Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

What's wrong with free? And like I said before the money is definitely there the people need to be loud about where they want it applied. We don't need dozens of unused tanks and ordinances do we?

2. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

While you were enjoying your high school experience other high schools in the US were being neglected. This high school was neglected to the point that they actually allowed the roof to fall in. So I really don't think they had the latest up to date equipment and books or anything that could be useful to a higher learning experience. The place was actually not conducive to learning at all. So if this is what your decentralized education system looks like then what's the point of having one in the first place?

http://www.edweek.org/ew/articles/2001/05/16/36bond.h20.html

"The collapse last October of the roof over East High School's gymnasium sparked Cleveland leaders' effort to secure new money to repair district schools. While no one was injured at East High, the gravity of what could have occurred had a significant impact on the district and the community."

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  3. Since1980

Since1980 Well-Known Member

A big reason why the cost of college keeps going up is because of damn-near unlimited federal loan money. Back in the day there were caps on how much you could take out in loans to cover tuition costs but these days not so much. Since students can borrow tens of thousands of dollars a year, a lot of schools have raised their tuition because they know the money is going to come in one way or another.

It wouldn't solve the problem completely but if there are ever limits set on how much people can borrow in one year and those limits are reasonable, schools would have almost no choice but to start lowering tuition.

4. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

I think it is the opposite manner. If they would cap how much the schools could charge then the loans would not be so much.

Look how the northeast's tuition is so much higher than the southeast yet both have the same federal loan requirements.

5. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

1.) So this is why the dems NEVER get anything done for active duty military? Funny how they can get other things that they want badly enough.
    They can get the affordable care act passed and can't get decent annual cost of living raises for active duty? Riiight.

2.) The democrats started the expansion of welfare and has always been for it while like most programs the republicans wanted to cut and do away with it.

The Dems provided the money for the programs at the federal level, the least they could have done was make laws to assure that the program would be administered properly.

You choose to absolve them of responsibility. According to that logic the people who fund terrorist activities are in no way responsible for terrorism.

The people who bring drugs into the country are in no way responsible for the destruction of thousands of communities because they were not the ones on the neighborhood block till 5 am.

The republican states administered welfare just as poorly as the democratic states but they didn't want the program at all to begin with.

3.) Props to Obama on this, but the constituency of the left could care less about this achievement.

4.) Have you paid any attention the the gun laws of New York, Cali, Washington D.C. and Chicago? That boogey man is real and the democrats created him.

5.) Based on what exactly? What would this system be modeled after??

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Good Idea

7. Since1980

That's mainly because the northesast is where most of the prestigious Ivy League schools are located. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Brown, Penn, etc. can charge whatever they want to and people will pay it. You won't find a lot of that in the southeast or the midwest. But it's easier to limit the amount of loan money that students are eligible for than it is to freeze tuition rates, even more so with private schools.

8. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is make a legitimate effort. Raise the fines. Use the money acquired from fines to hire more agents for the purpose of enforcing this law.

If money can be wasted on arresting pot dealers in the so called war on drugs. Then they can at least make an effort to catch people in the country illegally.

Federal Agents are smart, good at what they do and have a high success rate in almost every category of crime. Sooner or later they catch the people who they are after.

9. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

There aren't that many ivy leagues to explain away the higher tuition. I think my point is more clear though. The universities will charge whatever they want. By capping the loan amount, you are simply stopping some students from going to the university. The university will just continue to charge as much as they can to the rich kids.

Also, New Jersey placed a cap on tuition rates. It can be done and doesn't hurt the students.

10. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

My ideal pic for president and because it's up in the air for me I may end up voting for whoever he endorses.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  11. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

Colin Powell? Excellent 'random political comment'!

12. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

I think you're on to something. Kind of like how carriers determine what they'll pay doctors and sho nuff the doctors accept it. The hospital charges "X" dollars and the insurance co says they will pay "y" and almost always the hospital says "ok deal"

13. Satchmo

Satchmo New Member

I see truth in all that you're saying. In vulnerable moments bm friends have told me that the "unreportable income biz" was more dignified than selling soda at the mall. They were saying that the choice that racism left them was both obvious and incompatible with the W9 American dream. This made sense to me.

The only 'solution' to this (apart from ending racism) seemed to lie in creating alternative opportunity, which points us to look at education. The problem I see with high schools is that they vary dramatically depending on the parish/county -- they seem to be tied to the property taxes of the neighborhood? What if public education wasn't tied to income levels? I don't know the ins-and-outs of school vouchers, but the basic premise begs the question as to why democrats are against it?

14. Since1980

That's pretty much it. If there's a lifetime cap on student loans of, let's say $60,000 then colleges at all levels are going to seriously have to consider how much tuition is going to increase from year to year. It's understandable that tuition is going to increase a little bit just because of inflation but the rate at which it's skyrocketed over the past few decades is unsustainable. The downside is that it would probably end up hurting poorer students whose families can't afford to pay for college so even if we fix that problem we'd end up causing another.

If I had to tell kids nowadays about whether they should go to college after graduation I would seriously be on the fence about it given the debt they would rack up and the fact that they may not be able to pay it off in any reasonable amount of time, not to mention pursuing an advanced degree like law or med or business school. If only 35 year-old me could go back and talk to 25 year-old me...

15. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I think the problem is less about how the high schools are financed and more related to the fact that people just don't care. People get away with stealing and misuse of government funds because it doesn't directly affect anyone. Try misusing the money of a corporation. It will get uncovered and you will get fired with the quickness. When people are directly affected and have something to loose like the stockholders for example, less bullshit is tolerated.

The way the state colleges are set up now you either have to work your ass off in order to get in without paying, in that case they can start making you pay as soon as your grades slip, or you will have to pay from the beginning. In either case you have to put forth the effort and have something to lose if you slack off.

The schools can't slack off or people will stop going and they will loose revenue. By saying fuck it and let everyone go free you take away the reason for people to care and you take away the reason for a school to stay on top of their business.

I think Bookworms idea is on the right track, people should generally have to pay for college, but the fees shouldn't be out of control like they are in the north.

Now days MBA's are only good under one of these circumstances:

1.) If you are already at a company you want to stay with long term and you have opportunities with them to move up the ladder and they are willing to pay for it.

2.) You go to one of the top 20 US schools.

3.) You simply want to expand on your knowledge as a venture capitalist.

16. The Dark King

Not even. If you don't couple it with a JD or engineering don't bother. Most of that stuff can be learned in the real world for free

17. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Damn.........lol

18. The Dark King

Its too general everything is going toward specialization and a MBA doesn't really give you a skill set. What can you actually do at the end of it?

19. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

I don't know. The job market never really made much sense to me. Personally I look at the job market as a secondary reason for my education, because I don't understand it. Lol. Too much bias for my logical disposition.

20. The Dark King

Yeah this entire thing is a game lol