked out and smashed all the mannequins in the store and wrecked the store in a blind rage. That would have really underscored his realization of his ultimate isolation and dovetailed nicely into the next scene of him confronting the dark seekers later that night in a suicide attempt.

2. A sex scene with Anna. This dude was trying to pick up a mannaquin yet doesn't show somekind of attraction to SONIA BRAGA'S NIECE??? as you can see from the pics shes not shy about doing nudity or sex scenes.
    [​IMG]

That scene could have happened when he was talking about bob marley and they were listening to his music..they were alone in the room..the kid was asleep in the upstairs room..instead of playing whatever song they were they could have played Waiting In Vain or Is This Love..they take that cliched long look into each eyes and start to tear each others clothes off... or kiss passionately and slowly undress each other as the music gets louder..

It would work cuz USUALLY there is a lovemaking scene between a man and woman whenever theres a tragic event in movies...except when its a black man.:roll:

in MIB2 he and dawson had a definite attraction and she cried when she had to leave him.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

yeah I am Legend definitely skipped out on the realism department

that's why I like The Walking Dead

no one's afraid to get it in regardless of how bad the world is, lol

you'd think Will's character woulda at least did some foreplay..shit he hadn't touched a real woman in what...several years

i can't go a week without feeling one up

11. andreboba

Will Smith turns down way more scripts than he decides to act in. Common sense says there are movie roles with romantic leads that for whatever reason don't appeal to him.

He's been A-list for some time now. If Smith wanted to really star in an intimate romantic role, he could give his agent the heads up to look out specifically for such role for him to star in.

Check Will Smith's box office. He's at the point where he can greenlight scripts by himself, no matter the subject.

LOL at people re-writing movies with added sex scenes, or putting u-turns in the plot.

There are times when someone is in crisis where the urge to survive trumps the desire for pussy. Besides Braga's character was with her SON. What was Smith supposed to do?? Tell her boy to wait in the living room while he dicked down his momma???lol:smt077

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

this cat NEVER does those straight-to-netflix side gigs

every movie he does is on some big name shit

13. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Auditions are the only way to find out. I think Sonia Braga could get the role. Or, perish the thought, the role is handed to another white actor to make it easier for the studio. Or, and this might be possible for Smith, go the indie route and make his own films. He can do that.

14. hellified

hellified Active Member

The little white boy wasn't her son...he was just a survivor she saved. And he was asleep in will's daughter old room up stairs.

15. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

Will Smith can get barely get near a woman of any color in most of his movies, but his wife had a TV show that revolved around her character's relationships with white men. LOL @ anybody who's still waiting and hoping for Hollywood to present a realistic view of black male sexuality.

16. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Hollywood is more likely to show gay sexuality than Black male sexuality.

17. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

Indeed.

18. andreboba

What are you saying?? Do you want to see a BM in a serious romantic lead in a movie, or, do you wanna see Denzel laying pipe to his beautiful costar??lol

Last time I checked there isn't much fucking in mainstream romantic flicks. It's all the emotional shit and feelings that appeal to women.

19. JamalSpunky

Smith is so damn powerful that he had to wait for a white actors like Ryan Gosling and Bradley Cooper and Ben Affleck turn down the role in "Focus" before he was able to get in and take it. None of those guys have Smith's box office record and yet the studio making the film was going after them first as Smith waited on the sideline. What does that tell you?

Without question Smith is a powerful person who turns down a lot of scripts but he is NOT able to snatch up the elite A scripts despite his clout. The elite scripts go to the top white actors at the moment, the leading men with some box office clout but more importantly the acting chops that garner them respect. George Clooney. Brad Pitt. Bradley Cooper. Michael Fassbener. Johnny Depp. Ryan Gosling. Leonardo DiCaprio. Matt Damon. Hell, if Ben Affleck is still getting first looks over Smith then you might as well throw in Robert Downey Jr too because he is far superior and is now a better box office draw than Affleck. And let's not forget Tom Cruise is still one of the biggest international stars in the world. Studios and producers may pursue him more than they do Smith.

Do you think it is a coincidence that the biggest black male box office draws of the past thirty years (Eddie, Denzel, Will) had a majority slate of films in which their characters had no love lives, no love scenes, not much of any kissing while their white counterparts get that in the majority of their motion pictures? After all that is what "leading men" are supposed to do, right? Adam Sandler is a goofy-looking muthafucka and a comedian while we are at it and he gets more young hotties to be his love interests than Denzel Washington. Again...coincidence? It should be obvious by now that Hollywood is dominated by white men. That includes those guys writing the scripts who almost always picture (or describe) their main male characters as being "white". Washington and Smith rarely get the elite scripts that go on to be the genre-changing blockbusters or the Oscar winning screenplays because the studios have in mind a white guy playing those parts. Denzel only got "Flight" because the actors whom the writer and producers were initially interested in (Clooney and Pitt) turned down the role (they have a whole lot more options). What's even more sad about that is the fact that "Flight" is only a pretty good script, its not even a great script.

The one lone surprise about "Flight" which gives me hope was that the studio and director didn't go ahead with getting rid of the love interest once Denzel came aboard. Even more surprisingly the studio, director and Denzel himself of all people did not object to the choosing of a white actress to play the role. But this has been the exception, not the rule. Remember "Hancock"? The original script was more of a love story involving Smith and Charlize's characters. But that aspect of the story was mostly tossed aside when Smith got the lead. That has been a trend. Silvester Stallone was the first choice for Beverly Hills Cop and thus the storyline involved a romance with his female friend whom he met up again in Beverly Hills. Stallone turns the movie down, Eddie comes in and all of a sudden that female friend remains nothing more than a friend. Understand? The love story/romantic angle has repeatedly been written down or written out completely when a black guy finds his way into the film's leading role (Pelican Brief, I Am Legend, I Robot). Or the studios decide on keeping the love story alive by casting a Latina
    Last thing. I ask everyone to do this : when they are looking at the next trailer in theaters or on YouTube or even if they go back and look at older trailers (the past ten years) on YouTube, look at how the different choices are made for comparable films starring white men compared for those starring black men. If a black actor and a white actor each stars in a different action film in which they have a female love interest whom they kiss and get busy with, you are not likely to see a clip of such sexuality in the trailers for the film with the black male star, but it is almost impossible to not get a couple of those shots in the trailer with the white male star. Even in films in which there is no true romance or any love scenes at all in a film, the trailers for the flick with the white guy will find ANY moment in the movie in which the white man is sharing a scene with a female and edit to make it look as if the two will hook up in the story. That tells you everything about whom Hollywood is trying to sell in regards to the area of sex appeal (or at least Hollywood is catering to what it thinks the audience wants to see).

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  20. JamalSpunky

That may be going too far (although perhaps you are right). What I will say is that it may be less controversial for Hollywood to cast a young, black actor as the love interest of a gay, white male character in a mainstream film than it would be for that same Hollywood to cast a young, black actor as the love interest of a heterosexual, white female character in a mainstream film.