Random Conversation 2.0

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bookworm616, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Maybe I just need to get laid

2. Ra

Ra Well-Known Member

.....and negroes start lining up to volunteer to help out with that task in 3,2, 1........

3. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

now we're talkin!

4. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

5. satyr

satyr New Member

You ever notice how there aren't any mega-albums anymore like Thriller or Purple Rain? I think lost revenues in the music industry may explain it.

[​IMG]

That's a HUGE drop. Where is the incentive for record companies to invest in artists or producers when the aggregated return is 50+% less than what it was in 1999?! Now artists are expected to move units from the jump, whereas before you were allowed to develop an audience over three or four albums. It took Prince six tries before he became Prince in 1984 and (if you're old enough) the artistic development with his first five albums was wonderful to see and hear. Record companies are ready to drop your ass if you don't sell like they want you to on the first or second attempt. It's really sad for music and art in general.

6. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

The problem is theft pure and simple. Who the hell is going to buy an album when there are apps that allow you to download anything you like for free. They would be better off developing security to dilute the quality of a song the more they are copied and dispersed. Certain software stops working after the third or fourth time you install it, music should apply the same concept. I do wonder at times what do consumers actually spend money on these days being that technology makes so many things inexpensive if not free these days. Who buys dvds for full price anymore when you can stream almost anything you want whenever you want. At least certain spots have smartened up like Alamo that offers food while you're watching a movie.

7. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

The quick buck is all that matters. If they can cash in off of some fresh naive face in the industry, rather than have to adjust their gameplan with a more established, but not that great selling artist, they'll take the easy route. Plus, I wonder if artists these days even have enough depth and talent to develop over three or four albums. People buy singles rather than albums now. If they want that hot new track from Yung Scribblenut or Mr. sensitive guitarist, they'll buy that track and that track only that. Part of it may be the record labels know that many of the people they sign were never good enough to have a lasting supply of quality content to support their development.

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Do consumers even care? If you look at the top ten singles on itunes most of that shit is just plain trash. It's so rare to hear a song that really hits you anymore. I spend way more time listening to music from 96 to 06 than shit that's out right now. When things become easy people don't put in that much effort.

9. GFunk

GFunk Well-Known Member

Pretty much. Even though I'm sure going back the the Motown days, artists were still told how to craft their sound, but their at least was a level of quality and originality. You really have to dig these days to find shit that isn't cookie cutter. With social media and advancements in technology, it's no wonder more and more people are choosing music as a career path. You can get discovered on Youtube, so people see that as another outlet to make easy money putting out any old shit. I doubt there were that many people back in 1976 wanting to make music a career compared to the numbers today(Or more people just have the resources to make the attempt).

10. satyr

satyr New Member

A very strong observation.

11. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

Sounds about right

12. Morning Star

Morning Star Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Also take into account the Napster effect. If Thriller were released today, it would not even come close to moving the number of units it moved in 82.

14. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

What a coincidence. It just so happens I'm going to be in Whereverthefuckyoulive, TN this weekend for a business meeting or whatever.

15. MixedSuperman

MixedSuperman Member

Also the youth's attention span is worse than a goldfish now days. They're impatient. They couldn't sit long enough through an album which is why labels are putting out singles tturning artists into one hit wonders.

16. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

I'm sure the fact that many albums were garbage with a few hot tracks had nothing to do with it

17. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

Excellent post...I completely agree! I have been called a racist among other things ...to stay in the good graces of the men all you have to do is take your clothes off...as long as you are posting in the lingerie thread the dudes will love you...I must agree with Bliss that you bring much more to the table intellectually...don't sensor yourself just to please others...

18. jaisee

jaisee Well-Known Member

Sad, but true.

19. MixedSuperman

MixedSuperman Member

Eh thats not an entirely fair statement. What the youth call music you probably disagree with and vise versa. It all comes down to age and technology imo.

20. MixedSuperman

MixedSuperman Member

I agree do not censor yourself. Everyone on here is an adult. The fact that someone is going to fly off the handle bc THEY may have read something in a different manner in THIER head should let you know who to avoid in a place like this.