Is Will Smith finally getting a white female love interest or a Black Female Costar??

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by hellified, Apr 19, 2013.

?

Will the studio cast a black, white or latina with Will Smith this time?

1. Studio will cast a black actress - a couple of them have a high enough profile

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Studio will cast a white actress - in the age of Obama its about time

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  3. Studio will get a white actress but change the relation from romantic to platonic

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. Studio will cast a latina - its proven the safest bet

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. JamalSpunky

JamalSpunky Well-Known Member

No, she doesn't. She has made mention that she is a black woman who happens to be a Latina (for God's sakes she did a cover story for Ebony magazine). You can be both especially considering Latino/Hispanic is NOT a race of people in the first place. That being said she probably does benefit from Americans who think black people with Spanish surnames are some different species of people from the Magical Land of Not Really Black Darkskinned People. There are both idiotic black and white Americans on that front.

2. JamalSpunky

:smt017

Not.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  3. JamalSpunky

That's a great breakdown! Thank you for doing the homework.

4. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

:roll: I like it when motherfuckers play dumb about something that's easy to understand.

5. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

Yeah, but many Latinos/Hispanics have an aversion to claiming black ancestry. Saldana is no different. I remember her getting pissed when a reporter called her a "black woman" while she was doing an interview to promote Guess Who. She said that she was "Latina not black," which is something I've heard plenty of times.

I guess that she smartened up to the fact that it's not good for an actress who's the first choice to get cast for every major black female role in Hollyweird to go around claiming that she isn't "black."

6. JamalSpunky

If I can get any verifiable proof of her making these claims as you say I will join you in criticism of her. My take though is that I come across many African Americans who seem to despise her for one reason and another and that leads to them making up remarks that she never uttered. I want to be careful before I go and accept anything at face value. Point me to a link of her making those types of remarks and I'll be more than happy to take shots at her.

Yes there are Hispanics who have an aversion to the "black" label. No doubt. But part of that group is confused with the whole "black" thing in the first place. Many see 'blacks" as African Americans. Even some Africans think of being "black" as being African Americans. While others around the world think of blacks as being only those in sub Saharan Africa. Its nuts. Dominicans may be the worse of all so-called Hispanics when denying that their dark skin is the result of being the descendants of slaves from Africa. And for those who don't know Saldana's family is from the Dominican Republic. So maybe there could be something there about her attitudes.

Still...I have read quotes in which she claimed to be a black woman. And if she was trying to hide that why allow a cover story for Ebony magazine?

7. hellified

hellified Active Member

Casting Will Smith’s love interest in “Hitch” was not a simple black or white decision.

Eva Mendes was given the role opposite Smith because the moviemakers were worried about the public’s reaction if the part was given to a white or an African American actress, according to Smith. The actor is saying that it was feared that a black couple would have put off worldwide audiences whereas a white/African American combo would have offended viewers in the U.S.
    “There’s sort of an accepted myth that if you have two black actors, a male and a female, in the lead of a romantic comedy, that people around the world don’t want to see it,” Smith told the British paper, the Birmingham Post while promoting the flick overseas. “We spend $50-something million making this movie and the studio would think that was tough on their investment. So the idea of a black actor and a white actress comes up — that’ll work around the world, but it’s a problem in the U.S.”

Eva Mendes — who is of Cuban descent — was seen as a solution because apparently, the black/Latina combination is not considered taboo.

Sony didn’t return calls for comment.

http://www.today.com/id/7019342#.UXWGzaKR9IU

8. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

something like this was posted way back when when Hitch was circulating

definitely believable since studios depend on viewers to make their money

a LOT of people would be turned off if Will was chasing around some WW

kinda why you dont see more big-budget gay/lesbian films

9. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Let's be honest:

That's why studios avoid that shit like the plague.

They don't want all the backlash.

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

im surprised Save the Last Dance made it off the production lot TBH

but then again, with the setting and majority of actors in it being black, it was a 'black' film. black women had a prominent role in the film, and of course the IR relationship was like doomed from the start due to racism (people love IR between bm/ww on the big screen only if racism is involved :p) I'm willing to bet my two front teeth that the target audience wasn't white males, which constitute a huge chunk of moviegoer capital

WW could probably go either way, as some are for IR and could put themselves into the shoes of Julia Styles

This new film that had Ben Afleck probably isn't a 'black' movie, and their target audience is probably a huge chunk of the 17-34 year old white male demographic

why cast a WW in a strong co-starring role with a black actor, in which both develop a personal/potentially sexual relationship

white guys dont want to see that..they'll be throwing popcorn at the screen

11. jxsilicon9

jxsilicon9 Active Member

They cast an Australian white woman. You called it.

12. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

IR between BM and WW are more taboo than homosexual relationships in movies.

13. AlmostThere

AlmostThere Active Member

Margot Robbie?

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. blackbrah

blackbrah Well-Known Member

Will Smith tends to take 'safe' roles which is why I have a bit of dislike for him, and think he's overrated.

In Hancock it's revealed that him and Charlize Theron were 'married' for centuries, yet they averted a kiss scene.

In Hitch they casted a Latina, Eva Mendes, to not offend white audiences. Maybe not so much his fault but he does go safe all the time.

Turned down Django to do as silly movie with his son. I can't take him seriously as an actor.

15. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

They filmed them kissing in Hancock, it was the studio that chickened out of including it in the final cut of the film.

[YOUTUBE]yOr2rPhHSuM[/YOUTUBE]

16. Elklodge

Elklodge Well-Known Member

The story with "Hitch" is according the director. Cameron Diaz was set to play the role but the studio didn't want to pair Smith with a white woman. So they cast Mendez. Here is the thing though. Diaz is Cuban, Mendez is from Spain as in Mendez is secretly more white than Diaz. Hahaha studio.

Probably the most blatant of Smith inexplicably not getting with a white female co-star comes from "I-Robot" everything seemed to build towards their sexual tension then they chicken out once again.

17. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Saw a gossip magazine today of Smith having fun with Ms.Robbie at a photo booth. However,Smith is cowardly in having a swirl scene.

18. Hypestyle

Hypestyle New Member

Bring on Dania.. if only I haven't seen her in anything in the past couple of years.. where's she at?

19. xoxo

xoxo Well-Known Member

;)

20. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Having seen Hitch a couple of times, I'd pick Eva Mendez over Cameron Diaz any day of the week. Cameron Diaz is a fun and fearless woman who likes to think like a guy and is probably game for anything. Eva Mendez is smart, soft, feminine and strong. She relishes being a woman. And her booty caught my attention. I think Jennifer Lopez was probably offered the Sarah Milez role, since Will Smith had wanted to work with her at one time. But, Eva got the role and their chemistry was spot on. The studios are very afraid of pairing Smith with an A-list white American actress. And everyday corporations talk about the benefits of taking risks. Sounds like a contradiction to me.