Political Humor

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

You can't help people who either don't think they need help or who don't want the help. This would be just as much a waste a money as anything else.

Addicts will only change when THEY want to change. You can't force sobriety on them.

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I'm good with that if they test positive for Meth, Cocaine, PCP, or Opiates.

I just don't see the point of sending someone to rehab for something like Pot, LSD, or Ecstasy. Just tell them to go home and reapply in 90 days.

3. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

True, but introducing them to a different environment with different people may help them to see a different perspective or help them to see why they are in the condition that they are in. Especially if they are truly getting educated.

We cant make them drink but we still should lead them to the river.

4. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

What's so shitty about this drug testing policy for welfare recipients is on average, they use drugs less than the general population.

Just another way the right wing is trying to demonize poverty.

How about we drug test cops after they kill an unarmed suspect??
    The whole policy is just hypocritical.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Lets do that too!!

6. Bookworm616

Any addict helped this way is the exception, not the norm.

7. K

K Well-Known Member

How about we test teachers too?

I used to work for a company where testing was required. If there was ANY type of incident whatsoever the employees involved had to be tested immediately as well.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I think that's true but you should ask yourself is it worth helping 1 to 10 percent of addicts.

There is enough evidence that the human race sucks in general. We could give up and just keep destroying the earth (greenhouses gases) and fighting. Or we can see a reason to actually care about something.

I don't think that there is a right answer.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

No, how about we support the teachers more. I don't see the point of drug testing teachers. Maybe they need to get high just to deal with the bullshit.

10. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

Beat me to it.

11. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

So what's your solution? Tell them to starve?
    Gotta love that famous Republican compassion.

12. Bookworm616

Spending millions of dollars to potentially save 1-10% of addicts is not a good ROI.

We are deeply in debt, we can't throw good money after bad. It makes zero sense.

Plus, you can't force adults to do anything. My parents learned that the hard way, trying to get my brother into rehab. He had already reached 17-18 and by law they couldn't force him into rehab.

I never proclaimed to have a solution. I just know that you can't force addicts who don't want help to go to rehab. It would be a gigantic waste of money and I'm tired of politicians throwing good money after bad. Taxes are high enough.

13. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Like creating military oridnances that never get touched? Funny how that is NEVER the topic of conversation when we are talking waste but yet anything to help poor people should be scrapped. I could give a fuck less if all they want to do is be on drugs all day I want help to be available when they are ready to receive. Stop punishing them for being poor because when the drug rehab goes towards white kids on heroine and oxy all of sudden we no longer criminalize drug use and think everyone should get help.

14. Bookworm616

Dude, relax. I didn't realize I was running for office and had to have an answer for everything.

Have I not spent the last several months talking about Hillary and her warmongering ways? I actively supported Bernie Sanders who proposed cutting the military budget by like 10% to pay for what he was proposing.

Who said I'm punishing poor people? There are already services out there for poor people and addicts and I think they're great. But trying to force addicts to go to rehab when they aren't interested in getting sober is a waste of money and everyone's time. And that's all I said.

15. archangel

The larger piece of debt isn't from helping the addicts. It is from social security. This would barely increase the debt. You are talking about millions where the country makes at least a trillion a year. Also it cost billions to place people in prison. You might as well not put them in prison and make all drugs legal to avoid debt.

16. andreboba

Overseas there are Euro countries experimenting with the exact strategy; providing all drug addicts with their drugs legally.

It keeps them from committing crimes to score more drugs, out of jail and reduces the overall cost on society.

A junkie with a reliable fix isn't going to really hurt anyone else, except themselves.

This country really needs to get a helluva lot smarter in how we combat drug dependency.

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Yeah let's legalize all drugs in a country where Donald Dump is this close to becoming president because we really have excess brain cells to burn.

Legalize marijuana and call it a day. As long as government assistance money is not used to buy it then I don't see the problem.

18. andreboba

The article I read was mostly about heroin addicts.
    It's not that they made all drugs legal. They treated drug addiction like a disease and made drugs like heroin available through treatment.

Some of these addicts I believe were still able to achieve a functional lifestyle that included work.

There's always going to be a percentage of the population that has a problem with drugs.

The only question is if we make drugs medically available for addicts, will it increase the use of those drugs??

What we're doing now for sure isn't working.

(I'm gonna go find that article and post it today.)

19. archangel

20. ColiBreh1

ColiBreh1 Well-Known Member