Lukewarm Attraction

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by LA, May 28, 2015.

1. K

K Well-Known Member

ah ok - I get it.

2. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be honest; I don't care how attracted to you I am in the beginning, around the 8 month mark, I'm sick of having sex with you. Period. You stop being that hot chick I'm banging and turn into just another chick I'm banging.

But, if all those other qualities are there, then even when the attraction ebbs, I'm still going to be around and work at bringing it back. Because, if you're open to it and truly work at it, you can fall in lust all over again.

Our culture places way too much emphasis on "that spark" when it comes to long lasting relationships. Besides, most of the girls who are fine in your 20's lose it by the time they get to middle age anyway. So, you're far better off having someone who is perfect in every other way.

3. LA

LA Well-Known Member

To be clear, it's not that I wasn't attracted to her, I just never felt "head over heels" about her but I really liked her a lot. I do find her attractive, I just thought if I were to see someone as "the one", she would be someone that gives me "butterflies in my stomach" at some point. That being said, she's an amazing person, we have a lot in common and we get along very well. I enjoyed the intimate moments we had behind closed doors and in public.

Her immediate goals (5 year plan) were settling down and finding a husband while mine were simply dating and continuing school so that I can establish a solid career. She already has her career in full swing with 2 degrees to support it.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Teacher?

5. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Nurse practitioner.

6. The Dark King

Damn good job with a good future.
    When you're over thirty with a woman who gives you "butterflies" I just hope she can pull her own weight fam because even if you can afford it it's nice to have a,partner who can hold you down. Not trying to sway you jus keep that in mind

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Scale of 1-10

Where is she?

8. LA

LA Well-Known Member

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Tuff call fam. If she was a 7-7.5, I would say you should reconsider, but a 6 is a tough call.

I think you made the right choice considering that you live in Cali. Plenty of nice looking women out there.

Even 6.5 is a tough call

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Based on the situation I think a 6.5 would be acceptable, but not if you live in Cali, Florida, Georgia or Newyork. It's just too many hot women out there.

11. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

No doubt it wasn't easy, but I think you did the right thing. As painful as it was for her to hear (and for you to do), your honesty was the best thing for her (and for you). It's understandable that friendship isn't something she's open to when her feelings for you go much deeper than that. All you can do is respect her feelings about it and keep your distance.

I think it's always best to listen to your gut and be honest with yourself. Even when it isn't telling you what you want to hear, it is telling you what you need to hear. With all of the doubts and questions that kept popping up for you, evidently your instincts were telling you that she wasn't the one for you, which also means you weren't the one for her. To continue the relationship would've been unfair to both of you.

If that level of attraction wasn't there for you, it most likely never would've been. Like KinCA said, it can't be forced. Contrary to what some may think, it's not simply about looks, lust, looking for perfection, or some other shallow reasoning; ultimate attraction and intimacy go much deeper than those things. Besides, if the shallow crap was what you were looking for or if there was no attraction at all, you wouldn't have given the relationship a chance in the first place. When it comes right down to it though, 'lukewarm' is something no one should ever settle for.

If at some point in the future you find yourself feeling nostalgic and looking back on it, don't view your decision with regret. You have to remember that you were doing what was best for both of you at the time. :freehug:

12. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Excellent Post

13. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Agreed.

Sometimes the best thing you can do for yourself is be 100% honest with yourself and often being honest is the hardest thing to do.

It's easier to save hurt feelings and maintain a friendship. Eventually those saved feelings would turn into resentment.

Good for you, LA.

Hopefully in time you and your friend will be able to salvage your friendship. It will be some time as I'm sure she's very hurt since her feelings were much deeper. If your connection was genuine, eventually you will be able to learn how to be friends. Maybe, maybe not...

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

telling someone its over is tuff....its not pretty..

15. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

I agree. It sounds like she's ready for more. If he is not ready or if he's not sure she's the right person for him... I'd say cut the loses (for both), and move on. She could be missing out on someone who is ready to move forward.

I was recently prepared to do the same. My g/f had long told me that she'd marry me tomorrow, but it's not at all a requirement for her to be happy. We're both divorced, but mine was final recently. I thought that maybe she was ready to be married again, and I'd need to let her go if that was the case.

16. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear. I absolutely believe females and males can be friends, but you may be right in the case of you two. It's sad, but you may have to let her go totally.

17. LA

LA Well-Known Member

You're right, in that my mind was on the fence leaning towards ending things. I actually brought up some of my feelings a few days before it all ended. The sentiments weren't that of a complete break-up, just that I feel that maybe we as a couple have different 5 year goals right now. This was said while hanging out at a downtown rooftop bar. While she did get a bit teary eye-d, it didn't ruin the night and everything was fine--even the next day.

It was 2 days (Sunday) after that conversation that we had at the bar when I came over to her place to hang out with her again and sometime into that night she brought up the convo we had Friday night. That was when I had to tell her my true feelings and at that point she decided we should no longer continue seeing each other. I guess you could say it was mutual since I agreed she deserved better and someone who is "ready".

Lastly, yes, I do want to contact her. I have been second guessing myself. I just want to see her one more time. I figured I should wait at least a month or so before I initiate any form of contact but after reading what everyone is saying, it seems as though I should completely stop trying to talk to her in every way. Kind of hard to process that thought, really. I guess that's the best thing to do. It really sucks taking that route.

18. The Dark King

Lol what does ready even mean?

19. LA

LA Well-Known Member

Ready and open to the idea of being married within the next few years. "Settle down." That's not even something that's on my radar right now.

20. The Dark King

I hear you but to me if its the right person for you all that other shit is fluff. I don't understand why people cling so heavily to this marriage bs. Signing papers and having a party doesn't mean a person loves you and has your back.
    Life ain't no dress rehearsal, its filled with a ton of ups and downs and its sad that when people talk about being ready that's not what they're talking about