Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Lots of controversy when that one came out.

2. HerkFCC

HerkFCC New Member

Absolutely. Still generates spirited discussion in some inner circles.

3. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Its on my shelf, but I never finished it. I felt like I got the point after the first 10% of the book and it became very boring to me.

4. HerkFCC

HerkFCC New Member

HA!!

I thought I was the only one who couldn't finish it!! ..LOL

5. Brittney

Brittney Well-Known Member

:smt042 I should have known!!

6. HerkFCC

HerkFCC New Member

Close enuf!!

7. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

She spent years researching that one. I remember seeing her on various news shows talking about it going way back. Probably very thorough.

8. MistressB

MistressB New Member

When Will There be Good News - Kate Atkinson
    On Chesil Beach - Ian McEwan

Now reading: The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat - Oliver Sacks
    and for fun: Chart Throb - Ben Elton

9. JordanC

JordanC Well-Known Member

1. A Nation of Wimps by Hara Marano
    2. Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blondes, bodies behavior brains and the science behind sex love and attraction by J Pincott
    3. TheStory of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski

10. LA

LA Well-Known Member

This sounds like a good book.

11. JordanC

It really was. I read it twice and learned alot. There is even one section on penis size and how it's more closely related to height than race. A question that keeps coming up here. :cool: The title really is misleading but they do answer the question of the title and the answer is yes they do.

12. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

Yes with the national review, i am.

13. tuckerreed

tuckerreed New Member

yes i think the OP was what were the last 3 books you have read, not what books have others read that you do not like, lol

14. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Or at least the author does, or maybe she is blonde.

15. JordanC

She's not:

[​IMG]

There are many more subjects besides haircolor in the book. ;) That is why I said the title is misleading. Here is one online synopsis:

Covering the areas of bodies, brains, and behavior, this eye-opening guide reveals the genetic, hormonal, and psychological secrets behind what makes us tick sexually. For example, do you know why a man’s body chemistry and behavior change when he’s in a committed relationship? And why, when he becomes a daddy, his testosterone level seems to plummet? And did you know…

• When a couple first fall in love, their brains are indistinguishable from those of the clinically insane
    • You can tell a lot about a person’s sexual chemistry just by looking at his or her hands
    • Your genes influence whose body odors you prefer
    • Being around breast-feeding women may increase a woman's sex drive

The part about the newly in love brain being similar to clinically insane I found interesting. They did study on MRI's of both brains in love/insane and so I guess that euphoric feeling when in a new relationship isn't all in our head.

16. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

This is clearly a good read Jordan. Although I cannot say I agree with this little factoid:
    " And why, when he becomes a daddy, his testosterone level seems to plummet? "

I don't know much about the author, but whenever I read a book like this I always wonder what their own frame of reference is, and what their motivation for writing the book was. I wonder if she has been married or has had successful relationships, has children, has a healthy sex life, etc, etc.

Maybe I will read it.

17. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

I got this book through the conservative book club back in the early 90s. It is now out of print, but I think it may have inspired Levin:

Liberty or Equality: The Challenge of Our Times by Erik Ritter von Kuehnelt-Leddihn

18. alli

alli New Member

Ha! No, it's about what you can do as a mother to prepare your son for his future wife.

19. Sir Nose

Sir Nose New Member

Oh, that other woman.

20. vanilla2chai

vanilla2chai New Member

Three Cups of Tea - Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
    The Yacoubian Building- Alaa Al Aswany
    The Audacity of Hope- We all know who

BTW- I have a well thumbed copy of Tickle His Pickle

and I too LOVE LOVE LOVE Janet Evanovich! I love Stephanie Plum and her grandma!