Name the last three books you have read...

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Sir Nose, May 12, 2009.

1. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

Apparently Susan Wiggs is a moron. lol I'm not familiar wither her writing style since I'm not really into romance novels, but if she's praising Patricia Kay, I wouldn't be surprised if their styles are similar.

I'm glad you noticed it. It's been a while since I've paid any attention to any of my Kindle notices, but I grabbed a copy right after I saw your post.

2. Tamstrong

That reminds me, a couple of days after I ordered it they sent me a $5 credit toward any of the Dresden Files books, but I've already bought them all. Lol

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

If it doesn't have an expiration on it just save for when the next full novel comes out. I would think maybe next year? Butcher got the last two out back to back after the years long hiatus & now this (surprise) novella, so hopefully sooner rather than later.

4. Tamstrong

Unfortunately it came with a 7 day expiration. I hope it is sooner this time around.

5. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good reads, all three.

6. fly girl

fly girl Well-Known Member

The Universal Tone by Carlos Santana, The Great Alone, and Braiding Sweetgrass.

7. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

Pretty enjoyable read. It's the first book of a series, and I like it well enough I'll be reading the rest.

[​IMG]

I liked it. It's not a horror novel, but it's still weird, creepy, and entertaining. A little too slow in the pacing here and there, but I still enjoyed it.

[​IMG]

I've had this one a while, but I was too busy being mad at the shithead author for not taking care of business and finishing the last two GOT books to read it. I'd kind of forgotten how much I enjoyed Martin's writing, and I'm glad I finally read it. I'm still mad at him though.

8. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This series was meh. I usually like Ron Ripley's work, but evidently the dude he wrote this with did more of the writing than RR did. The idea had potential, but the execution was weak and and the writing was dull. There were also too many plot holes. When it looked like they were setting up for some later conflict with various antagonists, nothing came of them. It's like they forgot the characters even existed and did nothing with them. A disappointing waste of potential.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Although the protagonist was annoying and silly in many respects and the author made some editing mistakes that irked me, I really enjoyed this series. The story has a good flow that kept me engaged, and I read the whole thing this weekend.

9. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

I got to admire your discipline @Tamstrong I read for a while then take 3 weeks off (ok maybe 4 weeks). I read the benefits of reading, & I'm still not committed. I got to change that since I'm working on going back to college.

10. Tamstrong

I read because I enjoy it, and it helps keep me sane-ish. If I had more discipline, I wouldn't be reading quite as much as I do. lol It does help to be more disciplined when it comes to less enjoyable school reading, but it helps if you enjoy learning. If I had more discipline, I'd be doing more writing than reading. As long as you're reading at a frequency you enjoy, it's all good.

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So did all 3 books in the first series you read actually all have that same cover art? If so, that should have been a red flag about the series. They didn't even bother to go with some sort of series cover theme/design for each book (like the Casey Odell books) but lazily just recycled the same art. SMDH.

12. Tamstrong

Yes they did. The only draw for me was Ron Ripley supposedly being one of the writers. Like the lazy cover art, there wasn't much thought or effort put into the story either.

13. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

It was alright. It wasn't as surprising or full of plot twists that some of the reviews made it out to be, but it wasn't bad.

The Rose That Grew From Concrete
    [​IMG]

As a big fan of poetry, I loved this one.

[​IMG]

Not really the type of book I'm typically into, but it was okay. Corny but okay. I was stuck someplace with no phone signal, I was bored, and the book was free. Some of the author's mistakes were a bit annoying, especially when she used the wrong word for something. A couple of examples that stuck in my head are shuttered instead of shuddered and sweat instead of sweet. lol Definitely not an author I'd be interested in keeping up with.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. CAkicker

CAkicker Well-Known Member

No Horror books? Are you feeling ok Tam? Do you have a fever? :p

15. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Refresher read for a trio of books I first read over a decade ago.

[​IMG]

As an evil pair of vampire lords and a deadly lady invade Earth, Harry Keogh, the Necroscope, is dead, and a new, untried Necroscope must overcome conflicting loyalties to lead E-Branch against the vampires.

[​IMG]

Jake Cutter is reluctantly learning how to be a Necroscope--how to use the Mobius continuum to travel instantaneously from place to place, how to talk to the dead--but dead humans don't like him much. It seems Jake's got a hitchhiker named Korath. Since Korath holds the key to the Mobius equations, Jake can't just kick him out . . . though he's certainly trying.

Jake's not sure he really wants to be a member of E-Branch, the supersecret ESP-powered organization that's dedicated to eradicating the vampire infestation of Earth. To the freewheeling, passionate Jake, the E-Branchers seem a little stuffy and hidebound--except for the lovely Liz, whom Jake wants to get to know better, body and mind. But Liz is a telepath, and if Jake's not careful, she'll find out about Korath. And that will likely be the end of Jake Cutter.

In Australia, Jake helped E-Branch destroy the aerie of the mind-master , Nephtam Malinari, one of a trio of Great Vampires who came to Earth from the vampire world. Malinari escaped and went to ground with the hideously beautiful Lady Vavara. Vavara has taken over a holy monastary on a beautiful Greek island and turned the nuns into most unholy creature with fearsome appetites for all things carnal.

Jake wants revenge against the Italian mobsters who killed the woman he loved and nearly killed him. As far as he's concerned, E-Branch can search for Malinari, Vavara, and the metamorphic Lord Szwart without him until he's satisfied his own bloodlust. But it seems vampire hunting is truly Jake's job now--the men he's trying to kill aren't men at all, but vampire spawn, hidden for two generations in human guise! To defeat them, Jake will need every weapon in a Necroscope's arsenal, including the power to all the unsleeping dead out of their moldering graves.

[​IMG]

The packed cruise ship is a terrific nesting ground for a Lord and Lady of the Wamphyri on the run from E-Branch and the new Necroscope, Jake Cutter. By the time the ship is reported missing, the few beings still living on board will no longer be human . . . and the Wamphyri will be long fled to their next conquest.

Korath, the vampire who lurks in Jake Cutter's mind, is determined to gain control of Jake's life, and Jake is equally determined not to let him have it. But to win this struggle Jake must confide in Ben Trask-and Trask, the head of E-Branch, is likely to want Jake dead the minute he learns of Jake's intrusive passenger!

The spore garden planted under London by the third Wamphyri, Lord Swartz, is bearing bitter fruit indeed as a mysterious sleeping sickness-with a vampiric taint-slowly spreads among the population of Great Britain.

E-Branch action teams have more on their plates than they can handle. They must locate terrorists who threaten the world with nuclear homicide; permanently close the Gate between the Wamphyri world and Earth; analyze the spore plague; and locate and destroy the three Wamphyri.

Even the powers of Harry Keogh, the original Necroscope, summoned from the Great Beyond via the combined powers of E-Branch's strongest agents, may not be enough to defeat the monsters who have brought Earth to the brink of total destruction.

The official end of Brian Lumley's long running Necroscope/Vamiphri series outside of occasional Lost Tales novellas & Necroscope : The Touch (which features a different Necroscope battling a non vampiric but equally horrific alien threat).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
  16. fly girl

fly girl Well-Known Member

Been a while since I waited on a new release, but Cormac McCarthy is releasing 2 new books Tuesday. One is titled The Passenger and has an aviation element. Can't wait. New releases usually hit 12:01 Tuesdays.

Side note, I was sitting in a coffee shop outside Santa Fe NM reading on my Kindle when somebody stopped in front of me, leaned over and whispered, "is that one of my books?" to which I answered, "nope, but it will be next". Notoriously stand offish man, no idea why I got so lucky. Total fan girl vapors.

I sat beside Steven King on an airplane about 30 years ago, had no idea who he was. Knew he was someone because they FA asked him if he preferred she not allow people in FC to speak to him. Later on I was in a bookstore that had a huge poster of him and it hit me.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  17. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

Okay

[​IMG]

Good

[​IMG]

Good

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Joe Hill as in Stephen King's son I presume?

19. Tamstrong

Yep.

20. Tamstrong

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I enjoyed them all.