Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Amazon.com
    Thanks for your order!
    We'll send you an e-mail confirmation shortly.

2. alli

alli New Member

Not counting textbooks and other books I read for school?

Raising Cain: Protecting the Emotional Life of Boys
    Toxic Faith, Liberal Cure (a reread)
    Preparing Him For The Other Woman

3. alli

alli New Member

Ugh! Yep, that about sums it up. Some parts of that book (especially the parts about black women) made me feel sick to my stomach. :(

4. Persephone

Persephone New Member

Night Watch by Sarah Waters
    Frued A to Z by someone I can't remember right off hand
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling (I just re read the whole series. :D :D :D )

5. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Something a happily married woman is likey to pull from the shelf? The title must be deceiving.

6. Brittney

Brittney Well-Known Member

Hmm, where do I start? It just makes sense to me. It agrees with a lot of opinions, views, and beliefs I already hold. The spiritual aspect of it. The absence of dogma. I love how it "agrees with me" that everyone has the freedom to find their own spiritual path and no one has the right to tell them they're wrong for what resonates in them or that they will be punished in the worst of ways for being true to themselves because it's not acceptable to others. I like that there's also a feminine duality to a male deity. I think that makes a lot of sense. Like yin and yang. You can't have one without the other. People are good and bad, the world is positive and negative, dark and light, hot and cold, nurturing and penalizing, ugly and beautiful, etc, and because THEY created us and the world, wouldn't it make sense? I mean, when you create something, like a piece of art, don't you put some of yourself into it?? Don't you have a lot of the same genes/qualities as your mother and father who created you? Absolutely, so why shouldn't the same go for our Creator, right? Which takes me to how it says that we all have divinity in us, that we are all divine and capable of making miracles, magic, and "use" the energy of the universe and nature to work for us and in our favor. We weren't put here just to die or suffer and not do anything about it ourselves and not use the power inside of us from the Lord and Lady (mother and father/God and Goddess) who created us and the the universe. And that is the way to obtain a closer relationship to the divine - through magic, rituals, divination, etc. And it makes sense to me. I also like how it doesn't bullshit around and try to say that the deities/deity are all either good, merciful, forgiving, and loving OR the opposite to strike fear in you so that you will "obey" and act like slaves to them. If "They" wanted us to be slaves, they wouldn't have given us free will. I like how it says that the deities have good AND "bad" aspects, just like humans do. That makes sense to me, because "they" created us, like I already said. Wicca also accepts that God/Goddess/Higher Power/Creator/Supreme Being has many facets and faces and ways of being. That makes sense to me because no one interprets the same thing the same way as someone else does. Karma is a big thing too in Wicca. It's easier for me to believe in something like karma, than a hell ruled by the devil. And that gives Wiccans the reason to do good and harm none instead of fearing eternal damnation in a hell. I think we make our own hells. I don't believe in a devil. I believe in polarities and that polarity exists in every living organism and and even in the divine. But I don't believe it's caused by a whole separate being like a devil. It's there because you have to have balance. Look around and you'll see it! Even animals and nature can be seen as evil. Look, even water can be seen as evil:

This is one of the many examples of how earlier forms of Christianity tried to demonize anything not Christian by taking something and pointing out the negative sides only.
    Using that mentality, I can make anything sound evil. I'm thinking of a chemical, Di-Hydrogen Monoxide.
    This chemical can...
    * Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
    * Prolonged exposure to solid DHMO causes severe tissue damage.
    * Excessive ingestion produces a number of unpleasant though not typically life-threatening side-effects.
    * DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
    * Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
    * Contributes to soil erosion.
    * Leads to corrosion and oxidation of many metals.
    * Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
    * Exposure decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes.
    * Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
    * Given to vicious dogs involved in recent deadly attacks.
    * Often associated with killer cyclones in the U.S. Midwest and elsewhere, and in hurricanes including deadly storms in Florida, New Orleans and other areas of the southeastern U.S.
    * Thermal variations in DHMO are a suspected contributor to the El Nino weather effect.

I could go on, but the short of it...it's water and everything I said is true. But said in such a way as to invoke fear. This is the point of the DHMo_Org website is trying to make.

Anyway, I also read something interesting about the Burning Times http://davensjournal.com (you'll have to click on "Site Map" on the left, then scroll down to "Miscellaneous Information" and then click "The Burning Times") and that makes more sense to me than killing a bunch of witches because they were "evil". Of course there are very many different types of Wiccans, Witches, and Pagans just as there are many different kinds of people. Some are good some are bad, some are a mix of both. Some are real, some are fake. Some are extreme and some aren't. Just like followers of any other religion. Then there's also people who just do spells and stuff without the spiritual aspects. For most Wiccans, spells are really a last resort. And just as there is magic without the spiritual aspect, there's also the spiritual aspect without magic, then there's also a mix for some and I think most people on this path.

Anyway, so these are some of my whys (and some babbling because I have a habit of that) and there's still so many more reasons too and I still find more every day. :)

Sorry so long.

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  7. LaydeezmanCris

LaydeezmanCris New Member

Robert Baer - The Devil We Know: Dealing with the New Iranian Superpower

Frederik Pohl - Gateway

Chinua Achebe - Anthills of the Savannah

Barbara Kingsolver - The Poisonwood Bible

Mohammed Sule - The Delinquent

8. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

i think it must be about raising young men?

9. Sin Mari

Sin Mari New Member

Witches Abroad by Terry Pratchett

Nation by Terry Pratchett (my favourite author)

Odd Hours
    by Dean Koontz

10. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

No, thanks for answering my question.

11. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

Liberty and Tyranny by Mark R Levin
    The March by E.L. Doctorow
    Guilty by Ann Coulter

12. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Tuckerreed are you a member of the Conservative Book Club?

13. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

Where's Colin Powell?:confused::yawinkle:

14. Brittney

Brittney Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks for asking. I enjoyed answering it. :)

I don't get it...:smt017

15. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I really like the Odd Thomas series by Koontz, have not read them all though, I ordered the new Koontz (Your Heart Belongs To me) well it was a bit crap so don't bother, But! (The Taking) is really good, really good. :D

16. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano Moderator

[​IMG]

It's all in fun though.:smt023

17. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

I haven't read any Dean Koontz in years!! Not since his Phantoms or Watchers days....

18. hntr18

hntr18 Well-Known Member

Im in the process of reading these 4:

1. [​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

4. [​IMG]

19. LA

LA Well-Known Member

:neutral:

20. HerkFCC

HerkFCC New Member