New Marvel Movie (Captain Marvel)

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Vandal, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Vandal

Vandal New Member

I will at least wait until the trailers come out before I write it off.

How's this for a twist?: They are going to make the Storm family a black family that adopted a white girl (Susan). So Johnny (Michael B. Jordan's character) will NOT be the adopted one. Reg E Cathy (who was also on the Wire) will be playing Dr. Storm - who is Johnny's dad.

The producers could have REALLY broken the mold and made Susan Storm's character black too, but I suspect that they feared it would be perceived as a 'black' movie at that point. The rule: can't have more than 2 black major characters in a movie or it becomes a 'black' movie. And 2 of 4 is certainly too much for them.

My issue is not that they change the race of the character (the original material was uber-white so introducing some diversity is good) but that they turn around and pretend that race does not exist. I'm not saying that they have to introduce full on racism into the plot or be in your face, but it should be subtle things to give the character a more 'real' 3 dimensional feeling. He shouldn't be some "blank slate" character that happens to be black. (although I suppose that's better than having the black character act like some hip hop DJ who breakdances while fighting and rhymes his lines)

Seems that the Fantastic Four has a chance to break this mold. But if they go the entire film without even mentioning that Susan was adopted by a black family and that they went through some type of hardship (just mention it...don't have to go into depth) that gave her different perspective on life or something similar then it will take me out of the movie.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  2. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

So instead of talking about how sweet the FF movie is going to be, we're talking about how they'll explain how Johnny and Sue are brother and sister despite being different races

Pass

3. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

I wonder how big of a nerdiverse freakout on multiple levels it would cause if Marvel Studios said "Fuck it. Let Sony Studios keep the Peter Parker Spider-Man. We're introducing Miles Morales as the official Spider-Man for the Marvel Cinematic Universe........

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

It would be really dope if they did but funny enough as accepting as we've become about homosexuality no one wants to see gay love scenes. Its not representative of most. Even though race is a tough one at least its a man and a woman.

5. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Well I'd say it went well for a black nick fury

Probably because Samuel Jackson has a huge fan base (including me) that don't give a fuck because it's sam fucking Jackson and we love to see him in movies

With that said, nick fury was more of a side role. Changing the big screen color of a main like spidey may trigger some demons, as white males realize they're losing their grip

6. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

Wait..What??? When did Miles Morales become gay???

7. The Dark King

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

That's the thing however, Miles Morales' Spider-Man isn't a side character. He is Spider-Man in the Ultimate Universe. No reason they can't make him the Spider-Man of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They have already given the green light for alternate versions of characters being in movies at the same time with Quicksilver. Let white dudes lose their minds. They are still going to pay money to go see the movie even if it's just so they can bitch about how much they wish it was Peter Parker.

9. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

No, he's not gay. They were throwing that out at the time as a "they are just doing it for diversity argument" on why they thought at the time it was a bad idea. The character has gone on to become just as, if not more popular than the classic Peter Parker Spider-Man because he captures a lot of the elements that made the teenaged Peter Parker relatable but has since lost over time now that he is effectively an adult.

10. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Really

I searched and know for a fact that heimdall and perry white sparked serious debate

Yet Thor and superman still made a killing

Lol

But they weren't main attractions, so I dunno

:shock:

11. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

A lot of the white dudes that were bitching when they first killed off the Ultimate version of Peter Parker and introduced Miles Morales as Spider-Man have since gone on to embrace the character, so I don't think it would cause that big of a stir if they did. Will there still be angry white male fans upset & bitching non stop about it? Of course, but they are the ones that will bitch about any white character becoming a different race regardless. They are also the same ones who have no problems when the reverse is in effect when white people are cast as non white characters.

12. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Ain't that some shit.........

The trick tho is that they don't limit that type of casting to fiction

Historical figures that are/were believed to be anything but lily white, suddenly are in movies and everyone's patting themselves on the back

How does that work?

:shock:

13. The Dark King

Because some people can only relate to a character if they resemble them. Its some weird shit

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

That White Privilege is a muthafukka isn't?

15. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I recall the story of Bones Hook. He was a cowboy who knew how to wrestle a steer to the ground and other cattle handling techniques. There was a movie in the early 1950's featuring him in a few scenes. However, Bones Hook was a black man. The actor who played him was a white man. Even famed western author Louis L'mour acknowledged the fact that Hook was black. It is all about getting white people to go to the movies, so a little alteration in facts was rampant back then.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014