Random Political comments...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bliss, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Now that l see it's Brave New World, why are you AB (and Beasty) surprised? I remember my sister reading it in high school.
    I've never read it myself but it's very well known - it's not an obscure textbook read.
    Amazon have over 2000 reviews from lay-people, and considering it's science fiction, Paniro has made several threads and many posts in the Science Fiction section - he's alway been fascinated by it.
    How rude of you both. Have you read it, Beasty?

3. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

It was required in my junior year in high school. You could actually pick from a couple books. The time machine, Frankenstein, and brave new world. I loved all three still listen to them in audiobook form now. Especially on flights and when I have my welding hood down. You would be surprised by the number of books you can listen to while welding.

I guess thats where we differ, I can go off politics and talk about other shit these dudes get so heated about my opinion that they can't. Lol

4. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

Took the words right out of my mouth.

We never had to read Brave New World in HS, but in one of my classes, we had to read just the first 4 chapters of The Martian Chronicles (I believe it was a time constraint issue), but I loved it so much I read the entire book. LOL.

I have yet to read Brave New World, but I am going to get it on audiobook and listen to it in the car during my commute. :smt023

5. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

The reason I questioned Paniro about it is because he has a difficult time engaging in any level of discussion on this board.

How many threads does he have posted where he can't handle a simple follow up debate about a subject matter he's originally posted??

The man can't deal with the back and forth of written dialogue on a message board.
    Now I'm supposed to believe he reads Aldous Huxley 'frequently'??

It doesn't add up.

Maybe Paniro is a savant. Or autistic.

Somewhere there's a disconnect with how he presents himself on this board.

(Bliss, being assigned Brave New World in HS doesn't mean it's a kid's book, or that a teen understands or can appreciate the greater sociological narrative taking place in that book.)

Sorry but Paniro just isn't that guy to me.

And it's not really about Paniro's intelligence or lack thereof.
    I'm basing this off his posting history and inability to engage in a discussion about almost anything beyond a one-liner, or right wing talking points.

BTW calling Brave New World science fiction is like saying Animal Farm was about talking animals.

If in fact Paniro is deeper than he lets on, then there's something really sinister about the crap he often posts on WWBM.

He clearly has a much more subversive agenda, although most of us more or less figured the dude out years ago.

6. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

Panario was being serious when he said he read that book? Lol

7. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

I can't comment on B.N.W if it's science fiction or not, but that's the genre l saw referenced on Amazon. I've always also thought it was along the lines of 1984.

To be fair, l have seen him follow up on numerous occasions, however for some people yes, they drive-by, but for others it's an issue of time constraints. Epecially if his POV questions the narratives presented here - he has several of you challenging him.

I can't speak further on him, but l will speak for me as to why limited responses may occur, which WE ARE ALL GUILTY OF.

I used to use a desktop and laptop but now l use my phone and tablet and rarely my laptop..
    Sometimes l'll let responses go because l know it will turn into lengthy debates and l get drawn in on my phone which is crap on my eyes and my auto-correct has its own life..it's time consuming.
    I also have an addictive personality towards current affairs - the result is l neglect other things and people l have to tend to because of hashing it out with a select few here.

Or... I make it a point to return to it. I have three replies l want to already, including a past response to you.

Or..sometimes l simply walk away from a debate.. I might be satisfied with the answer a member provided responding to me, or someone else makes the point I wanted to make, thus avoiding redundancy...
    Or it's pointless to continue.

Again l speak for me.
    For the record...l enjoy many of your posts because they are so rich. You are one of the reasons l return because you're POV's are (generally) judicious, emotional, intellectual and passionate and those are beautiful traits to have in discussions. Plus you aren't an asshole.

8. The Dark King

The Dark King Well-Known Member

Damn even you a reader is on the audio book kick lol

9. andreboba

andreboba Well-Known Member

LOL. Thanx.:smt056

10. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

A utopia that is anything but a utopia. All the working class did was work while the upper class lived a life a leisure took a drug called soma and had sex all the time. If you were high born or low born you stayed that way. There was no upward mobility.

There will be a book report due after your read.

Another one is great expectations. If you haven't read that one. Do it!

11. The Dark King

You read Dickens? You liked it?

12. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Dude audiobooks are the shit. I have the audible two books a month deal and I love to see when I have new credits. Audio dramas are awesome too

13. The Dark King

Yeah me too just knew BOOKIE as a big bookworm lol

Right now I'm listening to two books at once it's great

14. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

Well I liked great expectations and a Christmas carol. It's nerdy but every Christmas on 740 am in Houston they play it and I listen to it every time. Lol

15. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

If you like audio drama horror listen to we're alive. Holy shit that one is good and very well acted.

16. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Crazy Uncle Joe was in Scranton yesterday and revealed that the VP also has access to the Nuclear codes!! :smt103
    Wow they are ripping him a new one.

He even actually outed the guy who carries the briefcase with the "football" codes behind him in a stupid attempt to prove that Trump shouldn't have access to them. What a fool. :smt037 :toimonster:

17. Bookworm616

Bookworm616 Well-Known Member

LOL! I was surprised by it, too.

I did it out of necessity. I'm STILL reading Game of Thrones, and I just can't read two books at once, so since it's taking me forever to get through the GoT books, I decided to try audiobooks.

I was growing bored of listening to the radio on my way home commute and after driving home for several days with the radio off in my car, I got to thinking about trying audiobooks. I've caught up on several Clive Cussler novels (he's my favorite author) and have grown to love listening to the books in the car on the way home.

But I only do it whilst I'm driving alone - otherwise I read actual books. :D

I had to read Great Expectations in HS and I thought it was boring. Dickens was paid by the word and it shows, IMO.

I haven't read any of his other books, but I do like A Christmas Carol, in movie form. LOL.

18. The Dark King

You'd like a tale of two cities. It's totally about Chicago

19. Paniro187

Paniro187 Restricted

btw download the sticher radio app and look for the game of thrones podcast by the guys from bald move.com. I love their commentary

20. Beasty

Beasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]