P.T.S.S. Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ches, Feb 11, 2016.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Right? Lol
    Who doesn't stunt for reality tv

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Theresa cancel the cable. Thanks

3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

The real black men need to go get their hands dirty. I was a big brother to a kid for a year. Then tutored now teaching. Why? Cause dudes need to go back and help. If kids increase their test scores by 25 points in 20 yrs that could stimulate the economy by 41 trillion dollars. Those kids need to get a part of that .

The little things add up. You can tutor at a high school or elementary school or be a big brother.
    If all they see is bm as drug dealers then we as bm have failed for not going back and getting dirty.

4. The Dark King

But for every kid like your son you gotta imagine there are 10 who aren't especially ones who don't have a doctor for a father. All circumstances aren't created equal Ches.

5. The Dark King

Who says there aren't men who don't do that. I know I do. The amount of free financial planning and mentoring I do could be marked as another full time job but that doesn't erase all the inequities and problems that continue to create these bad situations.

6. goodlove

goodlove New Member

You are rite.... nothings equal but there's were the real bm need to step up

7. goodlove

goodlove New Member

He said all they see is bm who slang dope....did I say you personally. I said "we".

So if you do kudos..... But just like you say for every ten.....there's more who isn't

8. The Dark King

I know you didn't say me personally I'm just saying a lot of the problems include structural inequities as well as lack of black male involvement. I can prepare you all I want but we also have to address the obstacles I am preparing you for. Don't tell me I should learn to run faster with concrete sneakers without trying to figure out ways to chip away at the concrete.

9. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I can tell you right now.....there are a small number of bm putting in work at the rec center teaching kids bball and that's cool but that's not going to be jack if they can't read.

My point is this they need to be strong in the reading and math so they can succeed. They really need it during the summer....the erosion if what they learn happens during the summer

10. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Oh ok. I just wanted to make sure we were good
    Its easier to run if you have good academics in your belt. I just cited pisa on if these kids increased their scores how much money the would make as a nation. Don't be the one putting on the concrete shoes. Do things to avoid it like get a real education.

Why do you think the slave master forbid the slaves to read? He didn't care if you could run or lift big barrels ....he didn't want you to know how to read.

Financial managment can't happen if you can't read.

11. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

What does his dad being a doctor have to do with anything?! His dad left when he was a year and a half into med school and our son was 8. I moved back to my one-stoplight town and my son saw his dad for a week a year thereafter. He realized few benefits by being the son of a doctor. He was the son of a single mother making $7.50 an hour, fully dependent on child support to give him a decent upbringing. His dad is only now helping with school loans because I reminded him that he said he would.

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Damn...that's deep

13. The Dark King

Well for one having an example of someone who actually made it through medical school is a huge resource it may not seem like it to you but it shows you that its actually possible. Mental road blocks can be just as real as physical ones.
    Also that shit is currency in the world whether we believe it or not. I know for me growing up what parents did for a living gave me access to a lot of opportunities just based on the idea that I must be a good kid if they're high achieving. I don't know about your son but what parents did almost always came into the conversation when adults spoke to me.

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

That's another thing.....opportunities poor kids black or white but especially black catch hell academically during the summer. They lose a llot of what they learned during year during the summer.
    http://www.usnews.com/opinion/knowledge-bank/2015/06/16/summer-slide-is-bad-for-students

15. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Oh let me be clear .... Teaching people to manage their money is really really and very I.portant. that stuff is the other foundation blacks should build on...parents should pass a will and not a bill

16. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

His making it through med school paled in comparison to the fact that he destroyed his career and two marriages by the time my son graduated high school. He wasn't exactly someone he bragged about then.

My son was a good kid because he's smart, got good grades, he was responsible, respected my rules and didn't expect anything to be handed to him.

17. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

And he's white. You can't ignore the differences in opportunities based on skin color. Would my son have the same opportunities your son had, in that same one stop light town? Maybe, maybe not. Bm (young and old) are continually shown in our society that they don't matter. Doesn't matter that they're good kids, smart, respectful, etc. They're judged before their character can even be evaluated. Overcoming that reality and continually putting yourself out there for a stand up job, in a world that shows time and time again that you're less than, takes more courage and strength than I think we'll ever genuinely understand as ww.

18. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Ok, but now take kids in a predominantly black community. You're saying most or none of them could find jobs, even low-paying ones? But putting jobs aside, what's to say they can't make more of an effort to do well in school? You and I have both talked at length to a member of this forum who came from a bad situation as a young man but climbed out of that. Big city, lots of crime, one-parent household, death of that parent at a young age, no support from the other parent.... What makes the difference between a kid like him and these 12-14 yr-old kids who think they're tough and their only aspiration is to be lazy but rich?

19. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Right, but even that person you're speaking of went the "easy route" early in life. I think the difference ultimately is perseverance. Sometimes one break can show a kid that things ARE possible and that life CAN be better. There'll always be punks who want something for nothing. I'm just saying for me, it's easy to understand why some of these kids choose the wrong path. The difficult part is showing these young bm that they DO matter and that their lives ARE worth something, even in a society that continuously tries to show them different. That's the struggle imo. Changing the perception of their reality.

20. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Of course wm get a first look at vs a bm. the major point is about choices. We know racism exist....no denying that. Just don't make it harder for yourself .

Bm need to go back and help. Stop letting drug dealers be the role models.

Also you guys seen the videos ... Black students attacking teachers....wtf