Officer body slams high school student

Discussion in 'In the News' started by z, Oct 27, 2015.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Again are you high?
    So we teach our children that even in their darkest moments compassion doesn't exist and we teach teachers that rules are hard and rigid and circumstances never matter. Great lesson.
    You act like finding out what's wrong is akin to letting her go after catching her commit armed robbery.

2. The Dark King

Thank you someone fucking gets it.

3. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

That last comment about extreme was clearly in general I even pointed out having seen an event but I guess I didn't add a space or something to make it seem more general but you are right I got to spell crap out lol.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  4. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Compassion is necessary every fucking day with kids. But news flash youngin...compassion doesn't negate the rules. They went too hard on her, no doubt. But she doesn't get to live by her own rules just because she's going through real hard times. She needs a support system and someone to guide her back to the path that's going to give her s bright future. The "I'm gonna do what the fuck I want to" attitude will get a person nowhere.

5. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

Rules are rules. That's the long and short of the equation in it's most general term. The girl and all she's going through is all circumstantial and had it been my child, I would know whether or not she had the ability to return to school and function normally. Unfortunately for her, she does not have the luxury of a good home with parents who know and love her. There are kids black, white, red and purple who are very sadly overlooked, neglected, homeless and otherwise that do not have an easy life and no positive (or not enough) role models who care about them as people.

From the way I understand the story, she was told by her teacher to put her cell phone away. Then the teacher got the school principal involved. After the principal could not control the situation, the cop was brought into the picture.

No matter what we go through in life, we have to follow rules. We have to respect authority. Otherwise, we can expect repercussions.

I'm not saying the girl deserved the man-handling, abusive treatment. That was way over the top and unwarranted. The cop has training on how to detain someone who poses a threat, disorderly, drunk, etc. people. He should have dealt with her in a very different manner. Absolutely uncalled for.

6. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

Oddly even with the girl's insubordination, being at school was probably the absolutely best place for this girl to be.

Maybe it was different when I was in HS, but they had separate classrooms where teachers and students could be isolated and do nothing.
    Sometimes it was a disciplinary step, other times it was because a kid needed to be by themselves alone with their thoughts.

It's unfortunate no one in that school had the skill or training to get through to that girl.

Don't some teachers confiscate cell phones before class??

7. RaiderLL

Maybe being a parent changes our view of this?? It seems like the ones who just don't get it, aren't parents. When you're tasked with raising a child, responsibilities/rules/consequences all take on a new meaning. Love and compassion married with structure and discipline are critical in raising responsible adults. You can't let anything slide on "bad days" because then they all become bad days.

8. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

True Raider, but if you knew one of your children was going through serious emotional trauma, say their best friend just committed suicide, what if they didn't want to go to school for a couple days??

Would you force them to go??

IMO there's no right or wrong answer but I think based on specific circumstances rules for kids need to bend.
    It's a judgement call.

9. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Being a sub and a teacher in training i can tell u from experience teachers go thru alot of steps before they call the principle. A teacher 9 out of 10 times know their situation along with the other 30 students.

1. Tell the student to do a, b and c.we usuall tell tgem 2x. Since this is hs a teacher will tell them to come to their desk or outside to talk to them and get them in line.
    2. If they dont comply we call the security or the principal. if that happens sometimes they go to a seperate room for the day.

3. If she still acting up as in this case its security to remove her.

Everyone was cool with her.

I promise u in an hour class she killed 10 minutes before the principal came

She had more than enuff chances. Teachers dont have time to fool around. They got deadlines to meet or they are fired.

10. RaiderLL

Most definitely I'd keep them home if they were going through something. More than anything because I wanted my own two eyes on them in case they needed anything. My kids are very open with me, they know I can see right through them so when somethings up they can just spill it. It's sad that this girl didn't have a wider net of support. I firmly believe though that letting her slip and do as she pleases, regardless of the impact it may have on those around her, is not in her best interest. It might be what's easiest, and what you feel better doing because you hurt for her situation, but it's not best for HER.

11. The Dark King

You people are insanely rigid. Rules are rules? It's not like the girl was disrupting class, she wouldn't give up her phone. Not a single soul was being effected but instead of dealing with the situation we should just adopt this robotic way of thinking. Rules are rules no matter what else is going on?
    Life rarely works that way and again the circumstances weren't the norm. She lost her family, if you have even lost one important person you know how earth shattering that is let alone two and when you're a teen. Then on top of that you have to live in a stressful environment, the poor girl can't catch her breath for God sakes but hey rules are rules. Smh I seriously can't with you two. Step outside of yourself for a second imagine you have no one I mean literally not a single soul on earth and then after losing everyone who loved you you're in the fucking hell that's the American foster care system and people are giving you grief for having a damn phone? Get the fuck all the way out of here with that shit.
    If we didn't know about her personal situation I might be able to see it your way but knowing all that, you still want to be rigid and chalk this shit up to shit happens? Wow

12. RaiderLL

Do you know her personality prior to her current situation? Teachers in my experience do care and do know their students. If this was a good girl just having a bad day I'd imagine her teacher would've exercised more leniency with her. Maybe, just maybe, this was her usual personality...defiant, do what I what type. Maybe this was a fight the teacher had to have with her before and he wasn't going to have his class held up because of it again. Who knows. Maybe I shouldn't be so quick to force her into structure but that would mean the reverse is also true...you shouldn't be so quick to let her slide without knowing this was really just a "bad day" and not a pattern of bad behavior.

Oh and you can miss me with that insanely rigid shit. You know Cherokee and I are probably two of the most genuine, caring, real moms on this site...and we know what it's like and what it takes to raise kids (biracial kids at that). If we're not out there consistently fighting for and pushing our kids...who's going to??

13. The Dark King

Time and place woman time and place. Certain situations don't have to be a teachable moment.
    And in my experience teachers are just like every person with a job. There for the check. Burned out tired and sometimes too lazy to deal with a difficult situation. I see that more often than not and to their credit it comes from being in a culture that blames them for everything and gives them next to no support.
    And seeing how this whole thing unfolded over a phone I doubt it was I tried everything I could situation. Sounds more like an ego power trip thing. If she was disrupting the class wtf is the problem? Give her a detention and call it a fucking day.

14. RaiderLL

Our experiences with teachers differs greatly my friend, I'll admit to that! It may not have been a "tried everything I could" situation, like I said he may have been pissed to be having the same argument for the umpteenth time. She was disrupting the class though by outwardly disrespecting her teachers rule, causing a pause in learning for him to deal with her disruption. I'm actually thinking that may be the core of my issue here. I'm usually flexible with people going through tough things but respect is non negotiable for me, especially from kids. I love my kids more than life but they know they aren't getting shit without manners and respect. I just can't wiggle on that, right or wrong, that's just me.

15. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Did u read the procedures i posted.

Also tell me what teachable moment was there?

Teachers are lazy and just for a paycheck? This is tge kind of thinking that allws these kids to do what they do.

They think they can talk back to a teacher and disrect them because of this kind of thinking.

The last group of people to be disrespected should be teachers.

16. The Dark King

Don't be a cop I didn't say all teachers. I'm saying just like any other job there are lazy people who don't do their job correctly. A lot of people do shit just for the check and all that down time in the case of teachers. Not everyone is there for the right reasons

17. goodlove

goodlove New Member

U are the one that inferred all teachers.
    Back at hand, why couldnt she put the fone away?

U seen the standard procedures .im sure that teacher went thru them and then the principal. Come on.

18. Cherok33

Cherok33 Well-Known Member

according to news reports, the girl had ignored requests by the teacher to go to a "discipline office." The officer then entered the classroom and asked if she would go on her own or if he had to make her, according to another student.

When the student refused to leave, that's when the "resource officer" was requested to take action."

She was told that she was under arrest, but again refused to leave the classroom, and the video then shows the student resisting and being arrested.

I do not believe unfortunate situations like this one are a cookie cutter situation. Every kid is different, because we all live different lives. Unfortunately she is living in foster care and has experienced more heartache than probably most kids her age. We don't know the girl personally, so we cannot say why she behaved the way she did. We don't know if she has a defiant personality or if she was simply reacting to the situation out of grief and not wanting to be there.

All that said, just because you are having a bad day, grieving the loss of a parent or close loved one, maybe you don't like the teacher or your peers. Regardless, you still are expected to follow the rules. You MUST respect authority and do as you are told. Absolutely no special exceptions will be made for anyone.

when you make exceptions, you are enabling bad behavior. Let's say the teacher felt like because of her situation that they would ignore her texting or whatever on her cell phone. then another kid whips out their phone. others follow suit... the teacher should expect them to disregard a no cell phone policy because she isn't doing anything about it. it's not fair to make an exception for one if not for all.

We also do not know the teacher. I personally have had the pleasure of working with very dedicated and good teachers with my children. Some better than others. I don't know how they do it as most are over-worked and virtually all are underpaid. We don't know if the teacher from this story had been dealing with the girl's defiant personality or just having a bad day.

There are many unknown facts in this story so I don't want to delve that deep into the what ifs... all I am saying is that we trust the authoritative figures to do their job teaching and protecting our kids. It's up to parents to discipline our kids so that our kids stay out of trouble.

Being a parent isn't easy, but neither is being a teacher.

Most schools have policies that parents have to read and sign stating that they and their child have read and understand the guidelines when it comes to cell phones in school. Our schools have a zero tolerance and we authorize those who have been placed in authoritative roles the right to take their cell phones away if they break this rule.

It's not about being rigid. I expect my kids to follow the rules. If they don't follow the rules, they will suffer the consequences.

Hopefully, never a situation as horrible as that reported in this story.

19. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Spot on sista...

20. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I don't think that this is related to this article but I had read about a lesbian couple in Hawaii who were assaulted by a police officer for kissing in public.