Respect where it's due: BM/WW IR in History

Discussion in 'The Attraction Between White Women and Black Men' started by Silvercosma, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Bliss

Bliss Well-Known Member

Not in today's 'woke' and segregated cinematic climate. No doubt an exception would be made if it was reversed, but what producer would bother to invest in it, they'd be boycotted and ;blackballed (no pun). Not even a black one, in fact that would be even worse, he'd be hounded for giving this couple any shine or credit.

2. darkcurry

darkcurry Well-Known Member

You need filmmakers to stay within the right audiences like what they are already doing with other IR films and TV shows out now. It will be an important piece of sports history due to the nature of the relationship and what it represented. There will be no doubt pushback but as I have said before it's all about the environment and with it being a sports story they are already in the right environment.

3. orejon4

orejon4 Well-Known Member

I had never heard of Aldridge, and I also never knew about his IR, which was happening back in the early 1960s, which was definitely out of the ordinary. Kudos to them.

Agreed. The 'woke' crowd is the reactionary wing of the 'left' and they exert their own version of public pressure, although it's not often viewed as being as potent as conservative white anger.

Sports is one of the segments of society where I think people are expecting IR more, even if they may not approve of it.

4. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

Sidney Poitier had a brief relationship with Susan Denberg, a German-Austrian model and actress, in 1967. She once dated Sammy Davis Jr. too.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  5. darkcurry

Both relationships were pretty brief If I remember.

6. darkcurry

Jack Johnson and Etta Duryea

[​IMG]

7. Soulthinker

Soulthinker Well-Known Member

That is a very rare photo. First time l had seen it.

8. Soulthinker

German women get around. Had affairs or relationships with prominent Black men. Examples,MLK Jr,Frederick Douglass, etc.

9. Soulthinker

I heard or read about it years back. Pete Roswell tried to forbid Black players for dating or having relationships with White women.

10. Soulthinker

Yes,one of their daughters wrote a book about it. Sadly, she left us a year or two ago.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  11. orejon4

Bummer. These relationships required a lot of strength back then.

12. orejon4

This thread sort of makes me wonder - will any of our relationships go down in the annals of IR history as noteworthy?

13. Othello1967

Othello1967 Active Member

I don`t think so. They broke the glass ceiling. I am not saying things today are perfect but they are a whole lot better than in the past.

14. Same, and I've seen the Unforgivable Blackness documentary and read the book it was based on, but neither had that photo.

15. Soulthinker

I saw the JJ documentary which Miles Davis contributed to the music and that photo was not shown,neither are the other biographies of him.

16. SilverSmith

SilverSmith Well-Known Member

After parting ways with his wife, jazz composer/bandleader Duke Ellington entered into long-term relationships with two women, one of whom was Fernanda de Castro Monte. They were romantically involved from the 1960s to the 1970s. Ellington died in 1974 at the age of 75.

snapedit_1705343134489 (2).jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2024
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  17. Xyphorr

Xyphorr Well-Known Member

I was watching documentary on Jazz last night and it's clearly obvious that Pannonica de Koenigswarter was romantically attracted to Thelonius Monk.
    Every pic of her and Thelonius has her smiling and giving him lustful, googly eyes to the point where you'd think they were a married couple lol, and they more than likely would've been in a actual romantic relationship had he not been married already. Even Thelonious's wife knew she was in love with him even though they never officially swirled, the energy and chemistry was there for many years.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]