Officer body slams high school student

Discussion in 'In the News' started by z, Oct 27, 2015.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Raider is my official mouth piece lol
    Again I think everyone is acting like this defiance is some sign of a life of crime. She wouldn'tput away a cell phone not a gun damn lol

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Lol

3. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

When someone loses a loved one, internalizing it and reacting in the manner the girl did, is in no way, justifiable on her end at all. She should have stopped using the phone instead of responding in an erratic manner, grieving the loss of someone or not. Don't give that an excuse to react that way. I get that coming from a broken home and being in foster care is stressful, daunting, and problematic. However, I'm almost certain not all foster children would react or respond the way the girl did.

Yes, the cop was out of order. Better to just snatch it away, and from there, and most likely scenario, have her scream and if she swings first, have her detained and taken to the counselor and if she refuses to open up, then send her home.

You have to hold accountability, which seems to be lost in the idea of many adults here.

4. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

:p

Agreed. The times I was rebellious, regardless of what drove me to that point, was when I needed discipline and accountability the most. I can only imagine where I'd be if my step dad gave me the impression that my situation and/or feelings trumped everything and everyone around me :smt119

5. RicardoCooper

RicardoCooper Well-Known Member

Maybe but we'll never know now.

6. Morning Star

Exactly. Furthermore, gut reactions tend to do more harm if you don't sit back and think about what occurred as opposed to merely allowing the person to have their way, which is a very selfish thing when you can't give any sense of responsibility and accept it.

Excuses are just...terrible.

7. The Dark King

This conversation is the greatest illustration of racism in America I've seen in awhile. If that girl had been Molly instead Cantrell everyone's reaction and thoughts about this would be completely different. In nearly all circumstances we give white kids the benefit of the doubt if a motherfucka murders people the first question isn't why can't he just act right it's ALWAYS what was wrong in his life he needs counseling. This child refused to give up a fucking cellphone and everyone treats it as if she held thr class up at knife point and consequences are the absolute and only way this should be handled.
    If the same thing happened and her skin was white the conversation would only be about how strong she was after going through what she did.
    Smh

8. Morning Star

No one is suggesting that she deserves to be pummeled to the ground and attacked in the way she did. Enough with the straw man response. Quit the deflection, first and foremost, and secondly, recognized that she responded in an erratic manner that should have easily been resolved, given her mental instability. Regardless, there are children like her who would have likely reacted differently, albeit less severe (and yes, I'm speaking of black children from broken homes).

Why are you giving this girl a pass? Why concentrate too much on her skin color and not her actions? If you constantly suggest that her being black should avoid any consequences of her behavior, then you're part of the problem here, and most likely would not make a great parent (should you go through the adoption idea). You have to see the overall picture instead of constantly saying "if this person were white, etc..."

9. RaiderLL

You are so incredibly full of shit. People who parent like you talk in this thread are why we have spoiled fucking brats running around. The easy way to have dealt with her is to just let her be, what takes effort is to call her on her bullshit and let her know it won't be tolerated. But that's too much effort for some people. I'll say it again, the rough way she was handled was uncalled for, but I don't give two shits about her race...if she was mine that phone would've been taken away for good. You don't get to disrespect authority and ignore the rules just because you're going through shit. That mentality is a good way for a black person to get themselves killed nowadays. Like it or not, it's life right now. I'll be damned if I ever give my kids the impression that they can slide with the authorities on bad days. Nope, I want my kids to live to have grandkids and that means you suck it the fuck up and follow the rules, period.

You're thinking this conversation is an illustration of racism?? You've got bm here and ww raising biracial kids who are all saying the same thing. Wtf are you smoking? Loki & Ore...two of the smartest and most balanced individuals here and Cherokee and myself...two ww who've spent their entire lives dedicated to bm and are raising their children...but we're the illustration of racism. I don't even know how else to take your words. So incredibly insulting.

10. The Dark King

Yes you are. You personify this absolute and rigid way we give absolutely no consideration to black kids. You could be raising a village in fucking Ethiopia for all I care your views on this particular situation illustrates more than ever how we feel about black kids.
    Again write her up and move the fuck on but nope we gotta show authority here she needs to know that no matter what happens in life you will always held accountable no matter how minor. That's the lesson she so desperately needs.
    When all you see in media fuck even in life that we simply just don't treat other kids like this. We as a country don't believe that white kids need this same swift punishment for the same behavior it shows us something. We have zero and mean zero compassion for black people. Especially when we're talking death of your entire family coupled with being thrown in foster care. We expect this teenage girl to carry herself like a ln adult and just get over it and act right. Get the fuck out of here with that.

11. The Dark King

I'm saying her being black is the only reason everyone wants her to suffer consequences so badly.

12. Morning Star

Who exactly? No one is disputing what the cop did was justified, and it was heavily excessive. What we are scrutinizing, however, is her behavior and you're giving her a pass like she did nothing wrong. This is part of the "me mentality" and it's a very toxic thing that drives me nuts, especially when people carry this behavior well into their adulthood. Everyone agrees that she should be disciplined and not without consequence.

You're making it into something much heavier than that. Again, why are you avoiding personal accountability?

13. RaiderLL

I truly hope you gain some insight into parenting before ever venturing into it. Your take on this, even though I really can see where you're coming from, is a gross recipe for disaster. No ones disagreeing with you that white kids are often given a pass but the answer isn't to then give everyone a green light to be disruptive and disobedient of authority.

Life isn't fair. All too often, BP aren't treated the same as their white counterparts. We can't allow our kids to use that as their reason to misbehave though. Use it as ammunition to make them fight that much harder to become something in this world. It's not easy to be the bigger person, but it's always the most rewarding in the long run. Life isn't handing my babies any breaks. It's my job to make them as strong, confident, competitive and compassionate as possible. Maybe you don't think it's possible to teach all those traits simultaneously but I assure you it is. I show compassion in every single interaction with my kids...even when I'm riding them about responsibility/accountability. It's something all good parents have to master.

14. The Dark King

Go fuck yourself with that high and mighty I hope you learn something before parenting bullshit. You sound incredibly pompous right now.
    And I never said give her a green light what I've been saying is why are we approaching this like we often do with black kids she absolutely needs punishment this poor girl needs some severe grief counseling again her entire family is dead as a teenager in hs and it happened while in hs. Is there any worst trauma?
    She doesn't need someone telling her how wring she is for having a cellphone in class she needs and deserves compassion. She needs help not punishment. If those of us who are black and/or raising black kids don't see that no wonder everything is so fucked up.

15. RaiderLL

You truly don't get it. Each post makes that more and more clear. Your way of dealing with her would've been quick and simple. What people here are trying to explain to you is the wider-reaching effect your actions would have had. You have to be able to see beyond "this moment" when dealing with kids and really analyze the impact your action (or inaction) will have.

We can agree to disagree. I think most parents question at times if we're doing things right and ultimately we have to follow our heart and our gut. I'm sure you'll do the same when that day comes for you.

16. The Dark King

Got it Raider she needed severe consequences to know that using a cellphone in class was wrong despite anything else going on.
    Anyone else going through a trauma would get help but nope black girl needs consequences got it smh

17. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

So, your answer is to just let her play on her phone during class - which would not only be distracting for the teacher, but also for the rest of the students. Then one bad day turns into another bad day turns into another bad day and when do you decide to finally tell her to put her f*cking phone away??? It'll be too late by then.

She was told by how many adults to put her phone away and she didn't do it.

That's not having a bad day. That's being purposely defiant and extremely disrespectful to adults. That is a HUGE difference.

18. The Dark King

Or how about asking her why she isn't putting the phone away. Build relationships with these kids instead of policing them all the time. Maybe if Officer Fields had a relationship with her it could have been as easy as hey come out into the hall so I can talk to you for a sec. I need you to put that away until the end of class, you can do whatever afterwards but you can't have it out in class ok. Do you have any clue how many kids respond to be spoken to like a human being and not just given commands. I know we don't know what was said but this hey just obey and shut the fuck up model does not work especial with emotional teens. It's really weird to me how all of you see this as the beginning to a chaotic classroom rather than a teachable moment. Stop treating these damn kids like advesaries or that's exactly what they'll become.

19. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Maybe the teacher tried to make it a teachable moment and the girl wasn't having any part of it.

The problem is that the entire exchange wasn't filmed - just the end result.

So anything you or I say is all speculation as to what went down before that video started.

Schools are so regulated now, I can't imagine that it escalated to the police that quickly.

What you have to ask yourself is why would her own peers, of all colors, stage a protest to get the officer reinstated? That is quite the curious development....

20. The Dark King

It's high school it just be a matter of them not liking her for whatever reason and some of the kids liking the cop. I have no clue and I swear to God had I not known about the death of her of family I would probably lean towards how you guys are looking at it but even as an adult if I lost my parents it would earth shattering for me. I can't even imagine what it's like to lose your support system at a young age ripped from your home and then put into the shitty ass foster care system not to mention how awful some of the kids might be towards her for being a foster kid. Kids are plain shitty at that age.
    That's what gives me pause about this whole thing. I really have a hard time getting how so many of you are so cold about it. Fuck your emotions and be a damn robot and even more so those around you who know you should adopt the same attitude.