Officer body slams high school student

Discussion in 'In the News' started by z, Oct 27, 2015.

1. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Im going to say something very unpopular but oh well.....

What was the purpose of her not obeying the teacher in putting up the phone and not leaving?

She shouldve obeyed the teacher she disrupted the class. I would also call her a thief.

He was wrong for tossing across the room but she needs to be held accountable also

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing but this is a great example of how deep the brainwashing has gone with us as a culture when we look at black kids. Absolutely no one asked what was going on with her they just assumed another unruly black kid. Poor girl lost both her mother and grandmother within the last month. She is now in foster care and was having a bad day that day.
    Had she been white everyone from the local grocer to the bank manager would be asking what happened, but we all assumed she was just another bad apple when it was so far from the truth.

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I wouldnt call it brainwashing. U have seen the videos of teachers getting punched out by students. I have seen it first hand how students act...especially in hs.

I feel bad for the girl and she is going thru alot but what does that have to do with her putting up with cell phone.

Students (especially black) will tell u what they will or will not do.

Example: im teaching (subbing) a math clas
    And they were to do negative/positive addition problems (9th grade mind you) and told the students no calculators.

I had students argue for the whole hour and then look in the back of the book for the answers.

Im telling u...these kids are fucking crazy.
    They just dont care.

4. The Dark King

If she were white people would ask what happened they wouldn't just assume she's being unruly.
    She was having a bad day it happens.

5. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

This is why I couldn't ever be a teacher. I don't have the patience for that kind of cockiness. When students behave that way, can't you give them an F on that assignment because they cheated by looking for the answers in the back? I hope you didn't let them argue with you for an hour about your rules for that exam. Teachers shouldn't argue or permit that kind of time-wasting. The rules are the rules, students can follow them or be dismissed with disciplinary action. Fuck that nonsense GL. If you entertain a child's disrespect of your authority, you're allowing it, giving the impression that they actually have the option to debate your rules. No. You're the teacher. You set the tone for what's acceptable and tolerated.

Having a bad day doesn't excuse you from the consequences of poor behavior. We can all agree things should've been handled differently (and likely would have been if she were white) but kids NEED consequences, regardless of race and regardless of the type of day/week/mo they're having.

6. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Exactly.....having a bad day is no excuse.

This is why there is a 50% turn over in teaching by year 5

7. The Dark King

Dude her mother and grandmother both died the poor girl is grieving. She needed compassion, she needed help , not consequences. This isn't a spare the rod spoil the child situation. It's truly amazing to me how many people don't consider that. If the only two people in the world suddenly died I'd be a fucking wreck especially as a teenager.

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Like we are trying to say...we understand she is going thru it but u cant act anyway you want the disrupted the class over a cell phone. There are students there to learn. School is a perfect place for her to receive the needed attention she needs such as counseling. But there are rules.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  9. RaiderLL

She's certainly grieving and definitely needs someone to help guide and support her during this time in her life. Part of that guidance needs to be stability and discipline. Every human being goes through horribly difficult times, but as adults we aren't granted leniencies so why raise our kids to expect something they'll never receive from authoritative figures? We have to teach our kids that there's a right way to overcome obstacles and persevere, and a wrong way.

10. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Absolutely agree with you, Raider.

In life we are all faced with many challenges, unfortunate circumstances etc. and some may even be handed more than they feel they can handle. Death and sickness is a part of life, homelessness, poverty etc. all very difficult for most everyone to handle, especially at a young age. I do feel for the girl, the same way I would feel for anyone dealing with the loss of a patent or close loved one. This does not give you permission to act out, do whatever you want, and totally disregard and disrespect your authoritative figures. Life's most difficult obstacles do not warrant bad behavior. We all grieve differently, and perhaps she wasn't ready to get back into school quite yet. However, as I understand the situation her teacher and principal both were disregarded when they told her to put her phone away and that's when the police officer became involved.

His behavior was totally unwarranted and he definitely should have handled that situation entirely different.

The whole situation is unfortunate.

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Well stated

12. The Dark King

Are you mofos high? The girl refused to give up a cell phone she didn't rob a liquor store. Letting her be under those circumstances isn't a tall order. You guys act like she was slapping me people and smoking weed in class
    Sometimes simply asking is something wrong can go a loooong way instead of just dismissing them as being a problem because they made your day a little more difficult than you'd like. We have more than enough punishment for black kids how about some compassion too.

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I dont care if she was black or white....why couldnt she put up the cell phone?

14. The Dark King

Omg are you not paying attention the girl was distraught and grieving. She was having a bad day, it could have been handled totally differently. She was going through some major major loss. Not to mention being ripped from her home being placed in shitty ass foster care. She was having a bad moment and the worst of it was not putting a phone away.
    It's absolutely criminal how we treat black children because I will bet a months pay if she were white all you would hear was what happened what's wrong

15. RaiderLL

No it wouldn't be a tall order but it's a slippery slope that any parent (and probably any teacher) knows you don't attempt. If you let her slide, you have to let others slide too and then when does it stop? Why can't a rule just be a rule? That's so much of the problem with kids today...they expect the rules to bend to fit their lives. That's not life and our job as parents (and teachers) is to prepare our kids for the real world.

You do her no favors by sugar coating her world right now trust me.

16. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

You people are crazy this does not need to be a long debate.
    She broke the rule write her up a detention at worse. like breakfast club back in the days or whatever the name of that movie was back in the day. If tdk is right about her circumstances then you don't write her up a detention and you figure out what is going on with no consquences. This isn't Ted Bundy. You have to be careful how you handle people because if you go on the extreme you may create the very thing that you are trying to avoid. and I have seen it happen.

17. RaiderLL

Expecting the rules to be followed even on "bad days" is extreme now? Good luck raising kids when you have them lol.

18. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

It is extreme now when you have an officer that flips a child in a desk upside and then tossing them around. You think that shows how to handle things???
    Is that proper adult behavior to show such violence? There is no way that child will respect the police or authority when she has been attacked like that.. He antagonized the child and destroyed creditability between the police and the community.

Yes it is extreme. Most of us believe it is and the cop was fired for it. There wasn't a parent that would have found that acceptable!!! If you do then that is on you. The rest of us don't want to see some jerk tossing a little girl around over cell phone incident.

19. RaiderLL

Dude everyone here already said the treatment she received was terrible. The secondary point brought up was about her behavior leading up to that. That is what we're discussing at this point. Guess we really gotta spell shit out sometimes lol.

20. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

WHen I was in HS, where I went to school if we had cell phones back in the day, the teacher simply would have either left her alone and talked to her after class, or took the phone.

This teacher obviously was scared of this student, or his classroom in general and felt he couldn't control the situation.

If you ask a kid to leave and they don't, but they aren't causing a loud disruption, it's probably better to leave them alone.

IMO the teacher if he was more aware should have called the HS psychologist and NOT the cop.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015