Remember when....

Discussion in 'Conversations Between White Women and Black Men' started by Bliss, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I loved mint. I had not tried grape. I guess it was pretty good when it was out at the time.

2. goodlove

goodlove New Member

They still make hubba bubva

3. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I haven't seen it around here much. I guess I out grew bubble gum. Do you remember when collector cards used to contain a stick of gum in every pack?

4. goodlove

goodlove New Member

I know it was in bazooka joe

5. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I grew up with Bazooka bubble gum. And I remember the Bazooka Joe comic strips.

6. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Did hubba bubba

7. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I used to get those at the penny candy store. Loved those comics.

8. RaiderLL

RaiderLL Well-Known Member

I remember getting that while trick or treating when I was young. That gum's hard as fuck lol.

Whaaaaaaa? Penny candy store?! :smt103:smt103:smt103

9. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

In the beginning, Hubbard Bubba had a little thing in the wrapper showing the fine art of blowing large bubbles. It was demonstrated by Hubbard Bubba's pitch man the Gumfighter. The commercials were western themed.

" Dadgum, my bubblegum!" The loser would say.

It went on for about a year until Starburst exploded on the candy scene(I remember it came out along with Pacer's Mint Chews, which I loved even more than Starburst).

10. archangel

archangel Well-Known Member

11. Thump

Thump Well-Known Member

Respect right back at you. I've never met a women who was into ninja stuff.

12. goodlove

goodlove New Member

[​IMG]

13. K

K Well-Known Member

She's going to be on some show this year. I think it's Celebrity Wife Swap. I just know they showed her on TV and my daughter said - who's that and then I had to try to explain Charo to her LOL

14. goodlove

goodlove New Member

Shes on it now...u shouldve told your daughter she was jlo of our time

15. K

K Well-Known Member

It's on here in an hour.

LOL didn't think about connecting her to a more current celeb. It ended up in a big conversation about celebs who were once famous and trying to come back around and how some have stayed famous. Stuff about Merv Griffin, variety shows progressing into talk shows, etc. Oh and how Johnny Carson discovered a lot of people.

16. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Charo! I absolutely love her spirit and energy. Anytime she was on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson or anyone else, she took over. It becomes her show and no one can stop her because she is a hurricane when she comes on. I had heard that she was taught classical guitar by the legendary Segovia in Spain. She has a restaurant in Hawaii that she runs with her son. She is a lot of fun then and still a lot of fun now.

17. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

Remember the tv plugs for albums, cassettes and 8-track tapes? Some of them were by the artist and some were collections of songs in the same genre. I remember when a greatest hits collection of singer Slim Whitman came out and not only was it good, it was memorable. I still can't get the song Una Paloma Blanca out of my head even to this day. Or Mel Tillis' collection. I didn't know he was a stutterer when he was not singing. Even Liberace pitched albums and a music book. This went on in the 70's and 80's. They still do it now with the Now That's What I Call Music collections.

18. Bug

Bug Well-Known Member

I remember when Starburst were called Opal Fruits (maybe a UK thing) I still call them Opal fruits

[​IMG]

19. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

20. Gorath

Gorath Well-Known Member

I think we had one of those things growing up and K-Tel Records were sometimes purchased.