Racist Heineken ad

Discussion in 'In the Media' started by Madeleine, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Madeleine

Madeleine Well-Known Member

What’s wrong with Heineken? What nutcase can make such an ad and get it approved by everyone above him? Looks like something from 50 years ago.

2. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

Great question are they aware of right wing groups?

3. Madeleine

Well are they aware of society in general?
    It’s an American ad, isn’t it?

4. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

It's so subliminal. It starts with shit like this. Wordplay is effective and they knew what they were doing.

5. Madeleine

I’m sure they were. I mean how can you not know what “lighter is better” means. Trevor has a point when he says maybe they just launch bs like this to get lots of attention.

6. darkcurry

Yeah and it starts to make you wonder if they are trying to covertly make racist people comfortable, because CLEARLY this can and have hurt businesses before.

7. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Heineken is fairly popular among black people. Time for people to realize that Rolling Rock is better anyway. Similar taste without the bitter aftertaste.

Black people are fairly loyal to their alcoholic brands. You won't catch a derogatory Hennesy commercial, they know better.

8. Madeleine

Yeah but how many ppl must have looked over this ad and approved it? It’s beyond me.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

People are more comfortable pretending that racism doesn't exist. All they have to do is simply apologize anyway. Usually black people just keep buying their products without consequence.

Hennessey is a bit different because its deeply ingrained in the culture. Rappers essentially advertise it for free. The owners of the product are smart enough to acknowledge on their end.

10. Madeleine

I see. Didn’t know Hennessey was such a black thing.

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Part of it has to do with cognac/brandy being the smallest brown liquor market (less choices). Black people are still the most loyal base for it.

When white guys go for cognac/brandy its usually top shelf. They will drink bottom shelf whiskey but not bottom shelf cognac/brandy. Regular Hennessey is bottom shelf cognac.

12. meowkittenmeow

meowkittenmeow Well-Known Member

I recently had a conversation about this.

13. darkcurry

A lot of truth here. Agree!