Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. Alinoa

Alinoa New Member

Do I need to post pictures? I'm on my phone and its really hard just to get it to type.

The story of O

The claiming of sleeping beauty.

50 shades of stfu already.

The story of O was interesting.
    The Ann Rice book was beyond amazing

The Ghey book?
    Well, it's, uh, Ghey.
    But now I can hate it properly like I should and not vicariously

2. arbncdt1

arbncdt1 Member

LT COL Blaber is a great commander and his book is very good.
    It is never a good day to die in the Stan and Babylon!!!!

3. Unique4ever

Unique4ever Well-Known Member

Just finished reading this:

[​IMG]

Damn I hate books that make me cry :(
    Still one of the best books I read in a while.

4. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

I concur!

5. arbncdt1

arbncdt1 Member

Shibumi by Trevanian. I would give this book three stars, out of five stars.

Kosher Sex by Rabbi Shumley Botech. I would give this book five stars, out of five stars. My wife would give this book five, out of five stars.

She Comes First by Ian Kerner. I would give this book five stars, out of five stars. My wife would give this book five, out of five stars. ;):D

In Hostile Territory by Gerald Westerby. I would give this four and a half stars, out of five stars.

6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

All excellent reads from my POV:

[​IMG]

Book one of a new series that combines the steam punk & murder mystery genre with elements of Fae/Elven mythology. Detective Inspectors Janus Mikani & Celeste Ritsuko are assigned to solve the murder of an heiress of one of the prominent ruling House Clans of the city of Dorstaad (the London of this alternate world). Despite being the top investigators of Dorstaad’s Criminal Investigation Division their individual uniqueness plays against them within the ranks of the force: Mikani is a nonconformist to procedure as well as being of Ferisher (what the Fae are known by in this series) descent secretly gifted with extraordinary sixth senses that have help him to become the detective he is and Ritsuko despite being the most analytical & proficient investigator in the whole division she is also it’s only female inspector, a position many in the male dominated C.I.D. & governing hierarchy officials see as something that women are not qualified to do. (Steampunk = Sci-Fi /steam tech twist to Victorian Age style/sensibilities for those not in the know) But when their investigation begins to point towards a possible serial killer targeting members of the ruling clans and using forgotten Ferisher ritual magic, the pressure to solve the murder & maintain their professional reputations is increased on multiple levels as the end result of their failing to catch the killer could lead to dire consequences for the entire city of Dorstaad.

[​IMG]

Continuing the Secret History Saga centering around one Edward “Eddie” Drood, a member of the secret & powerful Drood Family who are the secret protectors of humanity against the various hidden threats that have and continue to arise & seek to destroy or conquer the human race since before recorded history. After taking a much need sabbatical from dealing with a number of back to back threats to the Drood Family & humanity as a whole, Eddie along with his lover, Molly Metcalf, one of three powerful and notorious sisters known as “The Wild Witches” return to the secret Drood Family base of operations and ancestral home, Drood Hall, only to find what was all was thought to be impossible: Drood Hall destroyed reduced to shattered rubble. After investigating the wreckage of the hall to find some clue as to how & who was responsible for its destruction, Eddie & Molly discover that it is not the actual Drood Hall but rather an alternate version of Drood Hall from an alternate reality. Now Eddie & Molly must find who on the short list of extremely powerful individuals/organizations capable of banishing the Droods was responsible for displacing Drood Hall and if Clan Drood is still alive, return them to their proper reality.

[​IMG]

Book three of the “Peter Grant Adventures” centering on Peter Grant, a young biracial London police constable who finds himself becoming the subordinate investigator & sorcerer’s apprentice to the mysterious Detective Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the last known officially active sorcerer in England from a once thriving & clandestine community of practioners (the official term for magic users in this series) that once existed semi globally prior to World War II with the majority either dying or becoming mentally/emotionally scarred after being pressed into service for one or the other side in the war due to their magical abilities, leading to the reduced population & activities of individuals with an affinity for magic. Grant is chosen to become Nightingale’s apprentice in the hopes of reviving & eventually restoring the practioners’ ranks after Grant receives details about an unusual murder from a witness who turns out to be the ghost of a previous victim of the killer (which is discovered to be a malevolent shape shifting spirit entity), revealing Grant’s previously unknown affinity to things supernatural and his potential to become a practioner. Grant & Nightingale are responsible for investigating any & all crimes that may have any connections to magic on any level or London’s secret preternatural community that is known to be in existence to certain high ranking police and London government officials and kept secret from the general public for their own safety & that of the more benevolent residents of this hidden world.

7. Blacktiger2005

Blacktiger2005 Well-Known Member

"Think Big: Unleasing Your Potential for Excellance" By Ben Carson, M.D

"Gifted Hands: The Ben Carson Story" by Ben Carson, M.D.

"America the Beautiful: Rediscovering What Made This Nation Great" by Ben Carson, M.D.

8. Beckett

Beckett New Member

The wonder of books!

My books are:

That's Not What I Meant: How conversational style makes or breaks your relations with others, by Deborah Tannen

The Definitive Book of Body Language, by Allan and Barbara Pease

The Well-Fed Writer, by Peter Bowerman

9. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Provocative title, care to explain?

10. Beckett

Beckett New Member

Room to grow

It is a book by Peter Bowerman, a freelance writer and speaker, giving a leg up to aspiring/commercial writers in a easier to read, but detailed format. I think it is a great book for those who want to write for income, but also for the more experienced journalists. We become stale over time unless we refresh and polish our skills. No matter how good we are. ;)
    It's a great book whether one is curious, just starting out, or seeking to freshen up.

http://www.wellfedwriter.com/blog/

11. Beckett

Beckett New Member

Show some love

No doubt she does. I truly believe that should be on every man's night table.

Ian Kerner also wrote, "He Comes Next: the thinking woman's guide to pleasuring a man".

Between Ian Kerner's books, and Steve Harvey's "Act Like a Lady-Think Like a Man" and one of my favorites, "Straight Talk, No Chaser", with some personal intention and effort added liberally, it is certainly a good recipe for stronger and healthier relationships.

yum

12. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Are you a writer?

13. Beckett

Beckett New Member

Scribbles

I've done some freelance, and have a personal project in progress. :|

14. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

That's really cool. Hope you share your stuff sometime

15. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I couldn't get into the story at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you want a synopsis, that's what Google is for.

16. FG

FG Well-Known Member

OK found it.

Read 'Enders Game' a while ago, by Orson Scott Card. Fantastic novel. Just going to the silver screen.
    The second one I read just before knowing it would be a movie. The last one is in my last post in here.

Its fantastic, the story grows and develops with you. Its far better as you go, compared to the beginning. Ender's charchter is really building before your eyes. Cant wait to see the movie ( as with the last book i read before knowing it would become a movie, see my last post).

I am one quarter into 'Speaker for the Dead' which is in the sequel. I have downloaded all in the series.

In terms of the same author, pick up 'The Lost Gate' and 'The Gate Thief'. Can not wait for the next book.

17. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Do you think screenplays and films do the story justice? Good movies?

18. FG

FG Well-Known Member

Don't know, neither is in the movies yet.

Divergent is slated for 2014 and Ender's Game premiere is next month.

I figure both would be hard to make into an screen play though so I figure there will be some dissapointment. But isn't that usually the case between books and movies?

19. Mighty Quinn

Mighty Quinn New Member

Further proof of my loserdome

[​IMG]

Kurzweil was a pleasant read. He treats the subject of neocortical hierarchy like its a baby teething for the first time. He follows von Neumann's early insight, that a brain and computer are exactly equivalent, only he emphasizes a computer with the "right" software. He believes having the right neocortical algorithms will enable ever more accurate simulations of human intelligence. I have to admit he makes a solid case for strong A.I. Just when you thought there was no way science would emulate the brain, down to the fine analogue functions of neural tissue, they do it with things like 'neuromorphic" chips. Exhilarating read.

[​IMG]

I tried. Really, I did, but the writing was just too fluffy for me.

[​IMG]
    The best book I've read in a while. It really caught me up to speed with all the current debates surrounding the social sciences. I was giddy to find 'the altruists' are no longer in vogue. I made up the name, and it isn't fair, because everyone was convinced only reciprocal altruism could explain how human society hangs together. Prof. Wilson looks for the roots of hominid social structure in the eusocial world of the insects. And I think he found it.

20. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

:smt023

[​IMG]

[​IMG]