Living on Bitcoin

Discussion in 'In the News' started by The Dark King, Feb 21, 2015.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Ches try harder that was weak.

2. The Dark King

This is why I constantly call you out for being a bold faced liar. What have I peddled what have I offered?
    I shared a video about what it's like to try and live on bitcoin. It's not like at the end there's some solicitation. Seriously what is your problem? If your dislike of me so deep why would you come into a thread I started just for the sole purpose of arguing with me about something you clearly have no real knowledge on.

3. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

You watched wolf of wall street didn't you? I don't get how you mine for something that is not tangible..a bit too flimsy for me...

4. The Dark King

I hear you but think of it like this most of the money we use now isn't tangible there's periods of time where I don't touch physical money for days or even weeks because I use my card for most purchases or pay bills online. Tangibility is slowly going away in terms of money.

And as far as wolf of wall st. I am not selling anything. I am not telling any of you that I can make you rich

5. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Who's trying?

6. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Nope, just thinking critically and the hard won experience of being a serial entrepreneur. Nothing big. Everything legal. Just enough to earn a working class/lower middle class lifestyle (nice little house, paid off car, no credit card debt, some savings) while allowing myself time to be creative. I haven't had to work for someone else since I dropped out of college. Although, the last couple of years have been really rough due to my accident. But, that will be changing this year as I grow stronger and get back into the swing of things.

Per your link:
    $0 to $3,000 monthly 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction
    $3,000 to $10,000 monthly 2.5% + $0.30 per transaction
    $10,000 to $100,000 monthly 2.2% + $0.30 per transaction

So let's do the math. At the lowest rate 2.2% + .30. Say you're selling CD's at $10 a pop. To make $10,000 one has to sell 1000 units. So, 1000x.30 is $300. Plus, the 2.2% on $10,000 which comes to $220. So, all together that's $520 paid to Paypal.

Now, if one is able to sell $10,000 worth of CD's then that $520 is a big hit. Why? 'Cause you could take that $520 to buy, you guessed it, more CD's. Roughly, 404 CD's actually. 404 X's $10 is $4040. So, basically you are giving Paypal $4040 on every $10,000 you make. How reasonable does that sound if there is a better alternative?

Looking at Bitcoin's 3.4% of $10,000, you'd end up only giving them $340. You can get another small run of 299 CD's for under that amount. 'Cause if you can sell 1000, you grind out another 299 X's $10. That gives you $2990 you are paying in fees using Bitcoin vs. Paypal's $4040 in fees based on the same amount of sales.

That makes Bitcoin quite attractive in the long run "if" it ends up being all it's purported to be. Add in it's privacy features and it's a no brainier.

One would be foolish not to keep an open mind. Shit, if companies like Dell are accepting it, it must be worth a good, honest look.

There may be some flaws in my math 'cause I just kinda rattled this off, but I think you'll get the general idea.

7. The Dark King

Definitely on point fam. Only one correction bitcoin doesn't charge 3.4% the transaction fee is a flat rate which can range from 40 cents to free.
    http://bitcoinfees.com/
    So it's even cheaper than what you listed.
    And along with Dell Tiger.com cheapair.com and microsoft accept bitcoin
    Like you said these billion dollar companies wouldn't take it as payment if there wasn't some legitmacy to it

8. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

Major props! Your living the America dream.

Dude you need to start practicing some abstinence when it comes to your haters, stay dropping knowledge and stay positive.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  9. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

Thanks, but I have to be honest. I lost everything when my health took a very rapid turn for the worst. So, I'm starting over from less than zero. But, I'm pretty sure I can get back to where I need to be.

It's all about the idea and the effort.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  10. The Dark King

Thanks fam

11. The Dark King

Sorry to hear that fam. Love your attitude though

12. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Microsoft only accept it for apps and games...hardly a gamble for a multi-billion dollar company. They even told bitcoin enthusiasts to chill - its a toe dip.

Btw...about Microsoft, Dell..etc? .here -

EVERYDAY MONEY*BITCOIN

No, Big Companies Aren’t Really Accepting Bitcoin

Jacob Davidson*@JakeDJan. 9, 2015

Businesses like Microsoft, Dell, and Expedia say they accept bitcoin as payment. But that's not quite accurate..

(TDK says)
    “Irrespective of your opinion, the rise in popularity of cryptocurrencies cannot be ignored,” the post reads. “Today, there are a number of billion dollar businesses that accept Bitcoin as a form of payment. These include Dell, Reddit, Expedia, PayPal, and most recently, Microsoft. So for the uninitiated who have not yet grasped what Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are, you ought to catch up.”

In other words,*Hey haters,*look at all these huge companies that are accepting bitcoin!*How can you ignore that kind of support?

Well, there’s just one problem there: Almost none of the businesses mentioned above technically accept bitcoin.
    Instead, they partner with a middleman—generally either Coinbase or BitPay—who takes a customer’s bitcoin, immediately converts it into cash, and then deposits the cash in the company’s bank account.

In other words,*Dell,*Expedia, Microsoft, and Time, Inc. don’t actually “accept” bitcoins, per se. They accept U.S. dollars. It’s their bitcoin processing partners who accept bitcoin. They, in turn, make money on transaction fees (in the case of Coinbase), or by selling their software and services as a subscription (in the case of BitPay).

BitPay, which has partnered with Microsoft, Newegg, and other merchants, confirmed to MONEY that the majority of its major clients ask that their bitcoins be instantly converted to cash. “I would say as a general trend most of our larger business do choose a settlement in 100% U.S. dollars because that’s how they do their accounting and finance,” said Tony Gallippi, co-founder and executive chairman of BitPay.

That’s a rather charitable explanation of why companies take fiat over bitcoin when given the choice. In reality, it’s probably because they simply don’t trust bitcoin as a stable store of value.
    Since Dell began accepting bitcoin through Coinbase in July 2014, bitcoin’s value has dropped by over 54 percent. If Dell had actually kept the cryptocurrency it received, its revenue from bitcoin sales would have essentially been cut in half.<----

Even Overstock.com CEO Patrick Byrne, one of bitcoin’s most outspoken supporters, doesn’t think bitcoin is worth embracing in full.

His company, which also uses Coinbase,*keeps 90% of bitcoin transaction revenue in dollars. Considering the magnitude of Bitcoin’s price drop, Overstock has likely still paid a heavy price for Byrne’s enthusiasm.<------

All of this is not to say more companies taking bitcoin—even through a middleman—is a bad thing for the currency. At the very least, it gives bitcoin holders something (legal) to spend their money on, and increases bitcoin’s utility, which, in the long run, could make it a more viable medium of exchange. Cryptocurrency fans should be naming their first born children after Coinbase and BitPay executives since there would probably still be no major businesses accepting bitcoin at all without these companies offering full conversion services.

But make no mistake, just because Dell and the like are letting their customers pay in bitcoin doesn’t mean they believe in the currency. It’s just that intermediary services have made it possible to accept bitcoin without*really*accepting it. If anything, that shows corporations still don’t trust bitcoin with the one thing a currency needs to do: hold its worth.

That’s the metric we should be using to measure bitcoin’s success, not by counting the number of merchants with a Coinbase link on their checkout page.

No, Big Companies Aren’t Really Accepting Bitcoiin.

13. The Dark King

You could better use all that hateful energy and actually do something productive.
    If I have a bitcoin and can use that bitcoin to purchase goods and services then that business does in fact accept bitcoin. And even if you want to argue its not being used as a currency and more of a store of value of like gold it still works very well in transferring funds.

14. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

You see it as hate, because you're pissweak.

You should be thanking me because l'm preparing you for the onslaught of skeptism you'll encounter -- if anything, you won't continue to look like a fool spouting off big corps use it, when in fact, they use a middleman and immediately convert it to U. S dollars.

So where is your money revolution, TDK?

I work damn hard for my money, and lve researched bitcoin, so you better have a better answer than crying I'm a hater...
    In fact, Bitcoins to donuts, l bet you the 2 people coddling you here aren't going to invest their savings in buying such a volatile commodity. Which is why you havent, either.

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

One more thing - I cant buy a cup of coffee with it. A basic cup of coffee. EVEN if l could, l can do that already with paypal cc and cash. I can transfer funds for free already, and for .10 cents on the dollar internationally. Tell me something significant l can do with bitcoin that l can't do with anything else, and then maybe l might care.

16. 4north1side2

4north1side2 Well-Known Member

No doubt, if theirs a will, theirs a way. Obviously your super intelligent and know how to channel it.

17. The Dark King

I don't sell bitcoin. I don't solicit people, they come to me much like they do any trader. Stop watching so many movies it makes you look like an absolute childish fool. You have no interest in this your only interest us to troll on any topic I'm involved in. You're not fooling a soul. You're a sad old woman filled with so much bitterness you're choking on it.
    Samson obliterated your bs paypal is better and doesn't charge much so now your salty as usual. Keep shining chUmp. .. i mean champ.

18. The Dark King

Why are you fighting me as if I created this thread to convince you to use or purchase bitcoin. Don't use it. Keep busting your ass for mininum wage and stayed strapped in the hood. It's all good.

19. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Can any one one feel the love between bliss and tdk...

be sure to invite me to the wedding you two

20. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Lol yeaaaaaa...doesn't sound like hate at all. :rolleyes:

Lol she's just jealy cause he's mine :D