Random Conversation 2.0

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bookworm616, Oct 7, 2011.

1. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

yes it does...skyping wine night...!!!

you left out the oobs flashing bit though

2. wtarshi

wtarshi Well-Known Member

me's hungry for a smoobgasbord....

follow that with a sammich

3. vanilla2chai

vanilla2chai New Member

Yum! Sounds Delish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. SmoothDaddy101

SmoothDaddy101 Well-Known Member

I never knew how many male negroes suffer from Stockholm Syndrome. Geez.

5. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

I know right

6. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

It's really sobering and humbling to read alot of the posts on here, and especially to hear underlying currents of emotion that I wasn't aware of. When you "see the other side" of any situation, but especially ones where you will never experience the other POV (male/female, black/white as opposed to thin/fat, young/old), it's eye opening. Maybe i'm naive, but I find myself surprised by some of the sentiments expressed by the men on this board, and the feelings they have about white privilege, etc. I was always aware of discord between whites & black but not always certain of the root causes.

I heard a very angry undercurrent in my ex bf's conversation throughout our relationship. He grew up in the south in the 60's and experienced things I had only heard about. It was humbling to me to see white people through his eyes.

Having a hard time with this. I say this with respect and I hope if there is any response, it will be respectful as well. If you just want to mock or ridicule or ask me what rock I crawled out from under, please don't. Some of this stuff has been intense for me.

7. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

did lippy miss the wet tshirt contest:confused:

8. vanilla2chai

vanilla2chai New Member

CBG, there is a very good peer reviewed well respected article called White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack by Peggy McIntosh. Have a read. It is interested. I read it for a class a few years ago.

9. Athena

Athena New Member

Thanks Van, I just downloaded a free copy and will read it asap.

10. vanilla2chai

vanilla2chai New Member

Cool. I found it interesting and a good read.

11. The Dark King

Ditto

12. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

Thanks, V2C, I will definitely check this out.

I know I probably come off sounding naive, but it's more like hearing people describe something that tastes terrible and then tasting it yourself. You've always known that it tastes bad but you haven't experienced it yourself to know that what others say is so very true. And I will never truly experience this, but I'm as close as I will ever get. I realized a couple years ago that I had lived in my tiny, white, middle-class bubble for way too long...

13. JordanC

JordanC Well-Known Member

Nilli needs to get her tech in together :p and do another performance. Nobody saw anything. :(

14. vanilla2chai

vanilla2chai New Member

I really dont know what happened Jordan! I posted in photobucket and then posted them here. I could see them but others could not?

15. The Dark King

Good read Athena I have to admit there were things in there that I never realized till now. But these all serve as agents of inclusion and exclusion whether we see it or not.

16. Ches

Ches Well-Known Member

I can't thank you enough for pointing me to this article. I wish every white person could read it, but I also wish every non-white person could as well, so they might understand how we could be blinded to something that is so glaring to them.

17. vanilla2chai

vanilla2chai New Member

Glad you both enjoyed it. It was part of my education in society course three or four years ago. I thought it was interesting.

18. The Dark King

Still difficult for me to get male privilege from a bm perspective in relation to ww but damn that article is crazy. Good stuff kid. Share more if you got it.

19. pettyofficerj

pettyofficerj New Member

This topic was mandatory reading followed by intense discussion for my eng 101 back at Penn state in 2000. Granted I was like the only black in my class at the time too.

They were trying to get people out of their bubbles really young back then

20. lippy

lippy Well-Known Member

if you were at penn state back in 2000 then you must be pushing 30 yourself...damn the dudes are getting old around here...we need some fresh meat:smt042