P.T.S.S. Post Traumatic Slave Syndrome

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Ches, Feb 11, 2016.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

This is a legit white privilege example and not so much a race thing but the pure inability to acknowledge or even see how ones circumstances can in fact impact their trajectory. Ok Ches your kid is the grand example of perseverance that every other child should be held to.
    He did it so these lazy fucks need to get off their asses and should do it to.

You know what's funny is my own upbringing was fairly easy I've talked about it several times on here but at least I'm aware enough to know that not everyone has the family or financial support I had growing up. Where I went to school made a huge difference, even when it came to things like part time jobs after school putting down where I went to school put me at the top of the list people looked at me differently. My parents being educated professionals made it easier for me to become one simply because they normalized it. Even though it was the norm for me I could step outside myself and recognize that my circumstances weren't everyone's circumstances.
    All I ask sometimes just step outside of your own experience question all the variables that create and maintain certain situations.

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

She didn't say racism doesn't exist. She's stating that you can't paint all wp having it easy . we know that wp get that unwritten AA.

You stated your parents put you in a great position cause they did well right? However, you are black. That's all people see. U get in that work place and u have to prove yourself far more than the wm. Right..? We know.

Your parents taught you things that a lot if kids need to know. How to get from here to there. Way valuable.

Well she's saying she taught her child that kind if stuff. Stuff that parents need to do.

U would be amazed how people are in the way they parent.

Other situations are really bad. Kids sleep in class cause they sleep in homeless shelters. Teachers dig out there own pocket to feed the kids in their class. I've seen it all. Yet some of those kids get in there and hustle for that grade.
    So yeah nothings black and white but that parent need to be putting in that child's head that there is a better life.
    Man its sad. I can't tell you more but I will say this.... Support that school...teachers are catching hell. They are the mommas/daddys the social workers and nurses before they even teach a lesson
    That's why I don't like summer vacation.

But i digress...not all wp got it easy...That is what ches is trying to say.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  3. goodlove

goodlove New Member

We know white privilege exist and racism. She brought up a fresh take on the Convo.

The problem I have when we talk race is the bm don't listen to the ww. They can bring things to the table we can learn from.

The thread to me can be taken to the next level. We were doing that. Talking mentoring and what not...that's real talk...fresh talk.

Jmo

4. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

So K and Raider aren't ww now?

5. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Aww lawd. Do you see I said we can talk to the ww and get their take. Not all will be the same. Hell are you saying all bm think the same?

Damn we were having a damn good convo and turned it to shit.

Dudes can't have nice thangs...lol

I'm out lol...

6. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

This coming from the guy who has zero ability to step outside his own experiences when it comes to white people. I hold up one example and you're off and running in the wrong direction with it. Im not the obtuse one that can't walk in someone else's shoes. Because unless I have biracial kids, nothing I say holds any validity with you.

7. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Not every person speaking has something to teach. I don't think anyone is unclear about what Ches is saying...her view of things are echoed by white people everywhere so we see it and hear it daily. I think people here are trying to help educate her and judging by her questions and such, it seems like she's open to learning. At the end of the day though, some people (not speaking of Ches) just won't get it. I think a lot of people claim to recognize that white privilege exists but when you really drill down to examples in their everyday life, it becomes evident that they don't see the full extent of what that privilege affords them. I'll echo what someone said earlier...any ww looking to date bm NEEDS to educate herself (and be open to continual education) on what it really means to walk as a bp in this country. We can talk all day about how there are white kids that struggle too, but the bottom line is that those struggling white kids have an automatic advantage that black children don't have. They have a God given leg up and too many people underestimate the weight that can carry.

8. goodlove

goodlove New Member

what Im saying is listen to ww and others cause you always learn.
    Hell satch said stuff about race I knew but she got to hear it first hand. It was deep for me.
    Fg just posted something in one thread that had me rethinking some stuff. I'm like OK. Darn
    I'm going to say this again .....no shit. :) lol
    Go look at the context of the thread she is not saying bp aren't disadvantaged . she is saying not all wp are having it good. Yes, wp have a leg up. That goes without saying. We are in a bmww forum. We talk about it all the time. Day in day out.

Are you echoing what wp say everywhere ...? No. You are white right?

She is getting her education here. Did you put the piece about ptss? No. Why not?

You got bm here that didn't here of this. We got blacks that's not buying what was written. Why cause we all don't think a like and its insulting to aay or infer we do.

Lastly to try to wrap her intentionally or not as a racist is foul.

Hell shes doing more learning at learning I don't agree with her all the time but I know she's not a racist or close to it

9. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Was there elements of white privilege in her post.. You can say that very easily. I can't deny that. But remember we all know what she's not.

Also the missed pt she said was the father wasn't around for the son but y'all kept saying the daddy this and that. Go back and read.to me she did just as much "I can relate" versus not.
    That's a missed point.

We know about white privilege . ....look at the Bundy's and blm. I said that a long time ago and its still holds true again on their actions and the actions of the govt and media. Look at how they media covered the "celebration" after the Superbowl. We didn't discuss that cause we know. Its a broken record.

What we also neglected is what bobba stated. That was a good pt. Go look at what he stated. He had a great view pt and how it might or not go with what she said.(stirring the pot a bit lol)

10. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

GL, thank you for your support. :freehug: You understand where I'm coming from.

Too often, black folks think they have the whole picture because they live the other side of white privilege. But they only live it from that one angle. (Just white folks live on the opposite side of white privilege.) They don't step away from their perspective to really listen to a white person's perspective and how they came to have it. They assume. I thought this could be a place where that was possible because regular forum members have gotten to know me from what I post so maybe it might be considered for just a minute. But instead, folks plug up their ears and scream "White privilege!" and walk away.

In the end, a black person can never truly know what it's like be white, nor can a white person ever truly know what it's like to be black. We would do well to just listen to each other and appreciate and try to understand what the other has experienced. I do it all day in the social groups I'm in. I'm schooled sometimes, but occasionally, my experiences are eye-opening for someone else because they opened their mind and considered it without clapping back.

Discussions about racism and injustice need to be an open conversation not a monologue.

11. goodlove

goodlove New Member

You could ve said "dialogue" cause that means two way conversation where as you correctly stated monologue meaning one way conversations. "Mono" means one where as "di" means two. Both derived from the Latin language.

Uuuhhh what we talking about?

Oh...

I don't think any group believe they have the other figured out or a whole group think that but I get what you are saying though.

In other words not everyone has ill-intent.

12. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Agreed, but conversation just sounds a little more personal to me. So I chose that on purpose to contrast with the impersonal nature of the word monologue.

13. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I was just joking. I put it in there for everyone to lighten up a bit.

I don't think anyone meant any ill-intent. I think we can walk in a conversation "with our fist balled-up" (as grandfolks would say)

14. K

K Well-Known Member

Relax GL. I really don't think you need to be defending Ches so much. She's a grown woman and can handle her own.

She put things out there and they were addressed. There's nothing wrong with that. It's simply people pointing things out and trying to show other perspectives.

I happen to be one to think that her son was still looked at differently, no matter what she may think. Even if they thought of him as a "military brat" with a sea of other military kids....being a pilot within that realm means more than other positions. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with her son having advantages at all. Hell, we all do what we can to make sure our kids have advantages...I know I do! (black kids and white kids) It's about understanding. Most don't have to be hearing about the woes of poor white folk, because get real even the poor white folk have it better than the poor black folk. You know how I know this? I've lived it.

15. K

K Well-Known Member

yep.

16. K

K Well-Known Member

I'm the one who said it. And I am speaking about Ches (as well as others out there). To me the things she has stated shows over and over again that she isn't getting it and is an example of what you said. I think a huge part of it is in the approach.

17. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

[sarcasm] Yep. I don't get it. At all.[/sarcasm] I just created this thread for shits and giggles.

18. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

:smt005 you made the mistake of mentioning your white son...only all black kids or bi-racial kids are to be mentioned on this forum...

how dare you Ches:smt005

19. K

K Well-Known Member

Give me a break...take responsibility for the things you say....

Originally Posted by Ches View Post
    "They don't seem to have a problem finding drugs to sell in these one-stop light towns. Why is that? My hometown has no fast-food places. But my son was still able to find a job at 14 before he could drive to places where jobs were more plentiful. There are still legal ways for kids to make money in most places except for the most poverty-stricken areas. But drugs pay better."

Do I need to quote the other several posts about this?

It isn't about that you can't mention white kids. But when you are going to hold up one white kid as a comparison for a large percentage of Black kids....things are going to be addressed.

20. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

give me a break! you adopted a black baby which now makes you an authority...give the woman a fucking medal! oh and btw, who are you to tell GL that he can't protect where Ches is coming from? perhaps he is more open minded than you...for someone that is so far up Raiders ass that you could tell me what she had for lunch you have no room to talk...

I just saw a post on FB from a group I belong to...neighborhood group...very pregnant woman says she is willing to pay $40.00 to anyone that would come today and clean up the dog poop in her yard. We have had a ton of snow so now that it has melted it's time to clean up after the dogs. You would not believe how many parents responded, "my son will be right over...what's your address?" she must have gotten 12 responses...when it snowed, parents posting for their kids, "my son is ready to shovel your sidewalk or driveway" in the summer, "my son is available to help you clean your garage" if I have an odd job that needs done I can have a kid at my house within the hour to do the job...this is how you make money not selling drugs on the corner...and yes I live in a VERY mixed neighborhood...

I get it but I also see the tides changing...it won't be very much longer in this country were white will be the minority...