Observations: Tupac. NAS. ... & the best from the Rest

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Bliss, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Brittney

Brittney Well-Known Member

2. Tamstrong

Tamstrong Administrator Staff Member

3. mama

mama Well-Known Member

Great thread.

4. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

^ ^ ^ ^ Agree. Fab quotes everywhere!

[​IMG]
    "Where they sell you grease in a box and hope that you die quicker/
    And if you old enough to walk to the store you can buy liquor/"

- Masta Ace

5. Black DeNiro

Black DeNiro Well-Known Member

6. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Very deep and positve thoughts expressed by Nas ~

[HDYT]Hz9vh-fnsFY[/HDYT]

7. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

Not sure if that's really right Beasty. Maybe if African American rappers are rapping about education, inventions made by Africans, technology or something else then it probably would be true. Would any rapper really rap about that though?

8. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

There are rappers who actually do rap about positive things. Always have been since the beginning of hip hop. But as usual you have bought into all the negative about anything regarding African Americans......

9. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

No I haven't - I rarely listen to rap and rap music isn't broadcasted on our college radio station.

10. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

So how & why did you feel that the quote from a rapper who is known as one of the more conscious/positive rappers of the hip hop genre was not "really right" if you don't listen to or have ever listen to any of the older conscious rappers?

11. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

All I remember about rap was from 10 - 15 years ago, some music videos that were on BET that were uncensored, Bone Crusher's songs, and some of Ludacris's old albums from 2000 or even 1999. I don't think BET really glorified any "positive" rap at all.

Since then - I haven't listened to rap since. The TV has either been on the news or on a sports channel daily.

12. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

BET,commercial radio or any forms of current "popular" media do not accurately represent black people or any of the music associated with black people. If that is where you have been looking for your "view" of black people......:rolleyes::smt018

13. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I view it as a hit or a miss. I can't view every single black person I see positively and/or I don't have a good experience with every single person who looks like me. I think this could apply to anyone of any race really.

And how broadly does BET represent black people? If you drove into a low-income area (West Baltimore City for example) populated by minorities, what would kind of music would you expect from the households in the area?

14. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

You tell me. I don't live in West Baltimore. What applies in West Baltimore does not mean it applies to every low income area in America. Both positive or negative. Stereotype much do you?

15. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I'm not stereotyping Ra. Nationally, our median incomes are lower.

[​IMG]

Can you explain this Ra, because no one can figure this out?

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Than wasn't his point Mikey. Just open your eyes for a moment and LISTEN!

Just....listen.

(and by 'his' I mean Ra AND KRS-1)

17. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

You rely too much on stats & data that other people create. And people manipulate stats for various reasons. Everyone with any common sense knows there are issues in the black community. What do does stats prove? How do they fix the problems? And don't get caught up turning this into a discussion thread. It wasn't meant to be one. There is a Black vs Black Thread to discuss issues about the black community. Thank You.

18. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

You're welcome, I'll go into that thread. I'll post up some quotes of my own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

20. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

If one is better than before, a true quote by itself...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2013