Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. DudeNY12

DudeNY12 Well-Known Member

OMG! Can I rep you for this like 1000 times. I've debated this on another site where I also likened Trump to Hitler. In that debate I stated that (1) today it's Muslims and Mexicans, but who will it be next? (2) Even Hitler started out small with his reign of terror, and as he rose in power... so did his atrocities. One thing that stuck in my mind from the time I visited the Holocaust Museum was... Some of the Jews while on the train ride to their demise had a hard time believing the fate that awaited them.

2. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

And that's the thing I don't have hear him say blacks to understand it means us too.Better to stand against this bs now rather than later when it's too big to stop. Oh let's not forget everyone thought the actor from California was a joke no way he could become president they said. Then served two terms as the most popular Republican in the last century.

3. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

"Bernie Sanders told crowds in Harlem he understands how it feels to be racially victimized because he is Jewish.
    The Vermont senator, who rarely discusses his Jewish heritage in campaign speeches, described crying as a child when he heard his father's family was obliterated by the Nazis in the Holocaust.
    That moment, he said, was a pivotal moment that drove him to become a politician to fight racism and hatred.
    'I am proud to be Jewish', he added, though he said he feels 'uncomfortable' talking about himself and his background."

Fair statement?

4. The Dark King

Very fair

5. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

6. samson1701

samson1701 Well-Known Member

7. The Dark King

True but so damn sad. I fear that if Bernie doesn't win true progressives are going to give up on the political process altogether :(

8. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

Absolutely this.

9. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

10. Bookworm616

The Clintons are horribly corrupt. Imagine if Hillary "gets her way" and gets back into the White House.

Do you guys honestly think those corrupt individuals will not sell our country to the person who donates the most money to their "foundation"??

They are so corrupt. So very corrupt. This country cannot afford to elect such a corrupt individual with demonstrated POOR decision making abilities. Hell, this world cannot afford for us to elect her.

There is just too much at stake to elect someone who is on the wrong side of almost every single decision.

You guys are all nuts and need to stop drinking the Clinton kool-aid.

If you don't want Trump, write in a different candidate.

She is NOT the answer.

11. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

She won't be that bad we already had Bill. Trump is more like Bush, an arrogant dick head with an mba and a business background that sucks ass with the best of them.

12. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see any truly viable candidates this time around, Kasich seems like the only adult on the GOP side, and while I like some things Bernie has to say, his agenda would NEVER get past congress, and Hilary does have a lot of baggage.

All that being said, the President is not a king/queen, there are far too many checks and balances on the power of the office for one person to truly destroy or even cause significant damage to our country. The real problem is the intractable amount of partisan gridlock and shameless pandering to the bases on both sides of congress. I don't see any of the current crop of candidates with enough experience, skill, goodwill, and respect from all sides to even attempt to surmount the wave of partisan BS that they will face on day one of the job. Until we figure out a way to address that reality, whoever is sitting behind the Resolute desk will be fighting an uphill battle to make any significant improvements.

13. The Dark King

Should we not take steps in the right direction as progressives then?
    If Congress sucks then let's vote them out. And I'm so tired of the this thing won't happen or that thing won't happen. Are we going to forget the literal miracles Obama has pulled off despite have the mat obstructionistCongress in recent memory.
    It definitely won't be easy but isn't it worth it for the future of our families and ourselves to fight for better rather than adopt this is just the way it is attitude.
    We can do better and therefore should do better.

14. samson1701

Ok, tell me how Trump or Cruz are better candidates. Why should I vote for either of them over Hilary should she get the nomination?

15. Loki

Loki Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly that something must be done. I have worked for many years in local and some national politics, I have in the past been nominated and appointed to select temporary, national committees by my state congressmen. So I have had a good glimpse from the inside as to how things in D.C. work, and the stories I could tell about the double dealing, back-stabbing, plotting and scheming actions of so very many politicians would be enough to make anyone sick.

It will literally take multiple people, people like Corey Booker (D), Amy Klobuchar (Labor)... ect. neither are perfect but have been willing to reach accross party lines to get things done

How do we fix the gridlock? The link below gives some good ideas summarized here - 1. Change the way congressional lines are drawn, making more districts competitive and increasing the odds that centrist candidates could prevail.

2.Revising the rules for Senate filibusters could prevent a few senators from routinely blocking action supported by a majority.

3. Changing the congressional calendar could encourage legislators to build personal relationships with colleagues from the other party.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news...ton-Congress-gridlock-partisanship/50574136/1

16. samson1701

These are great steps, Loki.

Let me add one more:
    Get involved in politics and stay involved. Not just for the presidential cycle but the mid-terms and local elections.

The biggest problem with us liberals is that we'll come out for presidents, but fail to show up and elect people who will help in the mid-terms. A liberal president isn't as effective if he can't get his ideas through the other parts of government.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  17. Bookworm616

I'd never tell anyone to vote for Cruz. I swear that dude is a serial killer.

I mean, look at this: https://vine.co/v/ePgXdYEimDF

That tells you everything.

Honestly, the more this election cycle goes on, the more comfortable I am with a President Trump, if it has to come down to that.

If it's Trump vs Sanders, I'm putting my vote for Sanders.

If it's Trump vs Clinton, it'll be either Trump or write-in Sanders.

If it's Cruz vs Clinton, I WILL be writing in Sanders for sure.

Me, as a person online, will never convince you to vote for someone. You have to make an informed decision yourself. All I can do is advise you to look at ALL of the facts for each candidate and ask yourself why you'd vote for so-in-so.

For me, it'll always be: #NeverHillary

18. Bookworm616

Full disclosure, I did not vote for Clinton for either term. There is just something about that guy, he's smarmy. I didn't like him.

That being said, when Bill was president, the world was in a vastly different place than it is today. We can't say "we had Bill, so how bad could Hillary really be" anymore, because the world the new president will be coming into is so different.

You'd think, but let's journey back: the repeal of Glass-Steagall - helped form the housing bubble and subsequent recession, NAFTA - helped more companies send more jobs overseas, the Iraq War - we never should have invaded Iraq. Yes, hindsight is always 20/20, but the invasion was built on lies and governments not doing their jobs and vetting that Iraqi scientist. And, of course, getting rid of Saddam has thrown the entire region into chaos and thus Islamic State was born.

I came up with these without really trying. Yes, our country has checks and balances, but those don't always work the way they should and need to.

19. Bookworm616

Which is why we can't elect Clinton. She's the epitome of the establishment and she's anything but a Progressive.

A Clinton presidency would be more of the same, and change will never happen.

20. The Dark King

That was exactly my point more involvement is so necessary when it comes to our congress. If people scrutinized the assholes who voted so regularly against their interests the way they scrutinized the president (doesn't matter which one) we'd see real lasting change.