Officer fatally shot on duty in Illinois

Discussion in 'In the News' started by z, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

This is a great idea.

I recently found out that when my nephew was an undergrad, he wanted to be a cop (I knew that part), so he went on some ride alongs with the local police department. This is a pretty quiet suburb of Chicago.

They all advised him to NOT become a cop. They said you get too jaded.

After hearing that, and after seeing all of these news stories, I think the police need to make changes - like all police (no matter their department) should have to have mandatory desk duty - like 9 months on, 3 months desk duty. Something along those lines to let them get "back to center".

They see stuff that no person can possibly NOT allow to get to them at some point in their careers.

I think a "time out" should be required for all police officers on a yearly basis. It MAY help lessen the likelihood that they become too jaded.

It's just my thoughts.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Agreed and a lot more community involvement. The cops in my neighborhood knew the names of the kids and the families. Build relationships so you aren't afraid all the damn time

3. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

I always thought police officers weren't paid much at all. I just looked it up and I guess I was wrong.

4. The Dark King

In NYC it's 90 after 5 years and in the suburbs it's well over 100 plus overtime. I got a friend who made 50k in ot in 2014

5. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

It really depends where you live though. but yes it often is a cushy job in comparison to the more difficult jobs if you know what to do. If you don't well...patrol is for you.

6. archangel

don't forget their pension. things that most americans do not get yet we have to pay for.:smt012

7. The Dark King

Yeah good point almost like winning a lottery

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

50000 in nyc with overtime and thats balling?

9. shaft2k4

shaft2k4 Active Member

I think he means 50k in overtime + regular pay.

10. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Sure...thought it was clear. It means, almost 100% of rapists who've raped/rape females, were/are male.

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Lol. I need a nap

12. The Dark King

Thanks Shaft... wow never thought I'd say that in real life lol

13. The Dark King

But what percentage of men are rapists?

14. archangel

I am quite entertained by this.:mrgreen:

15. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Whut? How would l know. I'm sure there are statistics of reported rapes
    (at least), out there.

16. The Dark King

You don't see my point?

17. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Oh, ok. I thought you were saying 100% of rapes are male on female.

18. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Nope. Do you see mine?

No. I'm keenly aware how much male on male rape occurs.
    In fact, there is a gang of rapists on the loose in DC as we speak, grabbing men (2 separate victims so far) off the street into a van, and gang raping them. Horrifying.

19. The Dark King

Like Arch said before men aren't an organized group paid by women to protect and serve them nor do men uniformly defend other men when rape occurs anywhere near the same level cops do when they commit a crime. Also there isn't a public support of women being raped when a woman is raped the automatic contention isn't let's investigate to see if she's telling the truth or how did she assist her assault it's let's get the fucking rapist.
    Your assaults aren't publicly supported and being covered up by every level of local government nor is it being sanctioned by media outlets.

20. Frederick

Frederick Well-Known Member

Say some dishonest actors in the news media who are manufacturing a narrative about anger about police misconduct leading to people targeting cops so that they can get higher ratings/more clicks online.

In reality, police shootings are actually down from this time last year, and it's the safest time in modern US history to be cop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the other hand, deadly violence perpetrated by the police against members of the public is at an all time high in spite of the low nation crime rate.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/11/11/police-killings-hundreds/18818663/

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/prison-statistics/